Alice- female discharge

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:53 am

She's over six, Lynx.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:39 am

Well, this may very well be the last post in Alice's medical thread related to her health.
She has been battling bloat for almost a week now. I've done everything I've always done for her. Massager. Rub belly. Corn husks. Reglan, Simethicone, Peidalyte. Pushing lots of fluids. She's still eating like a champ and when I rub her belly, she does poop. Tiny little poops, but it's there. She's constantly hungry. Plows through hay and veggies like always.

I get her belly to soften up and some poops to come out and it gets blown right back up. She's been coming to work with me because my boss is awesome enough to let me do what I need to do to help her. As I type this, she's digging around for more corn silks.
She's over 6 and frail so I will not put her under any anesthesia.
I'm making my peace with the fact that she could be gone any time.

As always, I'm open to any and everything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 am

I am so sorry about Alice. I wish she did not have to battle bloat. You have my best wishes.

Would an ultrasound give you any info? Could you talk to your vet over the phone and get advice concerning the future and if there is any hope of pulling her out of this?

I can only suggest perhaps some Bio-Sponge, in case it would knock down the bacteria that is contributing to the bloat.

https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

Breadfan4

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 am

No advice to offer but thinking of you and Alice.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

I hope to have an update on Alice in the next day or two. I don't want to jinx anything. I tried everything and anything to help her. I've been pushing critical care mixed with Apple Blueberry Natural baby food. She's taking 15 ml a sitting. I'm giving her carrots to help fatten her up. She's getting corn husks by the truck load. Raglan, simethicone and metacam regularly. Belly massage along with a warm cloth on her belly.
She has to get water through the syringe because that's the only thing she refuses to do. Drink out of the bottle.
I was prepared but not ready to let her go last Friday.
She's plowing through any and all food like she is starved.
Today, I gave her .2ml of extra virgin olive oil. Within an hour, she was laying there looking like it took great effort to drop the pile of perfectly shaped Alice beans. I plopped the tray of lettuce in front of her and she promptly dove in. I've started separating her and Rosie from the other three girls. I think they were starving Alice.
My boss is the best and has let me take her to work with me for the last week and a half. And as long as I need to.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Your boss is indeed the best! And I am so happy to hear she has a great appetite! You are a good guinea pig mom.

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 am

Well, it has been 16 hours since giving her the Olive Oil.
She is pooping perfectly shaped poop. And it is quite frequent as well.
She is eating like a champ and drinking out of the water bottle again.
I thought she had a mass in her uterus. Turns out, it was fermented Cecal matter.
Belly is soft again and she is napping right now, as I do my work.
I wholeheartedly recommend Olive Oil. Next time she bloats, I'm going straight for that instead of Reglan.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:59 pm

It would be nice if we could get a veterinary recommendation for that. It's not something I'd recommend but I certainly am glad it worked for your girl!

linshad02
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:25 am

This is the end of Alice's medical thread. We had to help her cross over the bridge this morning. She had a cancerous mass in her abdomen and went downhill fast.
Goodbye my beautiful Princess. 6-1/2 years of pure joy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 am

I'm so sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry, linshad02. What a long wonderful life with you she had.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 am

Godspeed and safe passage, Alice. You are very much loved and will always be remembered, even by many who never met you.

Linshad, she taught you a lot about care techniques that may help you to help others somewhere down the road. That's not a bad legacy to leave behind.

Her being and spirit are perfect and free. We will remember her. Hugs and comfort to you. Know that you cared for her beautifully, and that counts. It counts for a lot.