Stones...Kidney removal in an older pig with heart condition

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:20 pm

I still need to do a proper GLX page for her and update the chronicle.

My work / life balance has been out of whack and GL suffered as a result. ;·)

moxiepox

Post   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 am

Webs, thanks forsharing information on Tiggy's recovery, it's helpful to know it took a long time for her to get back to "normal".

Beppos check up went well...x-ray showed no new stones formations, his internals look and sound good. He's stopping the antibiotics, but still has a lot of gas, so will stay on the gut motility meds for at least another 2 weeks (his next deck up)

He also went back with his cage mate last night and can stay with him as long as they don't get too rambunctious. I did notice this morning though that there is no evidence he left his pigloo all night :-/

Oh, ans he has lost more weight, so still syringe feeding like mad...but he's starting to eat more greens on his own, so hopefully he'll start gaining soon

moxiepox

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 am

Hey everyone - have a new (and POSITIVE) question for you all :)

Beppo took a major turn over the weekend...I think being back with his brother helped, he's sooo good now. He is active, talking again, and wheeking when I come in the room and for food. It's great...he's even eating pellets again, which he hasn't since February when I first noticed something wrong!

So question is, he's a little vacuum right now! As long as it's fresh greens, he'll eat anything and everything I put down for him. During his recovery, how much is "too much"? Obviously we want him to eat well, get stronger, and put on weight (he's down to like 1/2 his regular body weight :() and he's eating hay and some pellets and still getting Critical Care.

Just not sure if there's a limit on greens I should stop him at or if it's ok to give him as much as he'll eat...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:55 am

I wouldn't give him as much as he will eat. Use your best judgment.

I haven't read your entire thread so I'm in a poor position to give advice. However, in general while you want them to have plenty of greens, too many can lead to soft stool and even stasis.

Since I've only read this page ... that's wonderful that he is now doing well!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Just bumping up for an update on Beppo...?

ElvisTCB

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Hopefully the OP will give us an update herself. I did hear from her the other day, though, & imagine she would've said something if things weren't status quo with Beppo.

moxiepox

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey all! Sorry for not updating sooner...i'm in the midst of switching jobs in addition to taking care of Beppo and all of the other craziness that goes on during the summer.

He's doing well, at his last recheck about a week and a half ago he was taken off the stomach mobility meds. So now he's just on Lasix & Enacard (for heart, he'll be on these for life), Cytra-K for stones, Gas-X & Cholestyramine (since he's still pretty gassy), and Metacam.

His arthritis has gotten worse and he had some pretty nasty hock sores forming, so he's getting his feet swabbed every day (can't remember the name of the solution) and we're applying avi-soother multiple times a day.

But overall, his appetite is back to normal, he's taking his meds on his own (which he's NEVER done), and is bright and talkative again :) His next recheck was scheduled for 1 month, so mid-late July

moxiepox

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:18 pm

It's with a very heavy heart and lots of tears that I write that my beloved, handsome, sweet little old man passed away. For months, we fought a heart condition, kidney stones, kidney removal, and gas issues together.

He passed away very quickly last night, only a couple of hours after eating dinner and getting his nightly meds. I think it was his heart. He was surrounded by his family - his brother, Speed, my husband, and me. It's still hard to believe that he's gone. We miss him so much :(

Speed and Beppo were adopted from Critter Corral in December of 2009 (named Hershey and Skittles [Beppo]). His brother Speed understands what has happened and has been very mellow all day. He is still in great health (the boys are 5-6 years old), but we are keeping a special eye on him now and giving him lots of extra love.

RIP sweet Beppo...we love you!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Beppo's passing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 pm

I am so sorry you lost him, moxiepox. It sounds like he was much loved. You have all our sympathy.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 am

So sorry to hear you lost Beppo so quickly.

Lana

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:23 am

I am so sorry...