Crystal formation in the urine.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 am

Patrick was scanned 6 weeks from today - nothing was detected, he was scanned again today as he is passing blood again his bladder is thickened and a growth (soft tissue - the size was 1cm across the bladder wall was detected. It is inside the bladder wall. The vet is testing for cancerous cells, a urine sample is being sent away to be tested by labs but the chances of getting a conclusive result are slim. I get the impressive the vet does not want to open him up.

He is in pain we are managing this with painkiller's, does anyone have any suggestions?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:45 pm

No suggestions but offering my good wishes and support.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks Lynx - I get the results back on Friday re-cancerous cells. Although I go on holiday today so my mum will watch him for me.

I suppose I can always try re-scanning in a few weeks see if it's still there or chnaged any.

I was hoping someone might have had something similar happen. I will keep you all updated if we make any progress.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Got the results back no cancerous cell yay! However Patrick is still passing blood on occasion we did another urine culture which showed no infection present his last ultra sound also was clear but his bladder wall is inflamed. We can only think the growth maybe scarring of the bladder wall.

He is always squeaking now, this was last week. Some days however are better than others.
This was him just last week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-pZG2gfSdQ

By the looks of things he will be on metacam for the rest of his life.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Poor little guy. Glad to hear there is no cancer. I am sure you hate the pain part :-(

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:00 am

This is a random thought, but you could ask your vet about switching from Metacam (or any NSAID) to a regular low dose of a pediatric steroid (such as prednisolone). We had one on pred for over a year and another on it for several months. It helped them greatly to no ill effect, that was apparent to me or the vets anyway.

I bring this up solely because of the chronic inflammation. Nothing hits inflammation like a steroid.

Without looking back, have you researched interstitial cystitis?

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:30 am

Thanks Lynx and Talishan,

Talishan - I have researched IC, however any changes I make does not seem to effect his condition, I amended his diet cal;pho ratio, began filtering water, syringing water, I have tried removing all veg to find the trigger's I had him on just Hay for a bout a week - made no difference he still cried, I can't find any trigger's to remove them but he does not get any high sugar foods either and very limited pellets. He has some fab days but other horrific day's sometime he can spend hrs whimpering as he is doing in the video.

He is off to the vet tomorrow for an injection of glucosomine - so will speak to the vet about steriods - was it given orally? Is it 24 hrs or 48 hrs it can be given after metacam?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:12 am

Orally: yes. After Metacam (an NSAID): that is going to vary by vet. Some say 24 hours; some say a week, and everything in between.

You might want to read this if you haven't already:

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16331

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Talishan - Thank so much for that link.

Thankfully I seen it before the Vet visit and discussed it in great lengths with my vet. We discussed the PK - feline, but my vet says Metacam has similar properties. He did say we could change if I wanted. We also discussed steroids, it is something we haven't ruled out.

As for Patrick - Doe's anyone think they know something bad is going to happen poor little Patrick was like a hedgehog when I opened his carrier - hunched, fluffed and his head right down clearly not happy. He had his injection of Cosequin as planned, and I have to flush his bladder as often as possible. He's not to happy this evening and I plan on topping him up with Watery Critical Care in the hope to hydrate him more! Generally speaking he's feeling very sorry for himself.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Poor little guy. I would closely monitor the pain (it sounds like he was in pain). I so hope you can get it under control.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Ditto Lynx. He sounds like he's hurting more than anything else.

"and I have to flush his bladder as often as possible."

Try offering him unflavored Pedialyte and see if he likes it. I'd much rather give a pig 60 cc's of unflavored Pedialyte willingly than have to do a 30 cc subcue.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 am

Wanted to say that am so sorry to hear that Patrick is not well. I can imagine you must be so worried, especially when you saw him hunched up. Hopefully, the pain meds and additional fluids will help.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 am

Hello -

Thank You again Lynx and Talishan perhaps the journey to the vet's aggravated his bladder, last night his poo's where very small but 12 hours before he didn't look happy, last night he ate everything in sight and this morning even gave him Watery Critical Care and veg juice I just blended some green pepper he drank some but not the amount I want!

I'm in the UK Talishan so don't think Pedialyte is available after doing some googling I believe it's the same as Dioralyte?

Here's the link to the product.
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dioralyte-sachets-natural_1_1097.html

Doe's anyone know for sure?

Thanks Gp Mum amazingly enough Patrick is a lot better this morning, I think his issue was I went out for 12 hrs on Monday, so Patrick decided in his wisdom he would cut his food intake right down as revenge for my outing! He is much better now and happily ate last night and this morning!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:08 am

" ... I believe it's the same as Dioralyte?"

Yup, that's the stuff (sorry, I should have noted you are in the UK).

Mix just what you need when you need it. I'm hopeful he'll like it.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Again Thank You Talishan for the advice, I am syringing Patrick additional although it is proving difficult, I wondered if anyone had any idea's how much fluid I should aim to syringe? I have been unable to get unflavoured dioralyte only blackcurrent will this be ok, either that I can order online!

Patrick isn't squeaking as much but he is passing blood again, he's not on any antibiotics at present. I will talk to the vet on Tuesday - he's due to get his next injection.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 am

The blackcurrant should be okay if he'll drink it. (He may like it.) Order online if he doesn't like it and/or it looks like you'll need to do this over the long haul. (Giving him subcutaneous fluid injections is your other option for hydration. Try the Dioralyte first. ;-)

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:41 am

I don't know what's going on, syringing him last night and this morning was proving so much easier - he's started taking the syringe much better or perhaps I've mastered the technique, per sitting I can get 10mls well managed that today and last night first time for everything. I'm going to start aiming for 17mls but I have a plan 10mls is really pushing him, after about 7mls he headbutt's me away and begins pulling at my clothes but I can keep it going till 10, once I hit 10mls, I'm going to try putting him back in his cage so he can urinate and have veggies, 15 mins later I'm going to try another 7mls, if I can do 17mls 3 times a day, I can get 51mls that must be at least one bladder flush.

Perhaps we can do this after all, saying that it's about time I got better at syringing, the skills we master when Guinea Pig's are concerned.

Talishan - I can get the Blackcurrant one from the chemist so I will get that today to, another question it has ethanol in it, is this ok for Patrick? Do I just make it up like it says on the package, syringe little and often?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:59 am

Ethanol is grain/corn alcohol? Not sure how they're getting that in the powder, but according to this site --

http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/3446/SPC/Dioralyte/

-- it's an excipient (carrier or facilitator).

It's meant to be used for infants so I can't imagine it would do any harm, but see what others say first.

Syringe little and often if he doesn't particularly like it. Give him as much as he wants if he likes it.

It sounds like he's feeling better. :-)

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Talishan, Thank you so much to you, Lynx and GP Mum for advice and well wishes.

I had to share this video please watch with sound! I can't believe it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ0P112wzZI

It's been a very long time! xxx

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:40 pm

He is looking pretty cute. No squeeking? Is that why we watch with sound? I didn't hear anything.

275 posts