Crystal formation in the urine.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Patrick is still squeaking and has now lost 60 grams, I presume this is due to the pain he is in when urinating, no infection seems to be present (tested with urine dipsticks at home I know this is not 100% accurate).

I'm at a loss of what I should do now - we will go back for another scan. Just don't know what more we can do.

Not a good day my other pig, who I have updated his thread has also lost weight, more than Patrick and my boy Fred who doesn't have a thread has also lost 75 grams. I weighed them all more than once, my girls on the other hand are perfectly healthy and there normal weight. I always weigh them before veggies, first thing in the morning. I don't understand how all 3 of my boys can have such a huge weight loss in a fortnight. They are all booked in for the vets. If it wasn't for my girls weights being ok I would blame the scales.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Poor guys. I'm hoping you can figure out what is going on.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 am

Ugh. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:24 am

Patrick was at the vet yesterday, Glad I took him. His bladder has been ongoing for that long he has been using another vet so we left his sore little bladder untouched and dealt with his teeth only, this other vet I really like but it takes me between an hour to an hour and a half to get there. Me and my parents are unable to do weekly visits to him but I must say I also like the other vet.

He checked Patrick's teeth - said his right lower tooth had slightly overgrown nothing serious. He did say that may well not be the case for his weight loss and I have to agree, even last time when he needed his teeth done I think the main problem was his bladder pain. Teeth are fixed.

We spoke briefly about Patrick's bladder - I told him my thoughts about neutering him but he didn't think it would work and to be fair I don't really think it will either now. I have decided I won't be neutering him it was a silly idea in the first place.

Bearing in mind we're talking cats but apparently interstitial Cystitis is very common and can be cured nice to hear. What he said is when the common cat medicines fail for the1% that don't respond he would consider giving amitriptyline It's also known as Elavil and Endep. He does not know if it is safe to use on Guinea Pig's but in cats it clears up the 1% who don't respond to any other medicines. In humans it is an anti-depressant, I did find it is also used in human's to treat interstitial Cystitis. I have been unable to find if or not you can give it to a Guinea Pig.

I am going to talk to the other vet tomorrow, and ask about this method. i may also ask his thoughts on steroids for Patrick to bring down the inflammation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:45 am

It would be great if you could find something that would help him.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:59 am

Patrick no longer has crystals in his urine, his last 3 or 4 urine samples where all clear but he does continue to urinate blood (not visible to the naked eye) and cries when passing urine and defecating, his weight has increased nicely since his dental.

We where back at the vet yesterday, he has been given a steroid injection, the vet is also looking into my other vet's suggestion. If it's safe we will give it a shot but I do think we're running out of things to try now without going down the invasive look, I doubt I'll do this.

I stopped his metacam on friday - as I knew steroids and metacam can't be given together.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Controlling pain is so important. Some vets don't seem to understand how terrible it is to hear a pet in pain! Hoping the steroids help. Sounds like you are doing all you can.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I had been wondering how Patrick was doing and glad to hear he no longer has crystals in his urine. Unfortunate that he still seems to be in pain and crying when peeing. Must be terrible for you but you seem to have covered all bases. Is he still getting additional fluids?

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:46 am

Hi GP Mum he gets between 20 and 40 mls a day but he has a bad habit of allowing it all to dribble out which is very annoying!

Thanks Lynx - It just seems to be very unfair!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on using Methigel to lower the ph of the urine, and perhaps make the urinating less painful?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-and-cat-supp ... 20g-p-1371

Patrick is squealing tonight, he had a shot of slow releasing steroids on Tuesday perhaps it's to early to assume it hasn't worked but he certainly seems to be in pain. I don't believe I can give him any pain killers either.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:16 pm

No idea if it will help (unfamiliar with it). Just continuing to offer my support.

angiemthomas

Post   » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 am

I read this whole thread and I'm at a loss too.
Can you give him a heating pad (on low) in his cage? If he lays his belly on it, it might make his bladder area feel better.
I dont know - that my only thought!

Thinking of the little guy