Norbie's Health Issue

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:40 pm

LOL! She certainly needs to gain weight!

She is now fighting me when I give her the antibiotic. She is on Bactim/Septra Suspension. Today is her 12th day on it. The vet said to give it for 14 days but she seems absolutely fine. The incision is great! THere is clearly not any infection to worry about. Do you think it is ok to stop it?

I stopped the Metacam yesterday. The Doctor did not say how long to give that to her but she seems fine so I felt like it was ok to stop it.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Yay Norbie!!

Sakura had Metacam for 7 days. I stopped giving her the Baytril a day early, because she stopped eating, among other things.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Yay indeed! Hoping for continued improvement!

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah! Both Sakura and Norbie are doing great. I think they have bother turned the corner!

Yup, Metacam for 7 days. Norbie and Sakura seem have the same sort of recovery. Its so nice to be just NORMAL. Yeah!

ps, the husband said Norbie is more perky then before the surgery! I still think she is too thin but I am used to FAT piggies.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 am

Bactrim: 2 days, meh. If she's handling it well just go ahead and do the last two days and finish the course out.

Metacam: you did exactly right. I never (well, rarely ;-) listen to the vet's instructions on pain med. I go by how the pig is behaving.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 am

How is Norbie doing today?

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Norbie is doing ok. I weighed her and she is down again. But, I have to admit that is probably my fault. I have company and my friend has a dog. So, the entire Piggie room is closed and the door locked. I don't want the dog to get into the room because I do not have a top on the cage.

Anyway, I was giving Norbie "treats" to fatten her up but I didn't do that yesterday because when I went to feed the piggies, the dog walked over to the door (its a glass french door) and was watching me feed the piggies. He was looking at the piggies. The looked like he was thinking he wanted to play with them or eat them.

Anyway, Norbie is at 870g this morning...still up and down. Her incision looks greak and her fur is really starting to grow back!

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Update on Norbie:

She is holding steady at 872g. She is active and happy. I gave everyone some ridicchio earlier and then just got some dried cork husks for their evening treat.

Here fur is growing back and her incision could not be any more perfect. I think I must have one of the best vets ever!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:03 am

More cheers for Norbie!!

And cheers for having a great vet!

It is wonderful that she is healing so fast. When did her stitches come out?

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:31 am

I'm glad Norbie is doing well. Good girl, Norbie!

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:33 am

Tracis, the vet only used 2 stitches and she said they were dissolvable. She said that if they bothered me, I could snip them at 2 weeks which is tomorrow. She also said I could bring Norbie back in and she could snip them.

The incision looks great! I will try to get a picture of her later. (I am on my way to a bridal shower, I'm just waiting for my stepdaughter to get here and we can leave)

I weighed her this morning and she is still at 872. She seems so small to me, though. I would like to see her back up to 1000+ grams. But, I know, she is my oldest pig and all of my pigs have dropped weight once they hit 5+ years so maybe she is going to always be this small.

She is certainly eating and drinking.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Eating and drinking is always good. :)