Alice- female discharge

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I am going to start a thread for Alice.
Almost 6 week old Silkie sow.
Weighs daily at same time. Current weight: 8.3 oz
Steady weight within .1 oz

Today, noticed clear discharge from her girl bits. Discharge is sticky.
Did not smell like anything until 1 hour ago. Smells slightly fishy.
Wiped with warm cloth periodically throughout the day.
Vet appointment tomorrow morning.

No change in activity or appetite. Still as chatty as always. Slightly cranky and tries to nip when I am wiping her. Pain?

Is she "in heat"? Is this the beginning of a UTI?
I'm clueless and sort of scared, being a beginner at this.
Thanks for bearing with me.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Guinea pigs do not menstruate like humans. They do have heat or seasons per se, but rarely will you really be able to tell.

UTI is a possibility; so is a uterine infection. If it is a pyometra, that requires immediate attention but if there is a discharge (open pyometra), that is a little better than a closed pyometra.

Please let us know what the vet says. Is your vet cavy-knowledgeable? Not all vets are; in fact, most aren't.

If not, you have a couple good vets available to you: Dr. Chris Griffin in Kannapolis and Dr. Lauren Powers in Charlotte/Huntersville.

https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/inde ... h_Carolina

I mention this because you say you're new to guinea pigs. She needs a vet (and kudos to you for knowing that), but the vet needs to know guinea pigs.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

I am holding out hope here. There is a discharge, so open pyometra would be more likely. I'm guessing I caught it as early as can be caught, as I have to wipe her girl area each morning.
Is there any advice you can give me as far as what to expect, should this be open pyometra?
She has never been nor planned on EVER being bred. Spay is fine if needed. I've read so much here about illnesses and such, but I'm just really scared. I had a girl before who was doomed from jump. That hurt. Bad.
But Alice started healthy and I have done everything I can to make sure she stays that way.
Any advice or reassurance or reprimand is absolutely welcome.

ETA: what causes this kind of infection?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 pm

I took too long to edit..
Wanted to add that there is no squeaking while peeing.
No blood in urine. It is a little milky, but no grit.
When I got her, the main veggie she got was carrot. I have decreased it, gradually to half a baby carrot twice a day.
I also give her red leaf lettuce, yellow bell pepper, and a cilantro sprig in the morning.
Evening time is green leaf, small piece of cucumber, green pepper, the other half of baby carrot. Three times a week she gets a small slice of apple.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 pm

If it is a pyometra (uterine infection), I have no idea what causes them. Where did you get her?

I'd lean more toward UTI, since I would think a uterine infection would be less likely in a pig this young, but I am not a vet, nor tech, nor medical professional of any kind.

I can't see doing a spay on a pig as young as 6 weeks, but again, I don't know very much about it. If it were to be an open pyometra I would *think* (repeat *think*) antibiotics could be used to treat it.

You need a vet that knows their stuff. Baytril, for example, should not be given to young cavies unless there is just absolutely no other option.

Your diet (I'm assuming unlimited access to free choice grass hay is included) sounds fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am

Do read over www.guinealynx.info/.html

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 am

Thank you, Lynx and Talishan.
I have to say that I am pretty confident about it being easily treated. As much reading as I have done and as much attention I give to her, I know that she is doing everything as normal for her. She is just a little cranky when I wipe her girl area. I will update with what the vet says.
I know I say it a lot, but I am so very thankful for this forum.

Edit: free access to Timothy hay and pellets.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Alice has a UTI. The vet helped to clip around her "area".
0.3 cc Bactrim twice daily.
She had a piece of hair stuck in "there".
She is a little cranky, but otherwise the same Alice as always.
She has to go in for a followup on March 11th.
Do I have to refrigerate the meds?

jedifreac

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm

It depends on how the drug was "compounded" (with a syrup, or what have you.) Some of the mixtures have to be refrigerated, others are fine a room temperature. Call your vet if you're not sure. Sometimes they put a little sticker on there that says you must refrigerate it.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm

It is liquid. Doesn't have a sticker so I assume no refrigeration.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 pm

I'd call the vet just to be sure about refrigerating the medication. Better safe than sorry.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 pm

I called. No refrigeration necessary. You can't even tell there is anything wrong with her until you turn her over. Poor kid has been so violated today. On a good note, the Bactrim has not affected her appetite. She has never been a big water drinker so I put extra on her greens. The vet told me to keep some pedia-lyte on hand, just in case.