Alice- female discharge

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Thank you for all of the insight. The vet was completely stumped. We are cutting her nibble rings out. I guess it's a wait and see game.
I seem to think she is under weight. She isn't even 800g.
She has a voracious appetite. She cleans the veggie bowl and will sit in the hayloft, grazing, for long periods.
Always something....

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Just a follow up for now.
Alice is down to getting only one nibble ring a day. She is ticked off and pouts when she knows she would normally get a smoochie.
She is not crying during urination and she has absolutely minimal white deposits.
Still keeping my appointment in two weeks.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

X-ray. This was the only view given to me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Such a small abdomen. The curvature encloses her body? The small round white spots near the leg joint are in her legs?

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm assuming the dots are in her legs?
Alice is tiny. She is under 800g. I mentioned her weight to the vet and she didn't seem too concerned. I assume that is because she has a really good appetite. Even when she feels poorly, she eats good.
I will mention the dots when I take her back in 2 weeks.
Reading an X-ray is like translating hieroglyphics, to me, so I have to trust what others think.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:58 am

Bloat.
No poop since 10pm on 11/9.
Acting normal. Wheeking, eating, allowing me to syringe water.
Not lethargic.
Hollow sound, distended belly.
Gentle massage, vibrating on belly, still no output.
She is peeing and I see her reach under for a "snack" once in a while.
Fed Kale for first time Wednesday. Everything normal.
Fed little bit more kale Thursday. Everything normal.
Did not feed kale Friday at meal time. Everything not normal.
(Kale was fed in small amounts as a second leafy during one of normal two meals each day that it was fed.)

ETA: waiting for my vet to open so that I can get her in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 am

Yes, emergency. I hope this resolves.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Yay for poop! Just got home from the vet.
Alice started with acupuncture. When she started getting antsy, the vet took needles out. Soon after, we had a good pile of beans.
She also got a good belly massage and a healthy syringe of water.
Lots of pee and some more beans.
Vet sent her home with Probiacin (probiotic) and a Chinese herbal motility pill that I have to give every 8 hours until we have normal output.
At my request, they compounded metaclopromide as a last resort if the poop stops.
Her belly is squishy and not distended any longer.
I still can't believe that a few needles and a belly massage started her pooping again.
She weighs in at 814 grams.

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Try and encourage her to move around more, maybe get her out of the cage for floor time. I still would keep up the belly massage's to keep the plumbing going!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't know why but I think of bloat as caused by gas, not a backup of poop. I think of getting the poops moving as helping release the gas. Am I mistaken here?

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I think you might be right Lynx, as I would think the built up of gas would stop the pooping; and I believe that exercise and massage would at least get the gas moving through to relieve the pressure.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Her belly was pretty solid so I assume that was the gas. The combination of things worked. She is pooping like normal and her belly is soft like it should be. I'm not counting my chickens yet but I think she is ok. I have reglan just in case.
This was by far the worst episode yet. She usually stops pooping for a couple of hours and I massage and she gets the electric trimmer to vibrate her belly, I push a lot of water, and then she poops. This is the first time for actual meds.
The important thing for anyone who reads this is to know your pig. Know their nuances and know what is normal.
Alice was acting absolutely fine and like there was nothing wrong. I knew better because there was no poop. I always clean it so that I can know when this type of thing is happening. I picked her up and she felt slightly heavier than normal.
I started my regimen that I said above. She was poop snacking a bit so I knew it was ok to go to bed.
I saw the empty cage this morning and continued pushing water and the usual stuff until the vet opened.