Inguinal Hernia -- prognosis/complications

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm

My heart is going thumpity-thump. What a precious boy, and he has been through an incredible time of it.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 pm

If his head swells, the collar is too tight.

:)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:03 am

What a beautiful little pig. Kudos to *everyone* trying so hard to help him.

V.A.L. syrup has a lot of B-complex vitamins in it, and we used to use it on occasion a long time ago for that. If the pig needed a B boost, it helped but the "cost" was very high. The liver fraction is either actual liver or liver flavoring, put in to make it palatable to dogs. The smell will knock you down and send every cavy in your home running to the back end of the house.

Far better for B:

http://www.vitasprings.com/baby-b-s-inf ... ource.html

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 am

He was doing well when I left. He ate a fair amount, drank water and made a few skinny poos. The area looks pretty swollen and now crooked because of all the tissue removed. Really hoping the ABs take care of it, I don't understand why the necrosis occurred.

BTW, the ER vet who treated him was Dr. Bayon at Orange County Emergency Pet Clinic in Garden Grove. So, yay! A VET IN OC who can operate on guinea pigs!

http://www.er4yourpet.com/

worldangel

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:56 am

Looks like the male version of Coral!

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:45 pm

His wounds are turning black around the sutures. Dr. R is seeing him at 3. What could be causing this?

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 pm

This whole situation is heartbreaking. I feel so badly for the little guy. I hope it isn't necrotic. Please keep us updated.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 pm

They really need to culture the subcut... maybe even snip out some tissue and send it out. Sounds like a fasciitis or something.

Coincidently, we have a dog here that got some flesh eating bacteria after a neuter. He lost nearly all the skin on his abdomen and lets. Then he almost went septic from a GI perforation! They all thought he was going to die but a few months and many many skin grafts later, he's still here!

Things can turn around.. but I am very worried for Simon.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Thank you CP for your input and also earlier today. Dr. R said he thinks it is normal skin bruising and not necrosis. The foster is supposed to feel the area tomorrow and if it has changed for the worse or is hard, she will bring him back.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 pm

No advice but fingers crossed hard here for the little guy. I hope he turns around.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:10 pm

I hope so too!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:03 am

Man. Continuing best wishes for Simon and for all of you.