Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 am

The cream looks soothing. The link to the probiotic did not give much info. You would watch out for too much sugar in the product (look at the list of ingredients on the package). Probiotics are flexible. Read more:
probiotics.html

Since ear drops are not ingested, a wide range of antibiotics can be used.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 am

The probiotic should be ok. The cream should also, if you apply it sparingly and rub it in well. I'd prefer just plain cold pressed virgin coconut oil if you can get it, though.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Ditto Lynx and bpatters.

Do follow up on selamectin if the vet can get it, too.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank you everyone for helping.
I applied the cream today for the first time. I dont have much experience with applying creams to piggies, so tried to be as cautious as possible. I applied as little as I could and rubbed it in his skin and kept him out of his cage for a good 15/20 minutes, so that he wouldn't lick it immediately and would allow the skin to absorb the cream.

The link to the probiotic dint give all the information, that's why I wrote additional information as listed on the package. Sandy seems to like the probiotic and takes it willingly :)

Sandy has a follow up appointment in three days, will enquire about Selamectin that time.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Sounds like a plan. Please keep us posted.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:40 pm

How long do you generally give ear drops and enrofloxacin?
Sandy has stopped eating from yesterday. First two days he was eating and pooping normally inspite of being in so much pain and his condition not diagosed. I guess antibiotics and pain killer has taken a toll on him. I generally give him medicines with food but yesterday since he was munching his food, I thought he has a full stomach and gave him medicines, he ate a little coriander after that and then he stopped eating. I am hand feeding him and will take him to the vet in the evening.

Any advice or suggestions please.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 am

When you measure the antibiotic, how much do you think you are giving? What do you use to draw the dose? I ask because it was such a concentrated solution that this would be a very tiny amount. I had calculated out this range:
I come up with a low of 0.016cc to a high of 0.065cc using a concentration of 100mg/ml and a weight of 0.65kg.
Here is a crop of a 1cc syringe:

I think you are doing things right. It could be he is not handling the enrofloxacin well.
antibiotic_advice.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Lynx, I give him 0.1 ml twice a day. I draw the dose from a 1cc needless syringe.

I asked my vet about the concentration of her enrofloxacin bottle and she said its the same 10% bottle. If its the same concentration then I think my NEW vet might have overdosed my piggy. Oh my God, what should I do now?
No wonder he has been sleeping a lot and loses his balance and falls down while walking because of dizziness. He hasn't lost any weight yet and the vet told me to give him the medicine for one more day and then stop because his head tilt has gone and his ear looks better. He did well the first two days but then he lost his appetite.

I read on the antibiotic page that Baytril is generally given for more than a week but my vet prescribed for only 5 days. Should I give him for 7 days and then stop? How do I know if his ear infection has cleared or no? For how many days do you generally give antibiotics for a ear infection?

What enrofloxacin dose should I give him tomorrow? 0.016cc, 0.065cc or 0.1cc?

Please please help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Baytril can go as high as 15 mg/kg of pig. 0.1 mL of a 100 mg/mL solution is 10 mg.

I've had vets use very high doses for shorter than usual periods of time to try to really hammer an infection.

Right now I would give lots, and lots, AND LOTS of probiotics. See Lynx' link.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

0.1 ml of a 100mg/ml solution is 10mg for a kilo pig. Sandy was 620 grams when started with enrofloxacin. So the vet calculated 16.13mg/kg for Sandy of the 100mg/ml solution, which is really high I guess. Sandy has increased to 700 grams now and tonite is the last dose of his 5 days course.

I will observe him tomorrow for the after effects of the medicine. He is eating really less and is still very lethargic and dizzy. I am force feeding him. Hope he improves from tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

How many times in a day can you give probiotics?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:03 pm

You give probiotics about an hour or so after every dose of antibiotic.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Yes, I give probiotics after antibiotics twice a day. Can you give probiotics more than twice?