What is this!?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 pm

I didn't send them, Lynx. I had three packaged up but when they told me that I just took the package back and left.

I_luv -- I can take it back and send it, we can hope for the best. I just don't think it'll get there until well and long after it could help Alice.

luv_my_guinea_pigz

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I think I have come up with an interim solution - I have found a cannula syringe!

Iv'e taken some updated pics of my whole flushing process (a bit smaller for you this time lynx!) and also pics of the cannula syringe.

I think i'll still get the curved ones ordered - no need to pay half talishan :) You have been an amazing help and I appreciate your efforts SO much!! I think the cannula syringe is working well at the moment and it is getting the flushing solution right in the hole and pus is being flushed out.

I also saw my regular vet and feel so much more confident about Alice's condition and on going treatment.

This is the cannula syringe heads pictured below. They clip onto the 1ml syringe and the end is a very tiny tube. Not sure if any one has used these before?

More pictures the heads are on the 1ml syringe:

My vet gave me the below solution which I dilute with water to flush the wound:

She also said to use some Metacam because Alice is exhibiting some pain when I do touch the area (maybe it is an abscess? )

And Flagyl is to be continued twice daily for 14 days.

This is the scabbed over wound/hole: The vet shaved the area so I can see how it it going. I think it looks much smaller and less red.

Started to flush and pus is coming out:

This is the hole after flushing - There was pus really deep down;

This is Alice :)

Before and after shots of the hole:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

luv_my_guinea_pigz

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Argh I don't know how to flip them the right way up! I've tried rotating in photo bucket but it won't fix itself so you may have to turn your head sideways!

Sorry all :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Glad to hear you've worked out a way to flush it! Since you are seeing pus, you can see how important it is to do this.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 pm

The cannula syringes are a **perfect** interim solution. (It figures; you can't get the non-prescription item in AU but those -- which I'm nearly certain would require a prescription in the US -- you were able to get.)

The only hassle with them will be you can only do 1 mL at a time. For right now, though, they may do an even better job than the curved-tip; the tip is slightly flexible, no? (The last time I had an IV I didn't look. ;-)

Your regular vet is the best in all of Australia, as I understand it, so Alice is in good hands. The chlorhex solution is correct for this application; all of the meds prescribed are appropriate.

Chlorhex is very drying. You may want to use sterile saline on occasion in your flushing "rotation".

Don't worry about the pictures -- if they're just of the hole, the direction doesn't much matter.

Good job!! Carry on.

pearl

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:42 am

I can definately see a difference in the hole! Good job this is a very important and informative thread. I hope your bb gets better quickly! <3

akintolife

Post   » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:22 am

I don't have anything to add on the medical side of things, but mail from the US to Australia normally takes 2 weeks by international first class. (I have a couple of friends in the US that send me mail semi-regularly and 2 weeks is the average time)