Soft Stool/Squeaking and Straining While Pooing

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:43 am

I think letting the vet know about the second pig may be important for the diagnostics.

You are being so thorough! Would blood work show if things were not being absorbed properly? How is her coat of hair? Does she otherwise look healthy?

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 pm

couchon - No, Buttercup is not spayed. However, I don't think that there is any pattern to her stools that can be linked to a hormonal cycle.

Lynx - I think that the blood tests would show if there was anything wrong with her liver or kidneys, but I don't know if the liver or kidneys have anything to do with things being absorbed properly. Her coat of hair is so silky and shiny (in fact, I've wondered before if she is a Silkie breed of guinea pig? Her coat is just so much silkier and shinier than Piggy's, whose coat is very matte and a little bit more coarse). Other than her poo issues and newly discovered cataracts, she looks very healthy. I think that is part of the reason why her vets are so confused by her case.

To add to the confusion...this morning everyone's (both Piggy's and Buttercup's) stools were normal! I don't know what is going on. I don't want to jinx it because this has happened before and her poos have gone back to being their normal, awful selves the very next day, but could this be the vitamin B12 shot working? And maybe Piggy's brief bout of soft stool was completely unrelated to her? Who knows at this point.

Here is Buttercup laying next to a perfect stool that she produced.

Image[/b]

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Buttercup had good poos all day Thursday, bad poos on Friday, and good poos again today. But I know none of it means anything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:15 am

Still hoping you can achieve consistently good poops.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Soft stools are back. I sent her vet this email last night:

Buttercup had good poos all day on Thursday, mushy misshapen ones on Friday, and good ones again on Saturday. Additionally, the Tramadol seems to be helping somewhat. Although I still see her straining and squeaking while passing stool, it seems to be less frequently and with less intensity than before. There were even a few times that I saw a nice, normal looking poo slip out of her butt so effortlessly as she was walking around. It is a rare occurrence, but I have seen her do this a few times. This only happens on the days that she has good stools. However, there have still been some loud squeaks and large strains/ear flapping while pooing over the past few days.

Since you first saw her on February 15th, I have kept track of all of the days that she has had good stools. They are 2/20, 2/25, 2/27, 3/02, 3/07, 3/22, and 3/24. On these days, every single stool is completely normal looking both in shape and size. They might be the tiniest bit soft, but they are drastically firmer than her usual stools. She seems to be in less pain.

Each time the good stools last for only for one day, never any longer. There is never any transition, either at the onset or offset. On the good stool days her stools are all good; on the bad stool days her stools are all bad. There's no in between. These good stool days just confound me.

I think that I have to bring Piggy back in as well. She has a very small amount of hair loss underneath her left eye, and I fear that it is because whatever is on her nose has spread. When I bring Buttercup in next week, do you think it would be better to have her be a day case instead? If not, I am going to try to schedule Piggy's appointment either for directly before or directly after hers.

It will be interesting to see what he writes back.

Topaz

Post   » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Gah! I feel your frustration. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes, Ech. You are a good pig mom and are doing everything right. Keep it up and maybe those good poo days will become more frequent.

My Zoey has been having lovely poos for the past few days again. *furiously knocks wood* Perfect little things, they are. Just like a "normal" pig! I can pick them right up and throw them away. NO mush. It's so strange how happy a nice poo can make you feel after what we've been going through, isn't it??

Don't know how or why things are looking so good, but I don't care...just glad to see it!

More good thoughts being sent for you guys.

Ech90
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm

I think that I have a problem with flies in my room and I desperately need advice.

It started last weekend. It was very warm outside and campus housing had not yet turned on the air conditioning. I decided to open up a window even though none of the windows have screens in them. I figured that bugs wouldn't be a problem because I live high up on the 18th floor. That night I noticed a fly in my room. This was the first time there had ever been a fly in my room all year, I figured that its appearance had to be related to my opening the window earlier in the day. I decided to never open the window again.

There was only that one little fly. It took me a few days to finally kill it, but I felt very satisfied once it was done. I figured that was it.

Two days later there was another little fly flying around. I had no idea where a second fly could have come from. I convinced myself that the first fly had somehow revived itself and come back to life. I was able to kill the fly pretty quickly this time, and once again I thought that there would be no more flies.

This has basically repeated itself 3 more times. I will see one single fly. During the day or so it takes me to kill it, it is the only fly I see. Once it is dead, I think that I am fly free. Anywhere from a hours to a few days later, another one will reappear. By now I realize that this is not the first fly being reincarnated a million times, but I don't know where they are coming from. There isn't a huge infestation of them - I only see them one at a time.

I have been telling myself that seeing one fly every few days isn't that big of a problem, and it wouldn't be, if it were just me. However, today I saw a fly actually inside the guinea pig cage, sitting on top of a piece of hay. I looked up "flies near guinea pigs" on google and something came up about flystrike. I almost threw up. I am now panicking. I can deal with many things but there are three things that just fill me with sheer terror: external and internal parasites, worms, and maggots. Flystrike is like all three phobias combined. It is my worst nightmare.

If Piggy or Buttercup were to get flystrike, I would not be able to handle it. I already feel like I am barely keeping my head above water with the diarrhea and fungus. Flystrike cannot occur. I would literally shut down. I am trying to take deep breaths and calm myself, but I cannot get that image of flystrike out of my head. It is so upsetting. I need someone to reassure me that either that flystrike will not occur or how to prevent it. I need someone to tell me that these flies are not my fault and that it's not because I don't keep their cage clean enough. I need someone to tell me that I can handle all of these illnesses because I've been increasingly feeling that I can't. Lastly, I need someone to tell me that I do take good care of Piggy and Buttercup, because sometimes it feels like their problems are all my fault. I would ask my vet to tell me all of these things, but he already thinks that I am a completely neurotic nutcase because of all of the poop pictures and videos that I am constantly taking.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 pm

What kind of flies are they? I get periodic infestations of flies in the pantry that come in with cereal boxes, but they look very different from regular old black house flies.

You can buy sticky strips that will catch flies at any hardware store. You could hang them around the cage, but I don't know how effective they'd be or how many you'd have to have to make a difference.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:46 pm

I believe it is a particular kind of fly that causes fly strike. It is more likely to happen to a guinea pig kept outside than an inside one.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 am

We get some flies in the house in the summer(my dogs open the sliding door) and I just hang a fly strip from the ceiling over the cage. It works great and catches a lot of flies.

If you do this though, make sure it can't pull out and end up in the cage!

JamieK

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:18 am

--
Last edited by JamieK on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamieK

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am

Oh dear... all that trouble where possibly it might be a simple bacterial or parasitic infection. Have you tried natural therapies? Antibiotics can help but sometimes they don't, also they have adverse effects of killing positive microflora, diminished appetite, lethargy etc.

Here is what I have successfully tried on my little big friend on several occassions. Three stage approach:

1. Eliminate bad bacterias or parasites with potent and no side effects causing natural methods. My favourites are:

- turmeric (2-3 times/day small pinch (a tip of tsp) disolved in 5-10 ml of water and applied to mouth via 1 ml syringe); try this for a week or two - my little one loves it.

- citrus seed extract (aka "grapefruit seed extract" - not to be confused with "grape seed extract" which is another product): very potent antibacterial, antiparasitic, antifungal agent - you can buy it in health food shops - it has a very bitter taste: carefully measure/dilute 1/4 drop 3x/day. - I normally dissolve one drop in 40 ml water container, and apply 1/4 portion of that amount via 1 ml syringe 3x/day;

2. Apply Probiotic cultures - (i) ask vet for some probiotics, or alternatively (ii) you may apply a 1-2 fresh droppings per day from a healthy guinea (make sure the donor is super healthy), dissolve it in 1-2 ml of water and apply via 1 ml syringe or - (iii) I use home made kefir or yogurt - 1 ml via 1 ml syringe 3 times per day.

3. Diet, diet, diet:

(i) Unlimited access to a good quality hay (eg. timothy hay made by Oxbow);
(ii) Unlimited access to clean fresh grass (try to determine - trial and error - which grass they love the most and be very generous with it).
(iii) Some good quality grass pellets (to supplement grass and hay, not the other way around - again I use Oxbow's products because of their quality certification; beware of pellets of unknown content).
(iv) Limited amount of fresh vegetables (in the morning and evening)
(v) Access to clean fresh water at all times
(vi) Vitamin C (!) - very important.

Don't give any grains, seeds or sugars etc (!!!)

Hope this helps. Please, try to cure this issue ASAP because it may lead to other serious problems.