Noddy's sick. Aerococcus. Please help

BamBam

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:52 am

You know how large doses of vit C can cause diarrhoea in us, could it be doing the same in Noddy?

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:23 am

BamBam, there's a thought! I'll stop giving it whilst I'm giving the probiotic and see if that helps. I'm sure he's getting plenty in his fruit and veg anyway, but just wanted to be certain, especially as he was so poorly not that long ago.

gvstate01

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 pm

I've been giving my 9 pigs 50mg of extra vitamin c per day and no one has ever shown soft poos. I highly doubt it has to do with excess. They pee out whatever they don't need, I wouldn't stop giving it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:28 am

Ditto gvstate. I doubt this would happen unless you were giving 500 mg a day or something. A reasonable amount of C supplementation should not give soft stool. (In humans, we can and do take megadoses. 50-150 mg/day of C for a guinea pig isn't, relatively speaking, anywhere near as much as what we will sometimes take.)

We've had more than one pig with multiple weirdnesses, so I know how you feel and it is not impossible that Noddy could be reacting to the C supplementation. I just think it's extraordinarily unlikely and much more likely due to something else.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks folks. I'll carry on giving the Vit C. He's getting about 75mg / day, which from what Talishan says, seems an OK amount.
I'm trying to get about 40ml fluid into him, in addition to whatever he gets from his veg, which is always in plentiful supply.

His poops today have gone the other way, and although of normal size, seem very much more dry than usual, and certainly drier than MaggieMae's. Is 40mls fluid not enough? I'm finding it really hard to get more than that, or even that much into him. He's starting to fight the syringe. Maybe he's sick of having things pushed into his mouth.

Having said all that, the strange smell seems to be very much less, so maybe it was Noddy needing more fluids? He has scoffed some red pepper today, and seems to be eating OK, which is reassuring.

But, in between times, he's been much more sleepy again today. That seemed to be a sign previously that he was a bit dehydrated. I love him so much, as I have all my pigs, and am not ready to lose him. Has anyone ever given sub-cu fluids at home? Maybe it's too soon for that. I just feel I'm losing the battle again.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Subcues at home are really helpful for a pig that is fighting dehydration.

Fingers crossed for the two of you.

gvstate01

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I think 60ml is the minimum I would give. So I agree with Bytxlaura that subcues would be a good idea. In the US, they're prescription, but not sure about the UK. I don't think it's too soon for subcues, you can give them at any time. My vet gives them to make my pigs pee :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:27 pm

www.guinealynx.info/.html for more info. Yes, some people have done it at home.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:09 am

"Has anyone ever given sub-cu fluids at home?"

Ohhhhh yeah. We've gotten downright good at it, the hard way. :-\

In the US, the isotonic saline or LRS is POM only. The needles, butterflies, delivery syringes etc. etc. you can get online in most states. You just need to get the fluids from a vet.

60 mL is about the minimum, ditto gvstate. Giving regular subcues depends entirely on the pig -- some get used to being stuck; others don't and become progressively more frightened to the point where the harm outweighs the benefit IMO.

We have, however, had more than one that one or two subcues would "jumpstart" their drinking and we didn't need to do it again. Noddy might very well benefit from one. Lots of times simple hydration can make a huge difference in the pig's behavior, demeanor and aspect.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:13 am

Thanks everyone for that. I'd been aiming to get 40ml into him, so was obviously missing the mark a bit. I'm going to really push him with the oral fluids for another day or two and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I will go to the cavy savvy vet BamBam uses and talk to them abut sub-cu fluids. I don't know if it ever gets done here in the UK. I'm a nurse, so drawing the fluids up shouldn't be a problem. Sticking a needle in Noddy could be! (But won't be, as it's for his benefit).
BamBam suggested sugar free cranberry juice, so I'm going to try that to see if he's just getting bored with orange and blackcurrant flavoured Vit C.
Thanks again for all the advice, I'd be lost without this site.

lilbitorange

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:39 am

I haven't any advice, but sending get well wishes to Noddy for you Hilary. He's certainly a fighter :) x

BamBam

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Hilary. You'll be a dab hand at sub-cues and so will Nods.

You can get a bag of Hartmans from Vedra and I think I still have needles otherwise I'm sure Alicia will be happy to supply.

Plant a smacker on the top of his head for me - I know how much he loves kisses (not)