Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Either just before the next ivermectin dose or two or three days after.

Are there any directions on the shampoo?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 am

Yes, it says to keep shampoo on the scalp for 5 minutes before rinsing.
It doesn't specific the frequency of usage.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 am

Ah, those are human recommendations.

I'd settle in to once a week and time it to be before you treat with ivermectin. She would be shampooed, rinsed, dried, and then tried with ivermectin topically.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat May 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you Lynx.

I was wondering how do one wash a guinea pig's face? I think Sandy might have fungus on his nose because he has started losing hair on that part.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Don't wash it. Get an antifungal cream and apply sparingly to the nose twice a day for several days. It should start to look better by then if it's a fungus.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 pm

My boars are having soft, squishy, unshaped, brownish and smelly poops. They are not on any drugs except Ivermectin applied topically. I read about diarrhea here and tried cutting down on veggies and giving more hay but that dint work because my piggies rely more on veggies than hay and I dint want them to starve and loose weight. They are acting completely normal except for the poops.They have always had soft poops but this time its worse.

I have 60 ml Metronidazole Benzoate oral solution and each 5ml contains 200mg Metronidazole. I am confused how much to give them because the Anti-parasite page says 20-60mg/kg every 12hours. So what should I consider-20mg/kg or more?

Also I bought two probiotics. Which one should I give and how much?
1. Nutrolin B syrup - contains lactic acid bacillus, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Nicotinamide, Vitamin B6 and B3.

2. Enterogermina Oral suspension - contains bacillus clausii spores.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Sorry, but you're doing them no favors by giving more veggies than hay. Not only will veggies not keep their teeth ground down and set them and you up for painful and expensive dental problems, but they miss the protein they'd get from the hay. Forget the probiotics and the Metronidazole (which can, all by itself, cause soft poops), and buy them some good hay. Ignore their pitiful pleas for more veggies, and limit them to about a cup a day each.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Go for good, high quality hay. Nice and leafy green and fragrant.
www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm

They normally get around 2/3 cups of vegetables a day. Sandy will starve and wait until his next veggie meal but will hardly eat the hay. He will eat few strands when fresh but will not touch it later. Even when he had his dental surgery few years back, he wasn't able to eat veggies but still dint eat hay. How do I encourage him to eat hay? What do I do if he starts loosing weight?

Cupid eats a good amount of hay and veggies but he is still having poop issues.

I will gradually reduce the amount of veggies to one cup and change the type of hay and see if they improve.

Thank you everyone for your help.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 19, 2017 3:43 pm

The best bet is to try a different kind of hay.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:54 am

My piggies have been on Ivermectin since two months(8 doses) and on antifungal shampoo(Ketoconazole) for a month now. Their scratching has reduced but not completely gone. How long should I continue to give them Ivermectin and antifungal bath? Could the scratching be due to some other reasons?

Any tips, similer experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Do they have dry skin? Is there any possibility the antifungal baths are drying out skin and causing the scratching?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:10 pm

After shampooing, their coat becomes very silky but the skin where new hairs are growing becomes a little dry. They vibrate everytime while bathing and drying, like they are in pain. I think I will stop the antifungal baths and apply Miconazole cream as both serve the same purpose. Hopefully the cream will not dry out their skin and treat fungus.

My vet feels that since topical treatment is not working, we could try oral treatment, like deworming them. Any views/suggestions on this?

Yesterday I gave 9th dose of Ivermectin to them. Should I stop Ivermectin also?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 pm

It may be the shampoo is drying the skin then. I would see if stopping the fungal treatments helps. If you think there is still any possibility of mites, Revolution could help.

Looking at the original pictures you sent, it looks much more like mites than fungus (though they can be concurrent and treating for fungus was still a reasonable move). If you have any cold pressed coconut oil, it could sooth dry skin. Keep a close eye on the skin and look for redness.

It is possible you could get an inexpensive digital microscope to take pictures of the skin. I have been able to do that to identify very tiny bugs. It would allow you to monitor the skin for changes and let your vet know what you see in case it worsens.

This is one example of an inexpensive digital microscope:
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microscope-Flexible-Observation-Magnification/dp/B00XNYXQHE/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1497667573&sr=1-4&keywords=digital+microscope

This link does weird things if I make it live. Just copy and paste instead.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Ditto Lynx. A topical cream will at this point I think be better than additional bathing. Cold pressed virgin coconut oil may help as well.

I would try Revolution (selamectin, it may be called Stronghold in your country) topically before any kind of oral dewormer. Guinea pigs do not need to be dewormed unless they've picked up serious parasites, usually from being outdoors.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you Lynx and Talishan for your help.
I will stop the antifungal baths and try my luck with antifungal cream and cold pressed coconut oil. If the scratching still doesn't stop then will ask my vet for Selamectin. My piggies have never been out except for vet visits. They are always in the house under the fan/AC.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Sandy has been experiencing a head tilt, loss in appetite and has removed all his chest hair.
Took him to a new vet today (my vet is out of country for a month) and she said that his lymph nodes has enlarged and have asked for a dental X-ray.
She also said that he has ear infection and gave ear drops-
http://www.petshop18.com/scientific-remedies-calm-ear-drop-for-dogs

She gave Enroflaxacin (0.1 ml twice a day X 5 days) and a Probiotic (1 gram added to food X 10days)-
https://petshopindia.com/mera-pet-dizylac-power-dry-syrup-for-pets
Additional information- powder contains Bacteria/Yeast (lactobacillus acidophilus, saccharomyces boulardii), Enzymes (pepsin, papain, bromelain, protease, lipase, amylase, oxbile), Electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride), Amini acids (glutamine, methionine), MOS & FOS.

For the hair loss and thick,dark,itchy skin on the belly she has prescribed cream-
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.tabletwise.com/moisturex-skin-cream/amp?espv=1
She said Selamectin is not available in India and she will have to check with her supplier if he has it.

My questions:
1. Are all the medications and probiotic she prescribed correct? (Because she is new to me)
2. What is the exact dosage (mg/kg) for enrofloxacin? Guinealynx page says 2.5-10.0 mg/kg. I have a 10% solution and each ml contains 100mg. Sandy weighs 620 grams. What would be the exact dose for him?

Thanking you in advance.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Edit:
I have a 100ml bottle of 10% solution of Enrofloxacin and each ml contains 100mg. What would be the dose then?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 pm

That's a pretty concentrated amount of enrofloxacin. Check over http://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html to do the calculations.

p.s. there is no "exact dose" for enrofloxacin. A range of dosages is listed. Depending on what is wrong, a vet may give more or less.

So if you use the 2.5mg/kg you will get one dose and if you use the 10mg/kg you will get a larger one. Or the dose could be something in between, like 5mg/kg. The dose you give should fall within that range.

I come up with a low of 0.016cc to a high of 0.065cc using a concentration of 100mg/ml and a weight of 0.65kg.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:33 am

Thank you Lynx for helping with Enrofloxacin dosage. I am more confident now.

I checked the ingredients of the ear drops and they are all listed here on guinealynx, so I am assuming it is safe to use.

Now if someone could please help with the cream and probiotic, I would be 100% stressfree. Are they ok? Should I continue with the same?

302 posts