On and off diarrhea for my one year old-please help!! please

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 am

No, it does neither.

It is simply a clay. The way it works is not unlike the old school kaolin-pectin (which used to be the active ingredients in Kaopectate before the company went crazy and put bismuth subsalicylate in it).

The way it works is twofold. It does absorb water and therefore stems the diarrhea BUT the more helpful thing is that it does absorb and counteract the toxins produced by clostridium difficile, which is the organism that overgrows with most cavy (and other animals) diarrhea and CAUSES the diarrhea. SO, it is better than any probiotic IMO. It actually squashes the clostridium's attack and allows the body to regain it's normal homeostasis and balance in the GI tract.

It is not only a treatment, but can be used sporadically as a preventative as well. If my dog is getting all sorts of things that might cause his stress diarrhea, I put him on a day or two of that and he is fine. And as I've said, I've even taken the capsules myself. I felt no problems whatsoever in my GI tract. Really benign stuff that does such good as "naturally" as we can. And vets who know anything use one of the several veterinary products available on a regular basis.

gvstate01

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Thank you :) You should put that on the Bio-Sponge description on GL!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Stella used to have really soft stool, to the point that sometimes they were like a paste. She came from terrible conditions and the only thing that worked for her was Bio-Sponge.

That stuff really works!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Yeah, we have to bribe Lynx for that gvstate!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 pm

I currently have info that covers the important points, including a link to the manufacturer's site:

BIO-SPONGE
Equine Bio-Sponge, which contains Di-tri-octahedral smectite, is reasonably priced and very effective.

"Bio-Sponge is an intestinal protectant designed to help support healthy intestinal function. Bio-Sponge has substantial capacity to adsorb and absorb toxins, viruses, bacteria and free radicals. A university study showed that Bio-Sponge™ adsorbed 99% of clostridium difficile and clostridium perfringens toxins in vitro."

Dosage information received via email from Allyson at Platinum Performance, Inc. who consulted their staff nutritionist:
Guinea Pigs 600-900 grams administer between 0.4cc-0.6cc total daily, split into 2-4 feedings.
Guinea Pigs 950-1400 grams administer between 0.7cc-1.0cc total daily, split into 2-4 feedings.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Yeah, that looks good to me. I guess gvstate should have checked out the manufacturer's website! It's been so long since I looked at that info.

Thanks, Lynxie!

gvstate01

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 am

I did check that out! It doesn't mean much to me. I guess I don't have as good understanding as everyone else :-/ lol

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:16 pm

First and foremost I want to thank you all for your informative answers! It seems as though the help and resources for guinea pigs is scarce and I am so glad to have found this page & forum!

We have PROGRESS!! After being on the metacam and Flagyl for a few days we are back to almost normal poops! I have not gotten the bio sponge yet, still waiting on the delivery.

While I am so excited that we can finally throw my boy his 1st birthday party...and soon he can be reunited with his BFF Elvis (that has been a whole other sad situation, Elvis sits outside of his pigloo staring at Sonic all day :-() I am still baffled by what the cause of his diarrhea has been. Food? antibiotic?

I am thinking along the lines of gvstate01 and maybe the antibiotic ruined his gut flora so much that he has was not on medication long enough to return it to it's normal state and therefore the diarrhea came back?

The vet I am seeing in NYC specializes in exotics, that is all they see, they do not even see a dog or cat, just guinea pigs and so on, seems to think that the first course of Flagyl, just might not have been enough.........

I am keeping optimistic, I don't want to get too ahead of myself because I was here once before and then back to square one.

When I get the bio sponge, should I still attempt it? Even if the diarrhea is gone? I know it was posted earlier that I can give bio sponge with the Flagyl, can it hurt? Even if the diarrhea is clearing up?

Thanks everyone! I wish I could post a pic of him, but I don't have one small enough! He is a violet peruvian,,,,with a buzz cut and a mohawk lol....I cut all his hair off due to this episode because he was getting himself quite messy. I am happy I can now let his gorgeous locks grow back lol!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:43 pm

I am so happy you are seeing progress.

I live in Brooklyn as well :)

Which vet are you guys seeing?

gvstate01

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:48 pm

How exciting!!! I'm so happy for you and Sonic :) I am also very glad you could find such a great vet, it's hard, but in such a big city you really are lucky. As Josephine said above about the bio-sponge, it's also a great preventative tool, so I'm looking to order it as well :) I'd still give it.

Can you post a pic on Flickr and then paste a link? I'd love to see him! :)

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Until you find the cause, I'm a bit leery of just giving the Biosponge to just give it. I don't believe in overmedication.

If this is an antibiotic issue, you should be good to go. If not, it may be an irritable bowel-type thing related to diet or something like stress.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:25 pm

I am taking them to the center for Exotic and Avian medicine, it is on Columbus Avenue In Manhattan. http://avianandexoticvets.com/ here is the link to the website, great place and I have had much success with them. Its a little far, but so worth it! I'd go to the moon and back for these little guys!

Is it too soon to introduce a little veggies? He's back to almost normal stools.

I will certainly try to do the picture through Flickr and then post thanks for the tip! gvstate!

At least I will have the bio sponge on hand in case I need it!