Topaz's Zoey

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:27 pm

How about taking Zoey out and feeding her some tiny bits of pepper or something while the others eat their greens and then just put her back when they're done?

Topaz

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks, DMac. I'm very hesitant to give her anything at all now(aside from the leaf lettuces I had been giving). Pepper seems to give her looser poo, as well as cucumber or any fruits.

And now my dilemma is, do I stop all greens, even the leaf lettuces for a while, or even possibly for good?

And would she be better off in her own cage without the smells of greens or any treats that the other girls are getting? And would my other two girls be better without her in with them if this doesn't resolve because of the mess?

There is dried poo everywhere. Even on the food and water dish rims. I've washed them three times already today.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Just my opinion but I would stop all greens, veg etc. and see if this clears up. You can always feed the others outside the cage for a bit. It's worth a try. If it stops you could reintroduce greens in small amounts one at a time and see what happens.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 pm

That's my plan for tomorrow, Bugs Mom. And maybe for quite a while until things look better. Absolutely no greens. I'll just take her for snuggles somewhere else in the house where she can't hear the girls crunching them or smell them. I sure hope things look better in the morning or straight to the vet we go. They have been VERY loose tonight.

I'm going to at least call the vet tomorrow to let her know what's going on and to ask if I should stop the bactrim or keep it up and see if the no veggies helps first.

I've got her in the separate cage for now(pushed up against the other cage) but hope to put her back in with the girls when she's not so messy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 pm

I hope you can get this sorted out soon. Your plan sounds good!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

I hope you are able to get it sorted out too!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:54 am

"Could the bactrim be causing the poo to get mushier?"

Not real likely but not impossible. We had one little girl who could not even tolerate metronidazole. We just prayed she never needed an AB for anything at all.

I still say try a course of metronidazole if you haven't already (without reading back).

You are giving probiotics, yes?

Topaz

Post   » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 am

Yes I am giving probiotics as well as some extra vitamin c.

She's had a 14 day course of Flagyl and handled that well. Didn't clear things up but certainly didn't make anything worse.

This morning her poos are not so runny but are still not great. I gave her some more poop soup from Goldie and have skipped her morning dose of bactrim until I talk to the vet.

I will also skip the greens.

She's still in her separate cage. :(

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 am

Called the vet yesterday morning. She called me back in the afternoon and said she had spent the day researching.

Unfortunately, she says there is no "magic bullet" for cases like Zoey's, that we are doing everything we can, and that sometimes no matter what you do, the loose poos will not resolve(and will recur if they do improve). I guess I kind of knew this.

She recommends that I continue with the bactrim as sometimes things can get a little worse before they get better.

She also said that if the bactrim and flagyl haven't done the trick, she would not know which step to take next, what other meds to try, and that she read that sometimes the only solution is to feed hay only, supplemented with vitamin c. No veggies, no pellets. She did say this worried her a bit but that in most cases, the diarrhea will resolve.

We talked for quite a while and she said she'd leave things up to me and that if I was concerned or needed advice, to call her. She said she trusted my judgement as to whether or not to stop the bactrim if the diarrhea worsens or does not improve, and whether or not to try the hay and vitamin c only thing. We discussed that if it comes down to that, weighing would be crucial...and so on.

I don't know. I think we are both a bit confused and frustrated. It seems like we are doing all the right things but as i said, sometimes for whatever reason, even that doesn't work and a pig can have unexplained, chronic, loose stool.

For now, I'm continuing with the bactrim and am giving extra vitamin c, poop soup, and probiotics. I am feeding her hay and pellets only. I'm not ready to cut the pellets out and want to see if just cutting out the greens helps first.

Forgot to mention in my previous posts that her watery eye has resolved. At least there's a bit of good news to report.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 am

I hope it doesn't come down to hay only. I would also consider fresh grass, introduced very very slowly once you have some new growth in the spring. Good to know her eye is doing better at least.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 am

Yes Lynx, I had the same thought yesterday. If it does resort to the hay/vit c only diet, I would definitely try to introduce some fresh grass in the Spring.

Poor girl. :( It's just not fair.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 am

I don't know if this will help, but my girls only get endive as a treat, other than that no lettuce and pellets only 2-3 times a week. Of course they also get all the hay they want.

I swtiched due to dental issues, but wonder if it may help your girl. Twice a day they get corn husks and silks and usualy cilantro. In the morning they get wheat grass and in the evening I add one of these three: cherry tomato, red pepper, or strawberry. I doubt she could handle the tomato, strawberry or pepper, but perhaps the other three would not bother her since they are more like grass. Cilantro has a decent amount of C in it as well.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 am

After a reaction to Metacam my Arnold's tummy became very sensitive to veggies and still is.

I had to stop all of his veg for a while, to give him time for his poops to clear up. I always took him out of the cage whilst the other two chowed down.

I did slowly introduce things back one at a time to see what he can handle, and what he can't. I separate the cage at fed time so he has his limited selection at one end and the other two have their usual.

I found cilantro and cucumber to be a big no for him. I've not tried tomato again yet, and he seems to be fine at the moment with red pepper (not green or yellow)

I made sure to feed him more regularly and other than becoming an expert at chattering his teeth he doesn't seem to have suffered and his weight is stable.

I did feel awful for him, but I felt less like a meanie when I got him out for his extra noms.

I hope things get better for Zoey!

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks ladies. Both of your suggestions are good.

Although I do think this girl is at a point right now where I need to cut out all veggies. At least for now until these poops are under control. I need to figure out what's what. Not a good time to add anything to the mix I am thinking, other than the limited pellets, hay, vit c, and probiotics. Once things look better, and I so hope they will, I can start seeing what, as far as veggies go, she can handle. Hopefully at least a couple of them? Or grass at the very least.

I love the separating for feeding time. That's a great idea and it may come in very handy at some point. I hadn't even thought of that.

It gives me hope that I can maybe get her back with my other girls at some point.

Please people, fingers crossed that what I'm doing now works and the soft poos resolve!!

Right now she's in another room away from the main cage and when it was veggie time, she started wheeking. :( I tried to do it as quietly as I could. Then I went in there to talk to her, take some poops out of the cage, and loaded her up with lots of hay.

It's just so sad to me that she can't have veggies right now as we all know how crazy about them our pigs are.

Jaycey, how long after stopping veggies did it take for the poos to look better?

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Jaycey, how long after stopping veggies did it take for the poos to look better?

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I found a new probiotic at the health food store where the contents of the capsule are protected from stomach acid and will work in the gut. I didn't realize that most probiotics, when taken out of the capsule, die in the stomach because of the acid, because the capsule protects it from that.

It is Kyodophilus, and it is working for my girl Stella. It is turning her GI around, and I am thrilled. Knock on wood.

I sprinkle around 1/8th into a bowl and mix with 1cc of water twice a day, so every day, she is getting about 1/4th of the capsule.

http://www.vitacost.com/Kyolic-Kyo-Dophilus-Acidophilus-9

I think it works way better than the Bene-Bac and others. Also, remember not to give it within 1 1/2 - 2 hours either side of the antibiotics.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Thank you! I think I may give that a try. I've been doing acidophilus(sp?) and poop soup but I know it's tough to get the good stuff in there when it comes to probiotics. I give them at least 2 hours after the antibiotics.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:57 pm

You might look over this thread by Brenda B who was having soft poop problems with Sierra. I believe she finally got it mostly cleared up. Sorry, I don't know how to provide the neat, little link to another thread. The title is:

"Soft poop-please help"

Topaz

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks, Bookfan. Heading there now.

I'm think I'm going to discontinue the bactrim.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2017

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Could you cross-post the link here? My Peaches had the same soft poops from protozoan overgrowth treated with Flagyl, which improved but did not completely resolve the problem. More than the tiniest amount of veg makes it worse.

144 posts