Baytril for URI

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:30 pm

Hi! I am new to posting here although I have been lurking for a long time.

I have a sick piggie and I need help.

I took Zelda to the vet on Friday and she was diagnosed with a URI and prescribed Baytril. I was also given Oxbow powder (I think it´s also called critical care). Boy does she hate it!!
She has not been eating or drinking. I have been trying everything. I am now force feeding her, along with her medicine, yogurt and water. She has never been a fan of ANY fruits or veggies but I am trying them also. She has always eaten plenty of hay and pellets.

I am so worried about her. She is so little, I can´t imagine she can take much more.
We got her one year ago ande all love her soooooo much.

Is the lack of appetite a side effect of Baytril? If it is am I doing her any good by giving it to her?
I have a call into my vet and I really wish she would call back soon. Zelda is just laying in the corner of her cage under her water bottle. She has shown absolutely no signs of improvement. I gave her a cozy towel in her "house" but she doesn´t even want to go to it. I can see her breathing. Of course it looking like she´s breathing heavy to me because I´m being so critical. Should I just take her to the vet without waiting for the call? Is it possible she could (I hate to say this) die from this?
We just lost our 11 year old dog last month and my two sons aren´t quite over that yet.

I´m sorry for going on so much. I´m going to give the vet another call. I hope someone has some advice for me.

Thanks,
Bethann

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:54 pm

I sounds serious. Yes, sometimes Baytril depresses their appetite, but sometimes it,s the illness itself that makes them not want to eat. It is EXTREMELY important that you keep feeding her. Their system are designed in a way that they have to eat almost constantly. if she doesn´t eat, her liver will eventually (after 12-24 hours) shut down and then, it´s almost impossible to bring them back.

Yes, pigs can die from URIs if they are not treated with the right meds or if they become anorexic. Baytril usually does a good job, but it would be a good idea to ask your vet to switch to something else, since it doesn´t seem to agree with her. Doxycycline, Bactrim and Chloramphenicol are good choices.

It is extremely important that you keep food going through her system. You may have to fight her for it, but it needs to be done. Also, you need to keep her hydrated. A hydration SubQ from the vet is a good idea. Also, make sure to syringe her fluids in her mouth. Critical Care is very balanced so you won´t need to add anything (vitamins, etc) to it.

Did you read the piece on the information pages about force feeding? Make sure to read it. You need a 1cc syringe (without the needle) and you need to cut the tip off so you have an even cylinder.

If we can be of any more help, don´t hesitate.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:57 pm

I don´t know where you live, but if you could offer her fresh grass (not contaminated with chemicals or dog dropings), I´m pretty sure she´d like it.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:00 pm

In the Main index, read under Anorexia.
http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:05 pm

Thanks. I know it´s silly, but I feel that I´m making her feel worse by picking her up and shoving things in her mouth all day. However, I will continue to do so. I put another call in to the vet. She is in an emergency and will get back to me as soon as possible. Thanks so much for your help. I know you all understand how I feel.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:21 pm

I know it looks cruel to shove stuff down her throat, but if you don´t do that, she will die. Fighting over food with her is the lesser of two evils. So keep doing it and make sure she gets enough.

If you read the "What is a ..." thread on this same board (emergency), you´ll find lots of useful tips.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:51 pm

Just make sure you give her time to swallow -- make sure she is chewing so she doesn´t choke. As pointed out, it sounds like she really does need to be switched to another med. You can read the article on Antibiotic Intollerance on Guinea Lynx (see link at top and look in the index).

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:18 pm

She could have an intolerance to Baytril. If there are no improvements after 48 hours or she is worse - then it is a good idea to switch meds. There is a real risk of the URI turning into pneumonia which is harder to treat than a URI.

I have had really good results from Doxycycline 5mg/kg twice daily. Others have had good results from bactrim and chloramphenicol.

Hydration subcue with C and B added into the solution is the best thing you could do for her aside from switching meds.

And you absolutely must keep handfeeding.

Read these articles on antibiotic intolerance

http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/antibiotic_intolerance.html

http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/antibiotic_intolerance.html

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:29 pm

I just spoke with my vet about Zelda. She wants me to call her first thing in the morning if Zelda is not doing better. The vet is now closed. She was calling after hours. She thinks Zelda may have a blockage because she is not pooping. I think it´s the lack of food. I am afraid she wont make it that long. I just got 1.5cc of critical care into her. She is fighting the feeding. I´m having a hard time getting her to swallow. I don´t want her to choke. I am at loss here. She is really the sweetest little pig. I would love to see her in her cage squealing for attention again.
I went outside to get some fresh grass and she shows no interest at all. She has no desire to eat. Her breathing seems to be labored.
Thanks for you concern and I´ll keep you updated. I´m sure it will be a long night for me and my Zelly.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:40 pm

You need to get her to an emergency clinic for a hydration subcue. It will help her enormously. Lethargy is a sign of dehydration.

If she´s hydrated she´ll find it easier to eat. If you can´t get her to an emergency clinic, syringe unflavoured pedialyte into her. But hydration subcue treatment is best since they can get 20-40 cc´s of fluid into her at once.

She absolutely should change meds if she is getting worse. Now - not later. I wish I could do more to help.

If there is fluid in the lungs(pneumonia) - Lasix might help but it is dehydrating and not to be done without a hydration subcue or if she has any evidence of kidney problems.

I would try to get her on Doxycycline - our pigs have had the least side effects from it and it is great for URIs. It is of the tetracycline family so it isn´t to be taken lightly, but we have always had success with it at the 5mg/kg twice daily dose.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:48 pm

Definitely she must have her meds changed - it´s been too long without improvement.

I can´t stress enough how important it is to move fast when they are sick. It is worth an emergency clinic visit. If they don´t have doxycycline - ask for Bactrim.

What she has may be resisitant to the baytril.

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:36 pm

If you do see an emergency vet make certain they don´t give her amoxicyllin (sp?). When I took Cookie to the emergency vet, they switched her from sulfatrim to amoxicyllin. They gave her one dose there. Fortunately, I got on line. found out it was toxic, and did not give her anymore. When Cookie stopped eating, they gave her metoclopram as an appetite stimulant. I already was giving her 25CC SQ daily and that really kept her going.

Keep at the hand feeding. I had to try several different holds and had to be very brave about holding her head. The info on the pages mentioned is really helpful. I also mixed the Critical Care with a little bit of unsweetened cranberry juice and the vet suggested mixing it with a little bit of baby food.

Good luck. I would go to the emergency clinic IF they know what they´re doing! Where are you?

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:05 pm

I am in Massachsuetts. My vet doesn´t have emergency hours. The place they referred me to doesn´t treat guinea pigs. I´m sure Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston treats guinea pigs but that is not an option since I am 30 miles from Boston and I am home with my two young boys while my husband is at work. I just gave her some pedialyte. She is breathing so fast. She is refusing to swallow and is so weak. I will keep a vigil overnight and take her to the vet first thing in the morning. I am not going to give her anymore Baytril.

Poseylover

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:07 pm

Oh dear badonahue... I sure know what you´re going through. We had our little Posey at the Vets on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week. She´s had injected pain meds, Baytril, injected fluids and I´ve been force feeding her every 2 to 3 hours.

I have been force feeding Posey with a 35CC syringe. She gets 10 cc´s every 2 to 3 hours. I´ve been feeding her carrots (babyfood, just carrots and water... not the starchy kind) half and half with rehydrated pellets and extra Vit C. drops. Posey has become so used to the forced feedings now that I don´t even need to bunny her up in a towel. She´ll just sit in my lap and let me feed her.

Now tonight, I finally caught Posey munching on hay all on her own, upon which the entire house roared with a cheer to startle the neighbourhood! The poor piggie must have wondered what on earth all these humans are raising such a stink about! LOL!

Anyhow... I´ll be thinking about you and your piggy... sub-cutaneous fluids would help her immensely. Posey brightened up within a couple of hours of having extra fluids injected.

~~Catherine

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:15 pm

They don´t have to treat guinea pigs to give a hydration subcue. 20cc´s in the shoulder.

--------------

Can you get her to Angell when your husband gets home?

I´m sorry but it really does sound like life or death. She needs veterinary help as soon as possible.

If it is antibiotic intolerance you dhould see improvements in 12 hours. But if she is still ill than the improvements from being off the baytril will be masked by the continuing infection.
Last edited by pinta on Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:24 pm

unfortunetly, My husband wont be home until morning. I will do all I can overnight.
Again, thank you again for all your concern.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:28 pm

Keep trying to hydrate her then. Try a steam humidifier to help her breath or put her in a steamy bathroom. Keep her on a heating pad or a towel wrapped hot water bottle.

I wish I could help more.

Poseylover

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:39 pm

Are you giving her water from a dropper or syringe? Even if some (or most) of it dribbles down her chin, at least SOME of it will make it into her tummy and give her some hydration.

...will be thinking of you.

~~Catherine

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:44 pm

Yes I am giving her water and pedialyte. I am trying to do all I can. If I could get her to an emergency vet believe me I would. I want nothing more than for her to be well.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:16 pm

One of the medications mentioned, bactrim, is a human medication often given to children. It is also known as sulfa trim or sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim oral suspension, usp 200mg/40mg per 5 ml. I think the dosage is on Squeak pig´s safe med page (a link can be found in the index in Guinea Lynx).

I hope she makes it through the night.

36 posts