Subcutaneous cysts

pigpal

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:58 pm

Is there a upper limit beyond which it´s advisable to have a cyst rechecked?

I had a pea-sized lump on one of my pigs aspirated last August and it was determined to be harmless. Since then it´s grown to about 4cm x 4cm, but is not apparently causing any discomfort. Is it OK to just ignore it?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:02 pm

I am guessing they could get large enough (depending on the placement) that they could make walking or daily functions difficult. I think you saw Pinta´s lumpy pig pic (search on Peony). If they got too big they might drag and the skin could be injured.

I´m guessing an owner might decide it looked too big and do something about it. If you happen to ask your vet, let us know his/her opinion.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:32 am

That seems pretty large. Depending on it´s location it might be wise to just have it removed. If you knew it wasn´t growing anymore, it would probably be fine to leave it, but it does sound like it might get bigger.

Your vet would know best if it can be left and whether it will affect the comfort of the pig.

We never had any of Peony´s cysts removed because none got so big that they caused an interference. Also she has so many it would be impossible to remove them all. Not enough skin to pull together.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1