Stones...Kidney removal in an older pig with heart condition

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 am

Do let us know how he gets on, wishing him a very quick recovery.

moxiepox

Post   » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello, everyone. Beppo's surgery is tomorrow morning. Please wish us luck and send him healing thoughts.

I'll update as I learn more

ElvisTCB

Post   » Thu May 24, 2012 7:52 am

Around five minutes away from where Beppo will be having his surgery, & have both you & him in my thoughts. May his surgery go smoothly, & may he have a speedy recovery.

moxiepox

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks, ElvisTCB. Beppo's kidney was successfully removed and he rested at the vet until this morning, when we were finally able to bring him home.

This morning, he was released because he had pooped overnight and eaten a little bit on his own - we picked him up around 10:30am. As of right now, he still hasn't eaten or pooped for me and when I try to syringe feed him, he tries to spit his critical care out :(

Any ideas? I've tried a million and one different vegetables and fruits, including all of his favorites, but he wants none of it :(

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 8:25 pm

What medications is he taking? He may be in too much pain to eat, but you do need to force him. The first couple of days after major surgery can be difficult for cavies.

moxiepox

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 8:59 pm

He's on Metacam for pain. He's also on Reglan, Cisipride, Probi, Enro, Enacard, Lasix, Cytra-K, Cholestyramine, and Gas-X

I'm the only one who seems worried - they thought his behavior was normal...so I'm probably just worrying too much. Beppo and his brother, Speed are our first pigs, so I just don't really know what to expect.

moxiepox

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Well, he just pooped 4 little poops. Still not eating anything on his own, but at least something is passing through him...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Is he showing signs of pain? Your hand feeding is so important if he is not eating - it will give a little time for things to settle down and help him recover.

moxiepox

Post   » Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I think he is.... Not eating, not moving... The vet recommended syringe feeding twice a day 10-15cc but I've been trying 6-7cc every 4 hours sine he isn't eating anything else. I'm going to start weighing before and after to see how much is getting in and how much he's spitting out. I've tried mixing with Odwalla juice and pedialyte but he didn't like either. Going to try mixing with a little carrot baby food next...he's never been a fan of critical care, but will usually go for it when mixed with the Odwalla...

ElvisTCB

Post   » Sun May 27, 2012 2:33 am

Glad to hear Beppo came through surgery, but he desperately needs you feeding him to have the strength to pull through recovery. I'm not a big fan of Exotic's feeding instructions, & think your plan is better.

Have you looked over the hand feeding page?
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#techniques

I'm not sure what size syringe you're using, but it's a lot easier to manipulate a pig into eating with a 1cc syringe (with the tip cut off).

Critical Care is best to feed. Every pig is different, but I've had luck mixing in some canned pumpkin. Another of mine enjoyed it mixed with (unsweetened) cranberry juice. And while you don't want it too runny, make sure it has a smooth consistency. When my Creole was ill, he improved significantly once I started making it moister.

Are you offering him any water? Creole was my only experience with Cholestyramine, but he was absolutely GAGA for the stuff! I mixed it with water, & syringed it to him in between bites of Critical Care.

Make sure you aren't giving the Metacam, Enro or Enacard on an empty stomach, since they can all cause stomach upset/affect the appetite.

Sending Beppo healing vibes, & keep us posted!

moxiepox

Post   » Sun May 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for the tips, Elvis...this morning Beppo took a piece of red bell pepper from me and moved it around. Looked like he was interested in eating it, but never did. I'll try mixing his cholestyramine in water, I've always mixed it in CC. When Beppo was well(er) that is the only time he would eat the CC on his own

I did read the hand feeding page and got some tips from there...I did find that the 1cc syringes work a lot better than the 10cc syringe I was using before his surgery.

He's moving around a teeny bit more today and not squinting his eyes so much, so I hope that means he's starting to feel a little better.

ElvisTCB

Post   » Sun May 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Sounds positive. Less eye squinting is always a good thing.

Has he been uninterested in the CC mixed with Cholestyramine since surgery? The only reason I mixed it with water instead was so I didn't have to worry about getting in all the CC. Turned out to be a plus, since it got him to drink more (so I started mixing it with even more water).