baby guinea pig age question

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:42 pm

My young females haven't had that bulgy profile unless they were pregnant. (Here's where we traditionally launch the dialog about how most very young sows do fine, just have the emergency vet lined up and the cage baby-proofed, and read this.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:23 pm

The pictures on GPC are confusing. I can see where mistakes may have been made.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:06 pm

The top one is the only questionable one, Lynx. The second one is without a doubt female!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 pm

I see a shadowline at the top. I would not have been so confident.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 pm

No idea what you are talking about. But the rest of it is what matters.

onetwo

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:39 am

The little flap thing with the hole at the end did pop out when i tried sexing which is why I thought it was a male. I have NEVER been able to get a boys penis to pop out no matter what age they were and I have TRIED and tried and tried.

Well if Raichu is a female then at least there is a demand for guinea pigs around here and it won't displace a guinea pig in need. My friend just lost her last guinea pig so if there are females she might take them in and if there is a male or two I might just keep it/them. i'm hoping for a small litter since she is so small.

Thanks for the help...

Obfuscated

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Hm...well, the fairly obvious pregnancy might be a good indicator that she's a girl.

(I'm not imagining the bulge in her side, am I?)

dmppiggie

Post   » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

My bulgy girl was bulgy from the beginning (pear shaped).

Regardless of what was thought to be, you were unsure of age and babies are hard to sex, so unless you were 100% sure, I would have waited.

But aside from that, separate and watch!