ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

Lana

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 pm


Well, today's the 12th. Did the test results come in? What bacterias are present with your pig?

grace505

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 am


So i got the results. It came back as Alpha Hemolytic Streptococci. It also identified yeast, but does not identify sensitivities for it. Came back sensitive to:

Amikacin
Claforan
Naxcel
Chloramphenicol
Doxycycline
Gentamicin
Penicillin
TMP-Sulfa

Intermediate sensitivity to:

Enrofloxacin
Marbofloxacin
Orbifloxacin

So based on that i'm assuming oral Doxy and nebulize Amikacin or Gentamicin, is that right? I think i read on a thread of the Amikacin being pricey, but could be rememering wrong.

I also tried to do some research on pricing on the Gentamicin and it seems that there are maybe different strengths sold??? If anyone had the base dosing, eg 10mg/kg, i would appreciate it. I know Lana stated it was 1ml Gentamicin to 3ml saline, but was not sure how much was in that 1ml of Gentamicin. Some examples of what they gave me was 80/2, 80/8, 60/6 and 40/1, with the first number being the Gentamicin and the second being the saline. So i need more info on this end so i can ask better questions on the pharmacist end. Thanks for any and all input!

grace505

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 am


If anyone needs any more info off the culture results page, please let me know, i don't really know everything i'm supposed to look for and can email a scanned copy or whatever. Thanks!

Lana

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 pm


Chloramphenicol - has your pig been on this yet? If not, try this first. Oral, relatively inexpensive... My pigs had a rough time on it and personally, I would never use it again. But others have had no issues with it for their piggies. But you must use probiotics several times a day.

The gentamycin was 40mg per ml.

Lana

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm


TMP-Sulfa - is this bactrim? If so, even better.

edit: just looked it up. Yup, it's Bactrim.

Try this drug first. Inexpensive, and very well tolerated by pigs. And it tastes good.

grace505

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:19 pm


Lana, we used the Bactrim previously at 30mg/kg, does that sound like a good dose to start with? Also, should i be combining it with something? Or maybe start with the Bactrim and see if we need to add anything in later?

Lana

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:23 pm


You used Bactrim and it didn't work... Okay move on to Chloramphenicol. Have you tried this yet?

No point in going back to a drug that did not work. I found this with Piggles' test results. Technically several drugs were indicated, but only one worked with him.

Chloramphenicol doesn't work, then gentamycin it is.

grace505

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm


Well i used Bactrim back near the very beginning, like in March??? or so and i don't think we tried it very long, i don't think we knew how stubborn and resistant this URI was going to be. You don't think it's worth trying at all? I also thought maybe the infection's changed and could be sensitive to different things now???

And no, I haven't tried the Chloramphenicol nor the Gentamicin yet. If i did the Chloramphenicol, do i start at the 50mg/kg listed on the medication page? I know the vet said he doesn't carry it, but may be able to order it.

Lana

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:02 pm


Talk to your vet about the dose. I haven't used this drug in years...

User avatar
Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:55 pm


80/2 and 40/1 are the same thing.

And 80/8 and 60/6 are the same thing (broken down to 10/1).

So it would appear one is a 40/1 solution and the other a 10/1 solution.

natashaheuser

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 am


Hi there

My 3 year old guinea pig is currently being treated for and URI he had now for 2 months already.

His treatment method was like this:

1) He was put on Baytril to combat the infection, but these ABs were not working;
2) X-rays and cultures were taken. X-rays had no findings, but his lap report showed that he had 2 strains of Streptococcus and Mycoplasma (bacteria that causes tuberculosis in humans) bacterial infections.
3) He was then switched onto Doxy. He was better for a week but the Mycoplasma is resistant to the Doxy and then suddenly he had a downfall;
4) We then took him to a 2nd vet. He was then put onto Florfenicol ABs. These ABs so far has completely wiped out his URI, and he is on the road to recovery, thank goodness!

You have to use a nebuliser on your sick piggies if they are battling to breath. This will help to loosen the mucus and makes it easier for them to breathe through their noses. If their noses are stuffy they will end up breathing through their mouths, which is not good as this can cause lung infections.

You have to monitor them every day, weigh them as well. If they are losing weight, you have to force feed them. Also make sure that you give them vitamin c supplement - a quarter of a tablet 3 times a day did wonders for my piggy to get his immune system strong again.

Also, if they are on ABs, you must also make sure that they get in some probiotics.

Something my piggy developed from his URI is bloat (which we treated with Simethicone) and also tooth overgrow as he was not eating (which the vet did end up trimming).

I strongly suggest that you do a culture test first to see what kind of bacterial infections they have. From this you will get an anti-biagram which will list all the ABs and note if they will kill the bacteria or not.

I live in South Africa, and the best ABs that has worked so far was Florfenicol (brand name is Nuflor). I strongly recommend this for URIs that are resistant to Baytril, Bactrim and Chloramphenicol...

Some advice I got from other owners on this forum is that Gentamicin and Tobramycin also works well. We use Bisolvon in the nebuliser when his nose is stuffy, and also F10 (antifungal solution)

I am a specialist in treating guinea pigs URI's now! Feel free to ask me any questions…

natashaheuser

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 am


Thanks to Lana's advice she gave me, my piggy is recovering now!

I would use her advice, she knows what she's talking about!

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 pm


natashaheuser, thank you!

Is there any value in starting right away into a med combo since this has been going on so long already, sort of going in strong and hard? Or is it just smarter to pick one med to start with and see how it goes, and then add another if needed, either orally, like Doxy, or nebulized, like Gentamicin? One of the medications indicated, Doxy, he's been on for a long time, but perhaps dropping the Baytril and combining the Doxy with another indicated med such as Bactrim or Gentamicin would kick it harder, faster. Any thoughts?

Lana

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm


Grace, luv ya, babe, but you're complicating this. If the doxy was working, it would have worked. If the bactrim was the right drug, you wouldn't be in this position. So why would you use it again when it didn't work the first time?

Do the chlorapalm. Alone.

Or do the gentamycin. You can keep the doxy with the gentamycin (I confirmed this with Deb the Rat Lady), but again, it doesn't appear to be working.


I feel like you're asking the same questions over and over again. You have the information. Now you have to make a decision how to proceed.

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 pm


I'm asking because i only used the Bactrim for a couple weeks back in like March, and we switched back to the Baytril, we had NO idea that it was going to be this stubborn.

Nobody carries the Chloramphenicol, i could possibly order it (which to me spells expensive) and so i'm looking at my options. They don't seem to have the oral kind, they have the powder which is mixed for injection, from what i can gather at least. I'm having a hard time getting info on it period. I have no idea if or how this can be mixed and given orally or not.

I CAN get the Gentamicin for a good price, though, but would like to try something a little less toxic first if possible.

I'm just trying to get some feedback here before the vet calls me back so we can have an informed discussion and look at our options reasonably. I'm not trying to be difficult or stupid, i'm just wondering if the Doxy would do better in a different combination with something rated with more sensitivity as opposed to the Baytril, which came in as intermediate. I'm also looking at what drugs i can get and at what price, as funds are running SHORT and i just want to nip this in the bud and be done with it, for my wallet and for my baby boy.

Lana

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:24 pm


If Bactrim was the right drug, it would have worked. Period. Couple of weeks is plenty of time to figure this out. It didn't work. If it is the right drug, you will see a lot of improvement in a few days.

Chlorpalm is a very common drug, so I am surprised you are having difficulty getting it. So use buy a nebulizer and use gentamycin.

grace505

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:32 pm


Okay, thanks.

natashaheuser

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 am


Yes I agree with Lana - try the Chloramphenicol/Gentamycin.

The ABs my pig is on is Florfenicol, which is part of the Chloramphenicol family of drugs. This was the only drug that worked on my pig's URI. There might be slight side effects, but it would be controllable. You don’t want the URI to become completely unmanageable and put your pig's life in danger...

My pig has Streptococcus and Mycoplasma infections, and these ABs worked.

Definitely switch to different ABs (try Gentamycin if you can’t get Chloramphenicol). I live in South Africa where we are still a developing country, and Chloramphenicol is available here. So I think you must try harder!

Unfortunately, if you do take on the responsibility of getting a guinea pig, you have to be prepared to give up some $ for in case they get sick, and also just in general to keep them healthy and in good shape!

You MUST try harder!!!

natashaheuser

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 am


Still give the Doxy to your pig, and then use Gentamycin/ Chloramphenicol in a nebuliser...

grace505

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am


natashaheuser, thank you for your input. I have spent over 1,000 dollars now on my boy, i love him dearly and would like this to be over for both of us!

I'm just waiting for the vet to call back to decide what meds to go with, he'll also have more info about the Chloramphenicol. At least with the culture, we know what meds to focus our efforts on, and that does help a lot. If i have multiple options now, imagine how many med combos there were before! :)

Post Reply
211 posts