Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 am

Yep, the Cerenia stuff has been published. Extract as well as JAVMA? I think. Dr. at work confirmed today. And we have found it to be true in practice. It's a wonder drug, I tell ya. The only issue is the administration route in a small exotic (and where to start with dosing?). And the price can be cost prohibitive for most practices unless they pass along the cost. The Dr. I work closely with at our practice has pretty good acceptance of the drug and extra charges when she explains it to the clients. It can easily cost $25-40 for most smaller dogs.

Yeah, I'd probably prefer buprenorphine or tramadol for GI pain. I've seen too many issues with pred. And a few deaths with aspirin and tylenol dosage. Not many with Metacam, but one or two over the years.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:12 am

I'll keep after my vet to keep looking for info. This sounds very promising. And yes, she mentioned giving it in a SQ bolus as well. She said a bunch of stuff the same as you said, which I forgot about. :-(

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:45 am

Yea NSAIDs are just not very safe when it comes to GI compromises... tylenol and aspirin being way less specific (therefore more potentially GI/renal/liver toxic) than some of the newer generation NSAIDs. Metacam isnt all that specific either, but way better than acetaminophen or aspirin. Cats and dogs (esp cats) are super sensitive and there's a really low safety range.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 am

Just to update, the foster said Simon is less gassy and seems to be doing well. So hopefully he is healing.

And my pig with the suspected adhesions -- Dr. Cote thinks not. Probably cancer. Waiting on cytology results. I will ask her about the Cerenia when she calls.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 am

Oh man. Best to her and to you, and continued best to Simon and his incredible foster.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 am

Ditto what Talishan said. Some people get beat up pretty bad at times. It used to happen to me when I had a lot of rescues. I'm so sorry about all of this. Simon seems to be a real fighter.