Tallulah's Medical thread

BrandNewEyes

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm

My pig Mozart needed to take Bactrim for a week or two, and at first he HATED it. he didnt mind too much by the endHe was terrified, wouldn't take it, so I tried various things to get him to take it-
First, I had his brother close by, which helped relax him a little, although I don't think you could do that, with possible risk of making the others sick
I also tried letting him sit in his 'sleeping bag' or wrapping him snuggly in a towel/blanket/t-shirt and kind of force feeding him...but he liked to spit it back out as soon and I put it in his mouth.
Lastly, most effective for me, was what I call the treat method- when he took some, I gave him some cilantro, gave him high praise, and repeat until he took most of it.

Hope I could help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 pm

SardonicSmile, be very careful handling a pregnant pig (in late pregnancy especially). Ideally your pig would walk into or onto something that could be safely and securely picked up rather than handling the pig.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 am

Piggies still have a bit of a tussle when i give them their vegetables, pregnant piggie will practically climb onto the other piggie just to get it and she can jump really high, which is kinda freaky looking sometimes!

but they can now happily share the food bowl and sit together when eating hay whereas before they had their own eating times! This has only been happening this week though, so I'm hoping I'll have me some babies pretty soon and that the piggies remain nice to each other!

Lynx

I'm very careful with picking up my piggies. I just need to be sure she's gaining enough weight, I rather catch any possible problems before they become real problems!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Ok, so she's starting to act funny, not bad-funny, but different funny. Anybody have experience with a piggy acting different shortly before birth? or am I just projecting and she's actually not acting funny at all and I just think she is because I'm so desperate for her to have these babies so that this stress and angst both on my part and hers, can finally come to an end, the poor dear looks so dreadfully uncomfortable, and she's stopped running away from 'the hand' when I feel her belly to check on the piglets.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 am

how long have you had her for?

that way you can roughly know when the babies are gonna arrive.

Ive had my piggie for 60 days today, so on average it takes 68 days... I am hoping she got pregnant on her very last days in the shop, as she was re-homed somewhere between the friday my mum saw her and the monday after when I got her.

First home was with pigs much like her, probably related to her. Second home was with very different pigs, defo not related to her.

If the babies have grey in them, they are most likely from the second home! *fingers crossed*

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

Today makes 61 days that I've had her, but I read that when you feel the babies move it's about 2-3 weeks until they're born, and I felt babies doing the rumba about 2 and a half weeks ago.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:21 am

looks like we are roughly in the same piglet boat!

my pregnant piggie is now tossing around the food bowl while hiding underneath a pile of hay... also not normal behaviour for her. I blame her hormones!

SardonicSmile

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 am

I woke up to three extra piggies this morning!

They all seem happy and healthy!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm

She seems very tired today, moving very slowly, lying down on her side, resting her head on things, it's taking it's toll on her, my poor darling, I'm very worried for her. She does manage to get up and move, but nowhere near her usual speed, which she was managing to maintain for most of her pregnancy. I hope this means there will be babies soon. I can only really feel one baby lump in there. She's so uncomfortable, poor thing.

SS: I'm really happy to hear everything went so well and everyone is healthy and happy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Make sure she is well hydrated and getting enough food. Hoping all goes well.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm going to give them well saturated veggies tonight, and I'm going to cover the whole cage tonight, I have one half of the cage covered (the side where they sleep) and that's the side she's pretty much staying on today. I'm going to move things around so she has easier access to the food area as well (her sisters have 'redecorated' and blocked off her 'hallways' aka spaces big enough for her to fit through) I think it will be soon (hopefully!) Her hips also appear to wider, but that may be wishful thinking.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:30 am

Lily was lying down a lot too at the end of the pregnancy. She'd walk up to her food bowl and then lay down while eating, which she'd never done before.

I think you may have some babies soon!!

Good luck!!