ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

Post Reply
grace505

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm


I found the material discussing combining Doxy with Gentamicin, although it's for rats. Here is the link.

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/doxycycline.php

grace505

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:31 pm


Anyone?

User avatar
LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 am


Sorry to have missed this thread - been away a few days due to some hard deadlines at school.

How old is Turbo now? I ask because my little boy came to me at 5 or 6 weeks old with a persistent URI that lasted about 6 months. Then he seemed to grow out of it, seemingly independent of any treatment we had given him.

I was nebulizing him with gentamicin for awhile, and it did not go well. He started showing AB intolerance within 5 days, and had discolored urine. We still did a full 10 days of treatment, combined with ciprofloxacin (a Baytril relative), and did not have good results. His weight actually stalled out for about a month, and he got a bit boney, and ended up relapsing again afterward.

I was given gentamicin sulfate at 100 mg/ml, and instructed to nebulize half a ml with 4.5 ml sterile saline, which puts the dose at about 50mg/ml. I nebulized 2 pigs at once on this dose, twice a day.

I did not do the turn on/off thing with the nebulizer - that is supposed to keep too much of the drug from hitting the pigs at once - because I found it impractical with how busy I was. I hand-fed thin pellet mash afterward to get extra moisture into their systems, but a nice wet salad in the nebulizer will do the same thing, and keep the drug from being too hard on the kidneys. That is where the damage may be done.

ETA: this treatment did not seem to do any long-term damage that I am aware of, but I would be careful with gentamicin, especially in combo with other ABs.

grace505

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am


Hi LS in AK, i've read over your thread before and i remember you, how are you and your piggies doing?

I am supposed to do the Gentamicin at 40mg/ml, 1 ml with 3 ml saline, thirty minutes, twice a day.

I have to talk to the vet about an A/B combo, but he's very worried about kidney damage, i really had to push for me even to try nebulizing with just the Gentamicin.

We're going to start tomorrow and i'll let you know how it goes. If this doesn't work i can maybe try an A/B combo with the Gent, but these are the last A/Bs listed as sensitive in his culture and we'd be stuck just doing pulse therapy with the Doxy/Bactrim combo he's doing now which keeps him well but doesn't cure him.

I guess that's better than nothing, though, and he's been doing really well eating, drinking, pooping, etc, so that's something to be very grateful for.

Thanks for your reply!

User avatar
LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 am


Wow, just looked back over this thread, and you've been fighting this for over a year now. Guess that means Turbo isn't likely to outgrow whatever is going on?

Did you ever test for mycoplasma? I know that can cause chronic respiratory problems in rats, and cause some severe illnesses in piggies.

Sorry for the repeat info on my little boy. Forgot that I'd already put his story on your thread.

I'd start with the gentamicin and see if it helps. The on/off pulse treatment in the nebulizer combined with wet veggies should help minimize risk to the kidneys. If you see any loss of appetite or discolored urine, I'd call the vet right away.

If my little boy hadn't suffered a bad reaction to the gentamicin and cipro, the plan was to nebulize him with it for a month.

Sounds like Turbo has had a lot of issues - I would not be surprised if he has a compromised immune system due some in-breeding depression or poor care early in life (ie before he came to your home.) I would be prepared for low-level maintenance AB therapy throughout his life.

Also, keep tabs on his heart.

grace505

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am


No problem on the repeat info.

Yeah, it's been a long haul and we've tried just about everything else that was indicated as sensative on the lab report, so here we are.

I think you are absolutely right, he's just always going to be my little poorly pig. He's also had stuff going on with his eyes for a while now and leaves serious white spots in the cage, so i have to figure that out as well. His brother, Diesel, has been off meds for months now and he's not getting sick, it's just Turbo.

I'll let you know how it goes, we did our first session this morning and he did well, ate his veggies in the tank and drank lots of Vit. C flavored water after. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm


I imagine you have read gl/stones.html and are giving him a timothy pellet (not alfalfa)?

I hope the gentamycin helps him!!

grace505

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm


Lynx, yes, i've read all the pages, thank you!

He is on the timothy pellets, i might reduce them a little bit b/c he does eat a lot of hay, see if that helps.

I am also going to start experimenting withholding different veggies that have a higher calcium content and see if that makes a difference at all.

I'm crossing my fingers on the Gentamicin as well, thank you!!

peppercookie

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 am


Hi Grace (and other lovely members of the forums!),

Sorry for posting to a thread so long after your last post, but my guinea pig is going through something similar. Were you able to cure Turbo in the end with the nebulizer?

My pig Cookie has been on several courses of baytril, then bactrim for a week (how long does it take for it to kick in?) and now doxy for 4 days for a course of 3 weeks. An x-ray showed signs of pneumonia and no signs of an enlarged heart. In total she's been trying to kick this on and off for around a year now. Perhaps I need to wait a few more days with the doxy, but it hasn't shown much improvement. I think we'll try the baytril and doxy combo together next (orally).

I will be starting a new thread after this as this one is quite old and was created for Turbo, but I wanted to check in to see what happened in your case.
Thanks!

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am


peppercookie, since it has been so long, it is unlikely she will see your post. She last visited this forum 5/21/2013, 1:18 pm. You could try sending your question using the mailer on the chance she has the same email address. Encourage her to post on this thread.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am


peppercookie, if it's pneumonia I may be able to help you. I had a girl that had pneumonia once, and relapsed three times before beating it, and I fought it with one of my boys for about a month before I lost him. I've tried many different treatments and may be able to help! Maybe start your own thread for this (if you haven't started one already) and we can all pitch in?

Post Reply
211 posts