Concerned about hurt leg/foot

rap4th

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:41 pm

Sorry, my message did not post...I will try again...

rap4th

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:46 pm

I am new to these boards so bear with me.

I am the proud owner of 2 cute piggies!!

I do have a concern that happened last night. As I was putting one of them back into the cage, it leaped from my hands and landed on the cage floor. The drop was only about 6 inches. I got really scared that he might have hurt himself. I was able to catch him again and checked each one of his legs and feet. No sign of loss of strength to any of the feet for legs and no signs of pain. I put him back down in the cage and he runs around like he normally does. I followed up on him throughout the night and again this morning and he seems fine.

Should I worry about this any more since he seems fine? I really feel guilty about letting this happen.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:03 pm

Accident happen. Keep an eye on him and bring him to the vet if you see something off.

You don´t have a wire bottom in that cage, do you?

rap4th

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:11 pm

no I do not have a wire cage

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:49 pm

You´re probably okay. If you keep an eye on him (as advised) that´s really the only thing you can do.

LynnK

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:10 pm

Well I was going to post the same thing today but you beat me to it rap4 My Wickett had a bad fall some time ago and it would seem that he likes to just sit in one spot most of the day his one front foot he favors since the fall so he poops and peas in one spot all day so I clean that spot every day and give him a little wash cloth wash just about every day to keep his tummy clean. He also has malocclusion so I have him in once a month for that my vet don´t seem to think there is much he can do except just to keep an eye out for bumblefoot and make sure that he don´t hurt the other front foot. My poor baby I still feel so bad for him. The fall was my fault I left the cage door open and there is about 6-8 inches from the floor and the door comes out and down so he was playing and got pushed out by one of his cage mates and caught his foot on the cage door. He seemed ok at first but then started limping. Well that´s about it thanks you wonderful people!

Lynn K

lisam

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:45 pm

Mine haven´t had very long falls, but just up and down from the tops of their huts. It is a possibility that that is how Luke had gotten his nerve damage in his mouth. I find that when I put the pigs back in their cages, it helps to turn them around and put them in rear end first, that way they are less likely to leap from your hands.

Alfie

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:02 pm

That´s a great suggestion, Lisa. Hadn´t thought of that one before.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1