Skinny Pig Calvin Medical Thread

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I've been researching about the different vets for exotics in our areas. It is nice when they have review areas from customers to tell about their experiences.
I will make sure Mom picks a confident piggy surgeon.

Does just keeping Calvins spot clean sound like a good idea? Or should I have pushed for removal?
I don't want to put him at risk for something that isn't bugging him but eventually will I have to get it removed?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:29 pm

I think it depends on if it is bothering him and if it is kind of healing in between. If you have to constantly monitor and maintain it, clean it out and flush it, it would seem to me there is the possibility of irritation and infection. Some of these things do appear to resolve after a thorough cleaning but some don't.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm going to keep track of how often I have to clean it and so on.
I've written it down on my calendar, this will hopefully help me decide whether it is a big issue or not.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Just doing an update on Calvin.
Here is his spot, it is still like an open pore.
I do compresses on it a couple times a week, nothing comes out of it anymore, it stays empty but never closes.
I got a quote from my vets and it would be up to $465 to remove it, depending on the time of the operation.
So I am not going to get it removed right now, it is so small and I was shocked at the estimate.
(The orange around it is just betadine, once I do compresses I just dab a bit on to keep it clean)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:54 pm

I am somewhat surprised at the cost. I know vets vary though and the last time I had any medical work done on a guinea pig was over 5 years ago.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Yeah, I was shocked too.
If it was going to be around $200 I would've went for it.
But I was told the low end was $280 and the high end being $465.
I asked why such a difference and was told it all depended on the time it took to remove it.
I wasn't confident that it wouldn't magically take the $465 amount of time.
$280 would be do-able, but I just doubt that would happen, that is too much of a price range gap, I would rather be told one price, this is how much it will be for sure.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 am

The variance is because they will be charging you for inhalant anaesthesia by the five-, ten- or fifteen-minute block, depending on how long he has to be under for them to remove it.

Many times vets will quote surgeries as a sort of "package", if it's something they've done before or do regularly. If it's something they're not real familiar with, they'll charge out everything they use. In many cases this isn't horribly more than it would be in a "package deal", but sometimes it is.

The iso or sevo is easily the most expensive line item on a surgical bill if everything is called out, hence the difference -- even more than the surgeon's time.

If it's not hurting him, not getting bigger, and not getting infected I'd just watch it too.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm

So here is Calvin's spot today after cleaning it up a tad

I am seriously thinking of dropping $400 plus on getting it removed.
He scratches the crap out of it every few weeks.
It will heal up, look fine and then he scratches it again making more scar tissue.
It is so much bigger than before, it seems even if it is looking decent, he will eventually scratch it no matter what.
Thoughts?

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I would definitely have it removed before the tissue thickens too much and makes it much harder to remove.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 pm

It looks like it needs removed, I know you don't want to risk putting him under for no good reason but this needs done in my opinion. Poor guy :(

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 pm

The fact that he's scratching it would indicate that it is bothering him. I would definitely have it removed. There are risks from the anesthesia with any surgery, so it would be a good idea to confirm with your vet that he/she has done successful surgeries on guinea pigs before.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the input. I have made a call to the vets and left a message. I am just waiting to hear back, won't be until tomorrow.
He has had surgery with them before, back when he needed his mouth stitch up thanks to myself and Grover.
He did well under but of course I will discuss everything with them again!
This is going to cost an arm and a leg.
Back when it was smaller the quote was something like $285-$450, I hate to think what it will be now.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:30 pm

That does look pretty awful. Let me know if you'd like your photos permanently added to this thread. They might help readers in the future.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:49 am

SP: I don't think they would charge more just because its a bigger, I could see if it covered his whole back but that's not the case. Keep us posted.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54 pm

I was thinking more expensive because it is bigger and might take longer, so he would be out for a bit longer costing more money for the anesthesia.

He has an appointment Sept 20th, he will be seen first thing in the morning and they will decide whether they can do surgery right that day. I hope so, since it is a long drive there and back.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Good luck to him and you!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Calvin and I are back from the vets.
He didn't get surgery this morning just checked out, he is booked in for next Thursday though for removal.
The vet doing the surgery has done all my Moms Bunny neuters and does A LOT of surgeries every week.
I feel safe and confident that everything will go well.
He was happy that Calvin's lump is easy to move around and lift, that the margins are very defined.
He said it has changed from a cyst to more of a tumour type growth but says it feels like it is going to be very easy to remove since it isn't attached down and has nice clean lines.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

That's good news!!! I love watching Calvin (him and Hobbs are my favorite, don't tell the others). I hope all goes well and it doesn't break the bank!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm

That sounds encouraging!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

I dropped Calvin off at the vets this morning.
I hated leaving him there, he is not like Barnaby who is really relaxed when you take him, he was so nervous.
Uhhh, I can't wait to get the call that he is fine and I can take him home.

124 posts