Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm so sorry you lost him. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that seven is a great age for a guinea pig, and he obviously had a wonderful life with you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Oh, Pooja Mehta, I am so sorry to hear you lost him. He sounds like he was such a special guinea pig - one that was so well-loved. You have all my sympathy. I am sure he knew you loved him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 am

Godspeed and safe passage, Sandy. Your spirit and being are whole, and healthy, now. Comfort and joy to you. You will never be forgotten.

Hugs to you, Pooja.

For him to be noticeably recovering from the Baytril, to be eating better, and to be eating shortly before he passed, tells me he had heart failure or perhaps a stroke. For a piggy over 7 this would not be surprising. He did not suffer, and there is nothing you could have done.

I will take a chance here and guess you may be Hindu. If so -- know that Ganesha smiles upon Sandy now.

As a man, casting worn-out garments,
taketh new ones, so the dweller in the body,
casting off worn-out bodies,
entereth into others that are new...

For certain is death for the born,
and certain is birth for the dead;
therefore over the inevitable
thou shouldst not grieve.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just know that Sandy is now happy and healthy and popcorning all over the place while he waits for you at the Rainbow Bridge. Sending prayers and hugs to you.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Thank you everyone for comforting me. I dint get a chance to tell him how much I loved him. I wonder if he knew :(

Talishan, I am a Hindu. I am surprised as well as happy that you know so much about my culture. I know Lord Ganesha is taking care of him and Sandy is very happy with Him.

RIP little one :*

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Sandy was experiencing impaction when on Enrofloxacin (had a little problem before but not serious). Whenever I was around I used to help him to get the poop out but when he died I wasn't around and he had lots and lots of poop stuck inside. I really wanted to take it out but he had already become stone cold by the time I reached and I felt I shouldn't torture his body like that anymore.

Can impaction cause death?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Not that quickly. Males that are severely impacted for days, weeks or months will obviously have problems if they can't pass stool easily (or at all), but they will also act a lot sicker. It won't happen in a day.

He knows how much you love him. He does not need words. He knew, from the way you handled him, cared for him and treated him. They know.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 am

Cupid's abscess/cyst has ruptured again. Took him to the new vet for a second opinion (since my regular vet said the wound has become too big for a surgery and she wouldn't get enough skin to stitch, also Cupid is old-7.3 years to undergo such a risky surgery)
New vet took a culture to test and after the results told me to start Doxycycline to see if the wound will reduce in size. She said that it is a non-healing ulcerative wound and is self mutilating. She also thinks that Cupid is too old to go through anesthesia for such a long and risky surgery.
She asked me to dissolve 100mg capsule in 10 ml water and give 1 ml to Cupid (725-750grams) twice a day. I have never given capsule to any of my piggy before. I read here that the standard dose is 5mg/kg. And according to what new vet has prescribed, the dosage goes to 10mg/ml. Its really high, dont you think? How much should I actually give him then?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 am

There's a range of dosing for doxycycline for most conditions, and it's not one of the worst antibiotics as far as the digestive tract is concerned. If you're worried, you could give less to start off with, and if he tolerates it well, then increase it.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am

Thank you bpatters.
Assuming the standard dose of 5mg/kg and 735grams in weight, Cupid should receive around 3.7mg. After dissolving 100mg capsule in 10 ml water and to receive 3.7mg doxycycline, Cupid should get 0.37ml.
Can someone please please check my calculation and advise if I should go ahead. I am worried about overdosing him with new vet's prescribed 10mg/kg dose. I will start with the calculated dose (5mg/kg) and increase if needed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:28 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Have you used the dose calculator?
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

You will want to watch for antibiotic intolerance.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

You wrote:
And according to what new vet has prescribed, the dosage goes to 10mg/ml.
And then you wrote:
I am worried about overdosing him with new vet's prescribed 10mg/kg dose.
These are two different things. One is the concentration of the drug in the suspension, which at 100mg in 10ml of water yields 10mg/ml. The other is the dosage. I believe the dose is what you calculate for your guinea pig after you know his weight and have the other data.

Glancing at your figures, they look more or less okay (10mg/ml solution and 5mg/kg dose).

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you Lynx. I gave Cupid the standard dose of 5mg/kg doxycycline according to his weight.

Cupid's culture reports says:-
A few pus and epithelial cells, a few gram negative bacilli and a rich growth of E.coli
The vet had asked me to give doxycycline for a week and stop. Today is the seventh day of his medicines.
His abscess/cyst hasn't reduced in size and he still bites and removes blood. I have to keep dressing the wound with Betadine and surgical tape. The abscess/cyst looks much better than before, though.

Should I give medicines for few more days or stop from tomorrow?