Can anyone recommend pet health insurance?

Janaraye

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

I am looking into VPI but just wondered if anyone had experience with another company that they liked.

I just lost one guinea pig, Gopher, and want to make sure we are prepared to take care of the other one, Red, if anything happens to her. (She is healthy now.)

I don't know what breed Gopher was but she was about 2 1/2, black and white with short hair. Red is a couple of months older, also short haired, and tricolor, mostly white with a black face.

Thanks in advance,

Jana

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:28 am

VPI is the only one that carries exotics insurance, to my knowledge.

lou1600

Post   » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am

I used VPI. It wasn't particularly expensive (~$12 a month I think?), and our pig ended up being diagnosed with lymphoma so it helped cover those vet expenses (although didn't completely cover them) so it was worth it for us.

Check the info on the website to figure out what you will pay. Basically they will pay 90% of the costs, up to a particular amount (there may be a deducible as well). There is a limit they will pay per diagnostic (eg xray), a limit for all the diagnostics added together, and a limit for the particular condition diagnosed (which includes everything, vet visits, diagnostics, surgery etc).

Janaraye

Post   » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks...I signed Red up today. Hopefully nothing will happen in the next two weeks until the coverage starts. She has always been healthy but since Gopher died I'm nervous. I don't think there is any way what Gopher had could be contagious though...I think it was a uterine tumor. We were hoping it was an infection that could be treated with antibiotics, but they didn't work, unfortunately... :(....

I hope I am posting this correctly by going to the Reply page. I'm hoping this is not starting a new thread. Sorry if I am messing up the process.