Try Chloramphenicol by itself. Not combined with any other drug unless approved by your vet. And it is an oral drug.
And I suggested gentamycin alone as well.
Moving forward, I won't comment on this thread. The little bits of info that I posted seem to get mangled & twisted, and I'm not going to get blamed for a dead pig when things go wrong.
Grace505, you need to talk to your vet about the best course of action now.
I am waiting on a call from my vet to make a decision on how to proceed, he and I ALONE are responsible for the actions we take, not anyone here. All advice and input here is only info gathered to talk about with the vet, never for me to make a decision alone by myself. Thanks.
My other two options after that would be the Chloremphenical orally OR nebulizing Gentamicin. The Gentamicin has to be ordered, but it's pretty cheap, only about a dollar a day. The Chloremphenical is a whole other deal, i think it can be ordered and the vet printed me out some info on it so i can be more informed when asking the pharmacist questions so i know what the heck i'm talking about and what i need to ask for specifically, dosages, form (oral), etc.
I just read that article online and wondered if that wasn't maybe worth a try. My neighbor has a good nebulizer i can use for free and the saline is $15 at the most, that was one place and i haven't yet shopped around at all, but that's for 100 three ml vials, so pretty darn cheap, even using it twice a day.
- LS in AK
- Upside-down & Backwards
Turbo was on a Doxy/Bactrim combo for two solid months during which he did pretty well, but then started getting a little labored breathing toward the end.
The vet and i decided to try the Chloramphenicol and he has been on it for six days and the first two days he did great, but the last few days he's been doing not so well. He's been more stuffy and congested and more sneezing and snot as well. The vet is interested in seeing if the Doxy or Bactrim can be combined with the Chloram. before he has me try the Gentamicin due to the danger of kidney damage. They are doing some research on their end and wanted me to ask here. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rebecca
I took him to the vet yesterday because he seemed a little bloated on the sides. The vet took an x-ray and made sure it was just gas and not an obstruction or anything. Turbo is pooping more as time goes on, but just globs of poop, nothing normal really, but it's better than no pooping at all at this point. The vet didn't give me anything for the gas, should i be giving him something to help disperse it?
Should i withhold veggies from Turbo? I've cut back their veggies amount to half to encourange them to eat more hay and pellets. Neither of them ever stopped eating the veggies, just the hay.
I am syringing Turbo Critical Care mixed with baby food carrots and Pedialyte as a supplement, he is eating veggies and pellets and some hay, but i'm trying to encourage more of that. I am also syringing him Pedialyte mixed with some Vit C and probiotics, as he is on Chloramphenicol.
I don't believe this problem is from the antibiotics, it was the hay i'm pretty sure, as Diesel did the same thing at the same time but went back on track pretty quickly, probably because he's not sick already like Turbo is. The vet agreed with me.
Turbo lost a little weight Monday/Tuesday, but is maintaining it now. I'm concerned about the gas, what should i do? Thanks!
I've read in some threads that the Sim. just turns the little bubbles into one big bubble that can be too big to toot out, but some people don't feel that way.
I was doing carrot baby food, but i do have a can of pure pumpkin (thank you Lynx website for that great advice!). This afternoon Turbo started drinking from the water bottle of his own accord and sat and drank and ate pellets back and forth for about a solid twenty minutes. He seems less bulky now and has been back to the water bottle, so i feel better about that.
I cut both of the boys' vegetables in half to encourage the hay eating, i just wasn't sure about cutting it entirely for Turbo in case he wouldn't eat anything else. How long should i wait for his diarrhea to clear before deciding to cut veggies totally? It's not runny, just clumpy, and i'm still making him do the Critical Care, which he's not very excited about.
He doesn't seem to be in pain, although he's not really excited about life right now either. He is moving around quite a bit when i put him on the floor and we're doing some dryer time because i don't have a vibrating pillow. If there's anything i'm not doing that i should, please let me know!
Check this links page Tracis assembled for more info on nebulizers:
We tried Chlorampenicol and Turbo had a very bad reaction to it, so we went back to a Bactrim/Doxy combo which we know he did well on, but doesn't cure him, and he's back up to his previous weight again.
Lana had put the Gentamicin dose at 40mg/ml but i've read on multiple threads here about 100mg/ml. That's quite a difference and i'd like to make sure which is the right dose for nebulizing.
How long should i consider nebulizing before i decide it's not going to work? The vet is really worried about how toxic the Gentamicin is and we had talked about a range from one to four weeks, but neither of us really knows how long we should go if the symptoms aren't going away right away.
Also, at some point should i add something oral in, like Doxy, or should i be doing that from the start? If doing a combo, what dose of each the Gentamicin and Doxy should i give?
This is unknown territory for both my vet and me, so we both appreciate all help!
Also, i thought i had read about combining the Gentamicin with Doxy but am having trouble finding that material again. The Bactrim was also indicated on the lab report and i have that as well.
Turbo weighs about 1250 grams right now.