Noddy's sick. Aerococcus. Please help

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Jaycey, thanks. We're making the most of our time together, and he's getting lots of love, from me and from MaggieMae, who seems to know something strange is happening, and is now behaving impeccably (hope I'm not tempting fate!).
He is eating, but very little. I'm giving him some CC to supplement what he's taking, but not force feeding him, as I don't think that would be fair on him.
BamBam, I know, but you know how it is! Thank you for your support.

Topaz

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Thinking of you guys.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 am

Huge ditto to BamBam.

The "not sure" part is the very worst. We've thankfully only had to face that once or twice. I empathize and send my support and care to both Noddy and to you.

I will say this: in my experience, more vets, even the good ones, seem to tend toward suggesting euthanasia too soon than those that either try to carry treatment too far (the reverse), or somehow manage to get it just right (very rare). I'm not sure why this is, but that's been my experience.

Trust Noddy and trust your gut.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks again folks. I'm relieved to report Noddy had a quiet night , I deliberately didn't fuss him too much as I wanted him to rest, after yesterdays visit to the vet, and my frequent disturbing him to give him food and water.
He looked fairly bright, first thing this morning, but isquiet and fluffed up again now. However, he's still with us, so it shows what vets know! He's also eaten a bit of breakfast, so it's not all bad.
You are all right, it's about trusting my gut and being guided by Noddy. I will try to do that.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 am

Wishing for a good day for you and Noddy.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:27 pm

DMac, thank you for your good wishes. Noddy has had a reasonable day, he's been very sleepy most of the time, and not eaten much. He's taken about 5mls CC and 15mls water from me, but I'm not forcing him now. It's just not worth the distress, for either of us.
I put him on the floor, just for a change of scene, but he was having more difficulty moving. His front legs are now more like turtle flippers. Most peculiar.
I just had a nasty shock when I went to get him out of the cage, and couldn't see him breathing, and it took a lot to wake him. Scary. However, we've just had some nice "lap time", where he fell asleep, but even then, was twitching. I guess a lot of the sleepiness, and some of the twitching may be related to a build up of toxins, since his liver and kidneys have been failing for sometime.
Tomorrow is another day, let's see what it brings!

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Noddy has fought and fought until now. He has deteriorated greatly and his entire front end has collapsed. He can barely lift his head up and the only way he can move is to scrabble with his back legs and push himself forward so he looks like a snowplough. He's barely eating or drinking either.
I've been hoping and hoping Mother Nature will intervene, but so far, nothing. And so, with a heavy, heavy heart, and rivers of tears, I've made the hardest decision of all, and have that if he has survived the night, I will take him to the vet to have him helped over The Bridge to his family who have gone before.
He is quiet, and onhis own in a separate cage from MaggieMae because she is just too lively for him to cope with.
Please pray for us all tonight.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Thinking of you and Noddy. Be strong.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:30 pm

I'll be thinking of you and Noddy tonight. I'm so sorry!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:50 pm

I am so sorry :-( keeping you both in my thoughts.

lilbitorange

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm so sorry Hilary. Thinking of you both x

BamBam

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

God bless you Noddy, it's ok to take a rest now poppet.

Praying for you and mum.

xx