ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

Post Reply
Lana

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm


Let me be very clear. I did not suggest using Chloramphenicol and gentamycin together. I do not know if these two drugs can be combined.

Try Chloramphenicol by itself. Not combined with any other drug unless approved by your vet. And it is an oral drug.

And I suggested gentamycin alone as well.

Moving forward, I won't comment on this thread. The little bits of info that I posted seem to get mangled & twisted, and I'm not going to get blamed for a dead pig when things go wrong.

Grace505, you need to talk to your vet about the best course of action now.

grace505

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:29 pm


Lana, first and foremost, thank you for all your help and input. I'm sorry that you feel your advice is being mangled and twisted because you've been very helpful to me. I understand that others have offered advice very different from yours and am in no way combining nor confusing the two.

I am waiting on a call from my vet to make a decision on how to proceed, he and I ALONE are responsible for the actions we take, not anyone here. All advice and input here is only info gathered to talk about with the vet, never for me to make a decision alone by myself. Thanks.

grace505

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:22 pm


I was reading online about how sometimes people with COPD, etc, nebulize with just saline and no medication and that that helps to moisturize the lungs and break up the mucus so it can come out more easily. Has anyone ever done this? I'm sure it won't hurt the pigs, but has anyone found any benefit of doing this at all? It's pretty cheap to do and worth a try i'm sure, i just didn't know if anyone had any hard facts or firsthand experience with it. Thanks!

Lana

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm


What about nebulizing with medication as per the test results?

grace505

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:02 pm


Lana, well i talked with the vet about what you had said about the Bactrim not being the right drug since it didn't work before, but he felt it was worth a try anyway since it's readily available and cheap and we know both the pigs tolerate it well. So Turbo is on a Doxy/Bactrim combo right now and seems to be doing pretty well, i'm seeing more sneezing than i would like, but maybe that's just getting the mucus out??

My other two options after that would be the Chloremphenical orally OR nebulizing Gentamicin. The Gentamicin has to be ordered, but it's pretty cheap, only about a dollar a day. The Chloremphenical is a whole other deal, i think it can be ordered and the vet printed me out some info on it so i can be more informed when asking the pharmacist questions so i know what the heck i'm talking about and what i need to ask for specifically, dosages, form (oral), etc.

I just read that article online and wondered if that wasn't maybe worth a try. My neighbor has a good nebulizer i can use for free and the saline is $15 at the most, that was one place and i haven't yet shopped around at all, but that's for 100 three ml vials, so pretty darn cheap, even using it twice a day.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 pm


I recall one pet owner doing very gentle drumming with fingertips to loosen phlegm and mucus in the lungs.

User avatar
LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 am


Grace, if you have easy access to a nebulizer, then I think it would be a good idea to try giving your pig(s) treatment with just sterile saline, and see if it helps. I nebulize one 3 cc syringe of sterile saline daily for my chronically stuffed-up/sneezing little boy, and it definitely helps clear up his breathing a bit.

grace505

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:58 am


Lynx and LS, thanks for the advice! He's not very stuffed up, seems good on that end, and his breathing is fine, but i think anything to help loosen and expel is a good idea, especially if it can't hurt, right? I know i've read about some medications not being able to penetrate the mucus and that being the helpful part of nebulizing as well.

grace505

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:53 pm


I am trying to find out if Chloramphenicol can be combined with Doxy or Bactrim.

Turbo was on a Doxy/Bactrim combo for two solid months during which he did pretty well, but then started getting a little labored breathing toward the end.

The vet and i decided to try the Chloramphenicol and he has been on it for six days and the first two days he did great, but the last few days he's been doing not so well. He's been more stuffy and congested and more sneezing and snot as well. The vet is interested in seeing if the Doxy or Bactrim can be combined with the Chloram. before he has me try the Gentamicin due to the danger of kidney damage. They are doing some research on their end and wanted me to ask here. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rebecca

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm


I think it has been combined with Doxy but am unfortunately not positive. Have you tried searching the medical forum?

grace505

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm


Lynx. i am going through threads now but am not finding much. I'm going to keep working on it, though! Thanks!

grace505

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm


My boys stopped eating hay on Monday and stopped pooping. I realized Monday afternoon, switched out the hay and worked on syringing water and whatnot to both of them. Diesel was back on track within six hours, but my Turbo is having trouble still.

I took him to the vet yesterday because he seemed a little bloated on the sides. The vet took an x-ray and made sure it was just gas and not an obstruction or anything. Turbo is pooping more as time goes on, but just globs of poop, nothing normal really, but it's better than no pooping at all at this point. The vet didn't give me anything for the gas, should i be giving him something to help disperse it?

Should i withhold veggies from Turbo? I've cut back their veggies amount to half to encourange them to eat more hay and pellets. Neither of them ever stopped eating the veggies, just the hay.

I am syringing Turbo Critical Care mixed with baby food carrots and Pedialyte as a supplement, he is eating veggies and pellets and some hay, but i'm trying to encourage more of that. I am also syringing him Pedialyte mixed with some Vit C and probiotics, as he is on Chloramphenicol.

I don't believe this problem is from the antibiotics, it was the hay i'm pretty sure, as Diesel did the same thing at the same time but went back on track pretty quickly, probably because he's not sick already like Turbo is. The vet agreed with me.

Turbo lost a little weight Monday/Tuesday, but is maintaining it now. I'm concerned about the gas, what should i do? Thanks!

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:33 pm


Simethicone should help. You've read the advice on the emergency page? gl/emergency.html#bloat

What kind of babyfood? I'd try pumpkin as it has more fiber. Easing up on vegetables would likely help.

grace505

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 pm


Lynx, i've read the emergency page (and the links) about a million times, i get so crazy worried! What i'm unclear on is gas sometimes just gas, or is gas bloat, or does gas turn into bloat at some point? Does bloat just happen when the food's not moving at all? He's pooping but it's all clumpy and yuck, but better than none!

I've read in some threads that the Sim. just turns the little bubbles into one big bubble that can be too big to toot out, but some people don't feel that way.

I was doing carrot baby food, but i do have a can of pure pumpkin (thank you Lynx website for that great advice!). This afternoon Turbo started drinking from the water bottle of his own accord and sat and drank and ate pellets back and forth for about a solid twenty minutes. He seems less bulky now and has been back to the water bottle, so i feel better about that.

I cut both of the boys' vegetables in half to encourage the hay eating, i just wasn't sure about cutting it entirely for Turbo in case he wouldn't eat anything else. How long should i wait for his diarrhea to clear before deciding to cut veggies totally? It's not runny, just clumpy, and i'm still making him do the Critical Care, which he's not very excited about.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, although he's not really excited about life right now either. He is moving around quite a bit when i put him on the floor and we're doing some dryer time because i don't have a vibrating pillow. If there's anything i'm not doing that i should, please let me know!

Thanks!

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am


It is hard to know how gas and bloat are related. I think when there is gas, one starts worrying about bloat and monitors more closely.

Corney

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 am


My pig 'Corney' has been ill with a URI for almost 5 weeks now and nothing seems to work. He has an xray and it appears he has a build up of scar tissue or 'gunk' in his lungs. We can see if there is fluid on the lungs however it definately sounds like there is. I feel so helpless. He is eating and rinking and still running around but lately he has appeared to become restless and a little more tired than usual. The vet has reccomended a nebulizer for him but has left it down to us to find one! I dont have a clue where to buy one of what kind... i live in northern ireland at the moment. If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am


Are you weighing him daily?

Check this links page Tracis assembled for more info on nebulizers:
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=58

Corney

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am


Thanks.yeh we are weighing him .daily.hes actually gained weight.hes eats very well its just the breathing:-(

grace505

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 pm


So i FINALLY convinced my vet to let me try nebulizing Gentamicin for my boy Turbo!

We tried Chlorampenicol and Turbo had a very bad reaction to it, so we went back to a Bactrim/Doxy combo which we know he did well on, but doesn't cure him, and he's back up to his previous weight again.

Lana had put the Gentamicin dose at 40mg/ml but i've read on multiple threads here about 100mg/ml. That's quite a difference and i'd like to make sure which is the right dose for nebulizing.

How long should i consider nebulizing before i decide it's not going to work? The vet is really worried about how toxic the Gentamicin is and we had talked about a range from one to four weeks, but neither of us really knows how long we should go if the symptoms aren't going away right away.

Also, at some point should i add something oral in, like Doxy, or should i be doing that from the start? If doing a combo, what dose of each the Gentamicin and Doxy should i give?

This is unknown territory for both my vet and me, so we both appreciate all help!

grace505

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:29 pm


Just to double-check, the dose on the Gentamicin that i am understanding is correct would be the 40mg/ml strength, 1ml of Gentamicin combined with 3ml of saline. Run nebulizer, turning off and on after building up a good steam, making the treatment last 30 minutes, twice a day. Is all of that correct?

Also, i thought i had read about combining the Gentamicin with Doxy but am having trouble finding that material again. The Bactrim was also indicated on the lab report and i have that as well.

Turbo weighs about 1250 grams right now.

Post Reply
211 posts