On and off diarrhea for my one year old-please help!! please

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 am

One more thing to add to the what seems to be never ending Sonic thread.....he has not pooped all day today, one little pellet of poop was all he produced today, yesterday there were tons of solid doody as there has been now since his diarrhea cleared up, but now there has been nothing all day.....what is going on with this baby??? :-(

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 am

1) Is his weight holding;
2) How is his eating (normally -- yes/no);
3) How is his demeanor/behavior?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 am

Diabetes can show up in the labwork, but it often shows up in the UA early on, too.

Diarrhea can cause excessive thirst, too. It is super dehydrating.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:22 am

He hasn't lost weight, he is eating normal ( finishes everything to the last morsel) and he if ull of energy acting normal.

He no longer has diarrhea since he was on the Flagyl, but now its just he's drinking a lot of water urinating a lot and not pooping. This morning when I woke up there were a few poops in his cage and they looked normal. But, all day yesterday and into this morning he didnt poop at all.

gvstate01

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 pm

If he's eating a lot and not pooping then it sounds like he needs a motility drug (metoclopramide and/or cisapride). I think you can rule out any blockage here since he's eating. In my experience, pigs know when they can't poop and will stop eating because they can't or it hurts. So the fact he's eating is good, but he obviously needs something to help him move it all out

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Just so I know because I can't find any information on it, but does anyone know what too much bio sponge can do to a guinea pig? If any more than the recommended amount its given?

I like to know every pro and con to all medicines and side effects with recommended dose, too much too little etc...thanks!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Too slow gut motility.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm

ok, so this is a nightmare...I am really starting to think that his gut may never be right OR what possibly started out as antibiotic related diarrhea is now food related........
The poops were fine, moving along normal, normal shape and consistency, so I slowly started re introducing him back to his greens and veggies, little by little each day and after a couple of days he goes back to diarrhea, so I gave him some flagly and the bio sponge, that worked liked magic!! No greens all was a ok, so I gave him some greens and veggies and boom back to diarrhea.
Im going to call the vet tomorrow, but is this possible maybe his gut is so off that foods will cause the diarrhea as well?

This boy has been on and off meds and has had diarrhea on and off since July 18th!!!

I am going to have him tested for diabetes as well, I want to be certain I have covered every base.

This is a long thread, but he was perfect! He was totally fine up until July 18th when I took him to emergency for what turned out to be bacterial pneumonia, they put him on antibiotics and it has been a roller coaster ever since.

I feel so bad for him and wish every day for him to just be right again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Have you tried clean fresh grass? I would clear him up and try introducing it very slowly. I would also supplement with vitamin C too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Ditto Lynx. Get him straight and then try reintroducing greens very slowly, *one green at a time*. There may only be one or two trigger foods in whatever you are feeding. If you can find those, he can have the rest; just don't give him any of the trigger foods. Supplement with a little extra C in the meantime.

gvstate01

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:28 am

This may sound weird, but my vet called me last year asking to bring one of my males in to do a fecal transplant because she had a pair of pigs that wouldn't stop producing stones. So she gave the 2 girls with stones Tagamet (acid reducer) and then about an hour later gave them both poop soup from my male (using a ceacal). It was hard because he eats those like candy :) Anyway, the girls have not had any problems with stones since! I think a good idea is to talk to your vet about the same thing and if they have any healthy guinea pig clients that would be willing to give up some poo :) It just seems like he needs his gut restored and there's no hurt in trying

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 am

Trust me when I tell you I will try anything and nothing sounds weird at this point!

I give him liquid C with a syringe, so I have been doing that and is there a cap on bio sponge, I know for dogs and cats it is generally not given for more than 7 days, is that rule still the same for Guinea Pigs? I give him very small amounts of it, I also must admit it is no walk in the park to give that stuff to him....because it is so pasty I feel like I am torturing the poor thing. I have done the poop soup from my other healthy guys in the past.

At the moment his diet consists of: pellets ( sprinkled with a little critical care-he loves that stuff and also a little probiotic)
Timothy hay and orchard grass, I will try the fresh grass too. Is it a possibility that there gut never goes right? Overall he is totally healthy energetic and has an appetite.

We have a little joke in our house now that he gets his belly from his mommy (me) since I have a lot of stomach troubles, but I am hoping we can just get this right.

Can Guinea Pigs thrive well with the absence of greens and veggies?