Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:19 am

I wanted to get some opinions, if possible, on the prognosis and post-op care following an inguinal hernia after an abdominal neuter. We have a 6 month old boar who was neutered (by an exotics vet, no less) and developed a sudden large swelling in the testicles today, about a week after surgery. He was taken to the ER tonight and they said it was due to "faulty surgery," that the vet had not tied off the inguinal ring well enough and the intestines were spilling out.

They are keeping the pig overnight and operating in the morning and the estimate is $750. He is then going back to the foster home.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the prognosis is for this kind of repair, and also what things should we be looking out for as far as post-op complications? I'm guessing, possible stasis? Should we start Metacam along with the post-op painkiller? He is on Buprenex right now.

Thanks for your replies. The foster is very worried.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:30 am

viewtopic.php?t=61612

This might be helpful.

Fingers crossed for the sweet baby!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:32 am

The quicker you do the repair, the better prognosis. Prognosis varies greatly and depends on if/how much bowels are strangulated, if so, how much of it and how badly. Unfortunately, you wont know until they get in there. And once in, if there's a lot of necrosis, how much needs to be resected. Then you'll have to worry about all the toxins from the bowel tissue and any electrolyte/acid base imbalances. But again, it depends on if anything is strangulated, how much and for how long.

I hope he recovers soon. If you are able to provide more details on what the vet say when they opened him back up and how ill he appears, I can prob give u a better idea. Definitely want to hospitalize with IV fluids for a few days.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 am

I may steer away from the metacam/NSAIDs and go with the opioids, maybe something stronger than buprenex. What did the vet suggest? I'm sure they'll send home something for pain. And antibiotics too.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 am

Thank you CP. He is at LBAH right now overnight and Dr. R will operate in the morning. The vet there is the newest vet.

The foster said the lump appeared today and she has been checking regularly. He is still eating so hopefully it was caught early.

ETA: I just wanted to make it clear that it was NOT Dr. R at LBAH who did the surgery, it was at another vet.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 am

Ooo if he's still eating, it's probably not strangulating, because that is painful. The blood gets choked out of the GI loop, it starts to die and the body has to deal with all that necrosis. Don't give any NSAIDs until after the surgery (if Dr R says it's ok). NSAIDs blocks out things other than inflammatory mediators, such as GI and kidney protectants. Is the foster able to poke it in and out? It's prob reducible and that's a great sign :)

KarmicVegan

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:45 am

Poor Sweetie...Im worried too

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:57 am

Poor little guy. I am keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Perrla

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 am

The biggest thing to watch for is infection and potential reoccurence.

When it comes to looking for infection. If it's hot, dark red, draining puss and stays that way it's probably infected.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:04 am

He is in a lot of pain. They could not examine him without giving him a shot of Buprenex.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 am

I want to wish him, his foster and all of you the very very best, first off, of course.

But I also want to mention what a TREMENDOUS resource CP is here with her education, training and continuing experience. She is just *awesome* to have here.
Last edited by Talishan on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 am

Wow Nicole. I'm interested in what they will use to repair it and I hope the pig will not react to the material.