Sick Pig :'( Please reply

Sarahpiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm

I have just signed up to this forum, so hi everyone.

My pig Pixie is sick, and she has just gone downhill in the last couple of hours - I'm very worried for her so please help me...

Last Monday we took her to the vet because she had a cut on her lip that went inside her mouth and looked infected. I thought the vets was a good one but now I fear it was a horrible mistake to ever go there. He injected her with Convenia which I've read is very bad for piggies :( Two days later she was off her food except hay, I fed her some recovery stuff we had. The next day, Thursday, she was still the same so we went to the local vets - told them about the antibiotic and they said she could be having a reaction. Vet said her teeth looked fine and weighed her (she hadn't lost any) and felt her and said she didn't feel too bloated or anything. Cut looked to be healing well now so antibiotic did its job there, but apparently it is designed to stay in the animals (usually cats) body for 2 weeks. She was given a shot of metacam I think and something else (didn't catch the name but began with M) to get her gut moving. Got critical care and have been syringe feeding her that. Went to vets again yesterday and she was given the same shots. This morning she looked to be better, still eating hay and moving around more and even had some lettuce. But now she is hunched up in the cage and won't eat hay anymore! She is pooping, but they are quite large (they were small before) and misshapen. She seems to struggle pushing them out but doesn't make any noise.

I don't know whether to give her some pureed veg or something because all the CC might be makng her constipated? Is it possible to feed too much CC at once? Have given her "poop soup" from Sprite today and have been massaging her tummy. Is there anything else I can do to help my poor piggie? Its heartbreaking to see her not even eating hay anymore :( Vet website says emergencies Sunday morning and afternoon so I think I can take her?

Please please anyone get back to me xxx

Sarahpiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Oh she is 2 years old! :(

Sarahpiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Just noticed she has diarrhea! :(

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Stop all veggies if she has diarrea but keep giving her the Critical Care. Try and get between 40 - 60 ml per day into her.

I'm not familiar with Covenia as an antibiotic. Everyone here seems to use either Bactrim or Baytril. Sorry, I'm not good at links but if you go to the top of this page to the Medical Guide and look up antibiotics, print the information out and take it to the vet who's open, you can discuss the drug that has been given and try to get the approved drugs.

Good luck!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:05 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Convenia has penicillin among other antibiotics which are very bad for guinea pigs.

I wouldn't give any antibiotics until after you get this situation under control.

Here's info on diarrhea:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html
And antibiotic advice:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

Lana

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:28 pm

I agree with the other advice. Continue to feed her and be sure she gets water and doesn't become dehydrated. She also needs probiotics to help her gut flora get reestablished.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Pfizer FAQ page about Convenia:

http://www.pfizeranimalhealth.co.nz/sit ... ochure.pdf
What are the Contraindications and Warnings for CONVENIA?

CONTRAINDICATIONS: CONVENIA should not be used in: Cases of hypersensitivity to cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotics. Small herbivores (including guinea pigs and rabbits).
A good thing to know for future reference.

Lana

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Please notify the first vet that the antibiotic he used is toxic for pigs and the manufacturer specifically states it is not to be used in guinea pigs.

Secondly, you're going to have / already have a really sick pig on your hands... Keep up the hand feeding. You must get probiotics and mix that with the critical care, and ensure he gets plenty of it.

The injection the first vet gave probably knocked out your pig's flora. Not good. So you have to be very aggressive and proactive in getting it reestablished.

Sarahpiggies

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Thank you everyone for your words and advice. I have tried everything but we both know the time has come, I am just trying to make her as comfortable as possible. I can't help but blame myself for the past weeks events... and I am utterly heartbroken to think she has to leave so early in life :'(

I will be informing the vet that the antibiotic he injected is lethal. I just wish I had known/asked what he was putting in my poor baby :(

Sweet dreams Pixie <3

Lana

Post   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Do not give up on her. Her time has not come. She's probably having a reaction to the antibiotic, but continue to hand feed her Critical Care. Make sure she is getting water separately to ensure she stays properly hydrated. Pull out all stops now to get her through this. Get the probiotics and give her that too. This is very important.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:25 am

Please read this and follow the advice:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html#antibiotic

Please try to save her!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 am

Ditto the advice you have received. Hang in and carry on with aggressive hand feeding, hydration and pushing probiotic.

The fact that the toxic AB was injected may save her. Injected AB's do not directly travel through the GI. You may still be able to save her, keep going and don't give up just yet!