On and off diarrhea for my one year old-please help!! please

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Just a shot in the dark, but can too much liquid vitamin c result in any of this??.........I am grabbing at straws at this point :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Excess vitamin C can absolutely cause diarrhea. How much are you giving him?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:25 am

Actually, I got some new information from the manufacturer of Biosponge that it is completely safe to use daily indefinitely as a dietary supplement. And generally speaking, you have to use it for at least 24-48 hours before you see a turnaround, so I doubt what you were seeing (if you only used it for a day) was anything related to the Biosponge.

This does not sound anything like diabetes. What on earth did the vet say?

Oh, and yes, saw the edit on the vitamin C. Yep. Easily can cause diarrhea. Anything over 50 mg can certainly be easily implicated.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:45 am

I had a similar issue with Kooky. She developed a chronic bowel problem after a course of Baytril. I tried just about everything and saw several vets. Eventually, I found a better vet with over 30 years experience taking care of pigs and he put her on a minimal dosage of Bactrim once daily for the rest of her life. That, plus a restricted veggie supply, did the trick and she lived happily after. The vet said that some piggies develop a chronic kind of bowel infection after Baytril and to use this method only if the rest fails, as a last resort option. In Kooky's case, that worked well. She knew it helped her and was always eager for her daily med.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:00 am

@Pigjes...WOW! that's exactly what Sonic was on Baytril, then they gave him Baytril, plus doxycycline! I will bring your advice up to my vet!!

Also, as far as the Vitamin C goes, I am giving him Rugby's liquid vitamin C which I noticed has sugar in it??? I am giving him 1cc. I was giving im extra to supplement for the lack of veggies. too much??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:38 am

How many mg of vitamin C are you giving?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:28 am

I've used the Rugby's stuff. It's 500 mg/1 teaspoon or very roughly 100 mg/mL. It has a lot of sugar in it but most pigs absolutely adore the taste and will suck it down willingly.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:17 am

So I am wondering if I am overdoing it a bit on the C...I give him the Rugby's liquid (500mg) 1cc, not .1...1.0...yes all 4 of my boys go crazy for it, they will literally run to the syringe when they see it! I notice they like it more as it comes to the middle or the end of the bottle too.

ok, so here is some good news! I do not want to get ahead of myself, but it's the strangest thing....Yesterday I gave Sonic his Oxbow Pellets (a mixture of the plain & organic pellets) his hay and some fresh organic grass.......and wouldn't you know it, we have solid doody! I mean we are 150% better in the course of a day! LIke I said it could be a false alarm, there have been times where it was solid we did a happy dance and within a day we had blobs again, but any thoughts?? No meds, no probiotic powder nothing I just gave him, pellets, hay, grass & vitamin c ..... I am going to conitnuie on this path & see what happens.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I have also been trying to deal with this from home because it has been quite cold here in the east coast and I really don't want to take him out in the elements unless it is an emergency of course. I like to keep them at their appropriate temperature at all times. I dont want to take him out in the cold, drive to manhattan, have them put him under to take more tests and stress him out if it is not totally necessary. This has been managable from home, thus far. Thank you all again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 am

I would do 0.1cc (50mg) instead.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Lynx, the concentration is 500 mg/tsp or 100 mg/ml. 0.1 cc is 10 mg. Which should be adequate if they are getting fresh veggies.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 pm

so it sounds like I should be doing around 0.4cc as opposed to 1.0? Sonic is on hay/ pellets and grass at the moment. No fresh veggies or greens or fruits.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I think 0.1 ml is fine unless a vet thinks he needs more.