Tallulah's Medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:18 pm

So glad you got her to take the medicine okay! Let me know if the technique continues to work.

Hard to know if it would be better or not to put them together. Companionship is important but you certainly don't want another ill animal. I think being on antibiotics would mean she would be less contagious.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Ditto Lynx.

I'll put it like this ... are you prepared (time, energy, patience, money) to have to treat all three for anything/everything any *one* of them may have (worst case scenario)?

Yes: consider it.
No: listen to Izzywizzy.

Covering their eyes seems to work much like it does with horses. If I have a really squirmy one I'm weighing and don't want him or her all over the bathroom floor, I just cup my hand over his or her eyes. It stills them enough for the scale to settle.

My husband also covers their eyes if we're forcefeeding or medicating.
Last edited by Talishan on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 pm

I decided to put them together, I thought on the long run it would be healthier for Tallulah, on her own she only eats small amounts and drinks a smidge, but with them she's been eating loads of hay, pellets, and drinking water and actually ate veggies for the first time ever! It's like she has to see them do it so she knows what to do. She's on ABs, so is Twister, and all 3 of them are on Ivermectin. I'll be keeping notes on behaviors and stuff and weighing them daily so hopefully if something is wrong I will catch it quickly.

They all seem much happier. I was nervous because I've heard all these horror stories about intros, but they took to each other right away. Within minutes they were zooming around the pen and popcorning. Now I just have to figure out how to get a bigger cage because the one they have is not nearly big enough. Although, Tallulah has a tendency to get lost in the cage, she forgets how to get out of the kitchen area and she wheeks and cries until one of the others comes to rescue her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 pm

We are all 100% sure they're all female, right?

Watch Tempest closely for anything bacterial in particular.

It's wonderful to hear it has helped Tallulah so. Just be watchful for the possible consequences.

"Although, Tallulah has a tendency to get lost in the cage, she forgets how to get out of the kitchen area and she wheeks and cries until one of the others comes to rescue her."

I do not want to know what kind of conditions she came from. Whoever had her needs to be busted.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 pm

100% sure they're all female, thank God.

I'll be keeping very in depth records of weights and photo documentation and such to best be able to note any changes. Tempest will be the easiest to tell if something is wrong, she's a tank and puts on vast amounts of weight a week so if something is wrong it would be more obvious.

Tallulah is definitely not the brightest bulb, but she's so very cheerful and friendly it's impossible to care. The others are doing a very good job of looking after her and so far they respond to her distress almost immediately. I'm sure in time Tallulah will remember where the ramp is... I can't be sorry that she came to me, but I'm mad as hell at the circumstances.

That's 3 baby girls dumped in a 3 block radius, and that's just that I know of.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 pm

That can't be coincidence. Is your local AC any good? If so I'd give them a call.

This is a little bit of a stretch but they may already all know each other.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Yep, I called the AC when I found Tempest and Twister and than called again when Tallulah was brought to me. When I called about T&T they said they couldn't do much, but when I called about Tallulah they said they'd open a file and run some patrols in the area, get in touch with local businesses etc. However they said not to expect much to come of it because unless someone reports them they're unlikely to find the person responsible.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:04 pm

"get in touch with local businesses etc ... "

They may already know the person responsible and not be telling you. If they're good, let them work on it. If they get a report, they can bust the person. If they get enough evidence, they can do so also but it may take a little longer.

Many (if not most) good AC's know where the trash is.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Yep, I'm leaving it to the experts. Unfortunately, this is a very industrial area, railroad tracks, warehouses and abandoned buildings galore, so there won't be many businesses for the AC to get in touch with. Ironically, the McDonald's is right across from one of the Courthouses.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I appreciate it!

Toasypony

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 am

Krazy - another way we used to have to medicate is wrapping our pig in a "piggie burrito" towel so only their little nose is showing. That might be easier than trying to cover your eye with your hands. It also seemed to calm our hard to medicate pig down when she was wrapped in something tight - kind of like a baby.

I'm sorry for the circumstances, but so glad she found you! These kind of stories always make me so so sad and incredibly angry. I can't even bare to think of the ones that nobody found, it makes me want to cry.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks for the advice! She's actually getting more comfortable takingf her meds, the problem with burritoing them is that they're so damn small! I'd need to use like a washcloth haha.

Ok, so I was cuddling Tallulah today and I noticed an old wound on her ear, it looks like maybe a bite. It's goes all the way through her ear. I touched it and it's hard, like a bead. It's not oozy or anything and I'm going to keep an eye on it, but what I know is this: If a cat got a wound like this on it's ear we would be worried about crumpling, is that something to be watching for with her?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 am

What color? Could it be a tick?