Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:13 am

Thank you Lynx and bpatters.

bpatters, he is already on doxycycline since 10 days without a break. I will continue for four more days, so that would complete two weeks. My new vet had prescribed 13mg/kg for one week. But I gave the standard dosage of 5mg/kg for the fear of overdosing.

How long should I continue to give doxycycline? Is there a standard time as to how long doxycycline should be given?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am

Length of treatment would be at the discretion of a veterinarian. There is no standard length of time. Factors that I imagine would be considered are tolerance and positive response when a vet would be deciding to continue and the issue is not completely resolved.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:54 am

My boar Cupid, 7.7 years old (will complete 7.8 years this 17th) has swollen and crusty eyes and has injured his leg. He struggles to carry his weight on his leg and tumbles down.

He always had a little crust around his eyes since he was born. Even when he was treated for URI, he had the crust. Last month while removing the crust, he was kicking me and then I realized that I had plucked a little hair with each crusty part. He started blinking a little more than normal after that but seemed normal otherwise.

I came home yesterday from my in-laws house and saw he couldn't open his eyes. My brother and mother have been taking care of him since my marriage two months back. They are not very good with identifying illness or something unusual. So I really dont know since how long has he had his eyes problem. Mom said his eyes looked normal all the time but she dint look at him closely. Also since he is black, the area around his eyes is also black, so it is a little difficult for a new caretaker to identify the problem.

His incisors have grown and he is eating less which will get trimmed at the vet tomorrow. He has loose stools because he is eating more vegetables. He is hardly eating the hay. He has a vet appointment tomorrow as the vet was out of town. So before going to the vet, I wanted to be prepared with everything here as there are not very skilled exotic vets in India.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to cover all the details. I have sent the pictures to Lynx for your reference. What could be the problem with Cupid's eyes?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am

The eye condition looks very serious. I don't know what is wrong. I cropped your pics to show they eye more clearly (vs. shrinking them all).

It reminds me of eyes that are severely injured. I would carefully apply a warm wet compress to each eye and see if you can clean it. Weigh him right now. I suspect he has lost weight if he is having tooth issues. The eyes may have a bacterial infection in which case an ophthalmic antibacterial ointment may help. Let us know what the vet says.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am

I had cleaned his eye with a q-tip today, tried to remove dirt from the corner of his eye. His weight is between 575-600 grams.

What is a warm wet compress? How do I apply it?

Kimera

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

A piece of gauze or other clean cloth moistened with warm water, preferably saline. Put it against the closed eye and keep it there for a while to soften and wash away the pus.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 am

Update from the vet:
Cupid has crusty eyes, purulent discharge, loose motions, nasal discharge, severe blepharitis around eyes, keratinization and pododermatitis on left forelimb. He also had a wheezing and crackling sound when the vet examined his chest. (Poor baby has everything coming together :(

Vet gave him inj. D5 5ml, Inj. Bayrocin @ 10mg/kg, Inj. Dexa @ 0.2mg/kg, Inj. Vit C @ 50mg/kg.
For the bumblefoot, vet said to soak his foot in warm diluted Betadine solution. She told to give Cupid a nice warm bath with antifungal shampoo to remove poop stuck to his hair and skin because of loose stools.

The vet prescribed the following medicines:
Meloxicam- 0.08ml once X 3days
Bactrim- 0.8ml twice X 5days
Dizylac powder (probiotic)- 1 scoop twice X 10days
Opthocare KT drops- 1 drop twice X 5days
Refresh Liquigel- 1 drop 3/4 times X 5days
Guinea Pig M drops (Multivitamin drops)- 4 drops daily x 1month
Vitamin C supplement- 0.2ml once X 1month

Are all the medicines safe? Are the dose correct? Cupid weighs 598grams.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:11 am

I just saw that the Bactrim bottle says:

Each 5ml contains
Trimethoprim IP 40mg
Sulphamethoxazole IP 200mg

According to my calculations, Cupid (598grams) should receive 0.3ml but the vet precribed 0.8ml.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 am

Yes, it does seem higher than normal, although Bactrim is pretty safe. You would watch for diarrhea.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#bactrim
Oral Dosage: 30 mg/kg q12h (i.e. 30mg/kg is given every 12 hours, for a total of 60 mg/kg in 24 hours) dot Calculate Dose in mg and cc

Bactrim is a commonly used human and veterinary antibiotic and generally comes in a standard suspension. Each 5.0 ml of this pediatric oral suspension (one of the drugs sometimes referred to as "the pink stuff") contains 200mg sulfamethoxazole and 40mg trimethoprim/5ml for a total of 240mg active ingredients/5ml or 48mg/cc. A dose of 0.625 cc would provide 30mg bactrim for a pig of one kilo (2.2 pounds).
I hope he responds to the treatment. Some info on pododermatitis in the guide:
pododermatitis.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am

I gave him 0.3ml bactrim for now. But how much should I actually give? He already has loose stools and I dont want him to go to the watery state. There are no skilled exotic vets in India, they still treat guinea pigs as an experiment and will prescribe whatever they feel. Please please help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am

The 0.3ml is about correct for that weight and concentration.

www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Thank you so much Lynx. I will stick to 0.3ml twice a day then.