Frost's New Hobby: Barbering

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Or you can roll it up into little cigars.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Hadn't thought about that. That could be done.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Ditto on the little cigars and hay will depend on how well he can eat it. He'll let you know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm

They should grow out fine. Sometimes if there is a bad break (further down), it can take a second growing to do it.

teeth_broken.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 08, 2012 2:39 am

Hay is safe. Gently introduce it in the gap on the side between his incisors and his molars. Once back to the molars he should be able to grind it.

Don't force or push. Try using "medium" pieces ... that is, not the softest (he may not understand what you're doing) and not the stalkiest (too easy to injure the inside of his mouth). Somewhere in-between.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue May 08, 2012 2:53 am

We have Kleenmama's bluegrass. When I went to check on them, he was happily eating one strand after another, so he's managing the hay okay. I cut the lettuce into short, thin strips (about 2 inches long and the width of a pencil) and had no handled without any trouble (he still has two incisors that touch).

I feel awful about this. I can't believe the water bottle just...broke. Holy cow.

TWP_2

Post   » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Diana emailed me over lunch with the blood test results for Milo.

We're going to take a fecal pellet in for testing Saturday to look for parasites and to see whether the mineral deficiencies/excesses show up there too.

* White blood cells high
* Rbc low
* Phosphorus low
* Glucose high
* Calcium high
* Potassium low
* Cholesterol low

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 1:32 am

Josephine, help! ;-)

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 2:44 pm

We took in some poop this weekend and come home with antibiotics and probiotics and critical care. Fortunately, Milo is the only pig on the planet that probably likes the Apple Banana flavor.

The vet suggested first doing a fecal check to make sure there aren't any parasites, then doing the antibiotic to see if there is just some sort of low-grade infection.

After that, x-rays and an ultrasound to look for a mass that might be eating up all of the nutrients.

In the meanwhile, Milo likes the antibiotics and is eating and drinking and acting enthusiastic about everything. His teeth have almost completely grown back, which just blows my mind.

I'm off to get baby benedryl for Frost. I think I wrote the dose down wrong, though. I could have sworn the vet said 2 mL, which seems way too much. Maybe it should be 0.2 mL?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Here is Josephine's recommended Benadryl dose.
"Usually, I err on the side of caution and do 1 mg/#, which is about 2 mg/kg. That's every 8 hours."

I hope Milo continues to improve, and that the Benadryl helps Frost.

TWP_2

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 4:50 pm

Here's what I've calculated for a dose:

Josephine's 1 mg/lb dose is 2.2 mg/kg.

Children's Benadryl (Equate generic) is 12.5 mg diphenhydramine in every 5mL solution, or 2.5 mg/mL.

Josephine's dose of 2.2 mg/kg divided by 2.5 mg/mL gives a dose of 0.88 mL/kg.

Frost's mass is 0.846 kg today.

His dose then is 0.846 kg * 0.88 mL/kg = 0.75 mL

TWP_2

Post   » Sun May 13, 2012 7:12 pm

We decided to start at a light dose, 0.5 mL, and go from there.

I gave it to him ten minutes ago. He thought it tasted great. About two minutes ago, he yawned, went over to a cuddle cup, cashewed up, and zonked out.