Stones...Kidney removal in an older pig with heart condition

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 2:44 am

Sorry to chime in so late. I've been following this thread, but I've never had to deal with anything like this in my pigs. Losing a kidney sounds pretty traumatic.

But I have been hand-feeding various pigs since last December, including post-surgery, and what I've learned is that they need a lot more than you may think to keep their weight up. I think the guidelines on the CC package is 3/4 cup of mash a day (12 Tbsp) for a 1 kg pig. That is a lot of mash.

Are you feeding the 10-15 cc every 4 hours through the night, also? If not, and Beppo isn't eating much on his own due to pain then, yes, a stronger pain-killer is definitely in order, and I would increase the frequency of hand-feedings to every few hours during the day, at least. That is how long it takes a pig's stomach to empty. I used to be afraid of forcing too much down a pig's throat at once, until I had to hand-feed a depressed piggy who was otherwise healthy, to keep her from going into stasis from grief. She loved her mash, so 20 cc in one feeding was not unusual.

You can beef up the critical care with raw pumpkin and various fruit/veggie baby foods and even Pedialyte. I have found it helpful to thin the mash down so piggy stays hydrated. Dehydration only makes anorexia worse.

Sending good appetite vibes.

ElvisTCB

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 6:36 am

(Limited typing ability on my temporary busted laptop)

I wonder if a tech appointment for fluids would help? I also agree with watering down the CC a bit.

This vet isn't big on prescribing more than Metacam, to my knowledge.

Is he still on Citra-K? I know that can upset the stomach as well.

Wishing Beppo all the best.

moxiepox

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 10:53 am

Thank you for the replies - I have been feeding around the clock, even in the middle of the night. I've been having to push it during the day though the past couple of days, as I can only come home for lunch, so he's been going 5-6 hrs then.

The vet isn't surprised that he's losing weight b/c it was such a major surgery, but said that as long as he'll take it, give him all the CC I can. He's still eating a little on his own and pooping, so no worries there. I've been syringing water with the CC...0.5cc for each 1cc of CC mash I give him. Do you think he should get more water?

He is still on Citra-K (and 10 other things!) so I'm not surprised if the meds hurt his belly, even taking it with CC. When I left for work this morning, I had him back up to 841g...so we'll see how today goes...

I've been rotating mixing his CC with baby food, pedialyte, and odwalla juice to try to make the taste different to see what he likes best. The pedialyte and warming it a teeny bit this morning seemed to go over well. I will try canned pumpkin, too.

ElvisTCB

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 am

While he sounds on the thinner side, the weight loss you describe doesn't sound drastic. I would focus more on continuing to get down as much CC as you can (I definitely think they prefer it warm, in my experience). You can also try leaving some for him in a dish.

Are his poops normal looking/a good amount of them?

How is his demeanor? Are his eyes bright/alert? Is he grinding his teeth at all?

moxiepox

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Yeah - he definitely prefers it warm. He's never liked it enough to eat it on his own though, but I do leave it out. He's eating more greens on his own today, though he will only eat romaine lettuce still.

His poops are small and a few are a little moister than normal. They look like hamster poop. But he is pooping quite a bit and every once in a while will have a normal looking/shaped one that is about 2/3 the size of normal.

He's moving around the same and eyes as alert as they have been the past couple days. He was grinding his teeth last night, but hasn't been today.

He's really enjoying trying to munch on any paper he can find while I have him on the counter for his syringe feedings. Too bad I can't infuse that with some vitamins ;)

moxiepox

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Well, Beppo is back at the hospital now. When I got home from work he was wheezing, so we rushed him up. They think he either got some critical care or some mucous in his lungs.

I'm so upset...I'm always so careful to only syringe in food when he's chewing and to do it really slowly...I feel like it's all my fault. The good news is that they weren't too worried and before we left him there, he was chowing down on some greens on his own...

<sigh> I just feel like the worst piggy mom right now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 pm

No, you care, you try your best! There are MANY MANY worse piggy moms!

moxiepox

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 am

I just want my little guy to be better. I hope we can bring him home tomorrow. His brother misses him dearly (he's sleeping next to me on the couch right now:))

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 am

Hopefully they are giving him some lasix?

moxiepox

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 am

Yes, he's on Lasix & Enacard for his heart condition

ElvisTCB

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:32 am

You are an awesome piggy mom, & don't let your head tell you otherwise!

In my experience, paper chewing is usually a sign of pain, so probably a good thing for Dr. Horton to re-access how he's doing. Hopefully she can make him more comfortable so he can be back home in no time.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:50 am

Yes, do not be too hard on yourself. Your baby has lost one half of a major organ. That is no small recovery/adjustment for anybody to make, let alone a little piggy body.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with hand-feeding/watering/monitoring Beppo's recovery. Keep up the good work, I say, and don't lose heart.

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon.