Jack fell and now drags his back legs

BamBam

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Three days in and of course we want to see a miraculous recovery so to not do so can lead to a feeling of despondency. But...

Jack is soldiering on. We have concluded that he gets, bored, lonely and a bit depressed. So today he's had a good "run" round and... Elsie has been allowed to keep him company. She has been so, so gentle and sweet with him and her company brought a little sonar wheeking from Jack as well as an increase in his appetite.

This, we think is key because he is not eating enough and we have to reverse that trend.

He is looking very stiff and Hilary is thefore getting her magic touch on the job with some extra massage.

I am so grateful for Hilary's time, care and knowledge in giving Jack the support he needs at this hugely challenging time.

BamBam

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 am

The good news:

Jack is eating a little better, his poops are improving slightly and the increased water intake has resulted in better fluid output.

The bad news:

He continues to lose weight and is clearly therefore not taking enough on board.

We are going to review things over the week-end for him.

clairey

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am

Come on, Jack! We're all rooting for you.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:55 am

Thank you for your kind words, BamBam. Sadly, I fear my magic touch is failing.

I was hopeful Jack was turning the corner yesterday, as he seemed brighter and was eating of his own volition. His poops were returning to a more normal size and consistency and he produced a good amount of urine.

Today, he is not eating much at all. He has had a little cucumber and maybe one sprig of coriander. I am getting as much critical care as I can, into him, but I fear it is not enough..

Please all send your healing thoughts and prayers for this sweet little chap. I can't see to type any more.

adea

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am

Thank you Hilary and BamBam for all the work you are putting in with Jack.
We cannot express our gratitude enough for what you are doing for him for us as we are unable to care for him.
We will keep thinking positive thoughts and fingers crossed that he makes progress.

From the bottom of our hearts our profund thanks.
From Jack's human parents.
x

clairey

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 pm

How is Jack doing?

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:26 am

Hi clairey. Thank you for your continued interest in Jack. I'm posting this whilst BamBam is otherwise occupied with Puds!

Despite my last downbeat posting, Jack is miraculously holding his own! Last Friday, we had decided we would give him over the weekend to see how he did, before making any decisions. However, I was working the weekend, and BamBam was away, so although he would get fed before and after I was at work, it wasn't an ideal situation. BamBam remembered a rodentologist we know and thought she may be able to look after him for us. At least that way he would be fed and cared for as he deserves.

He is currently still there, as the situation this weekend is the same as last. I haven't spoken to her, but BamBam has, and as of Monday, he was showing some signs of improvement, and she feels, given his age, the outlook is hopeful. He is showing interest in his surroundings and food, although I believe she is still syringe feeding him. She is looking for some means of correcting the position of his back legs, which are in a very abnormal position. I had been doing some passive stretching to keep the joints moving, but something more permanent is needed.

BamBam and I are hoping to go over to see him on Monday, and then to come up with a plan for his long term care. He is such a sweet little fellow, and deserves a chance.

Thank you all for your healing thoughts, looks like they are working!

clairey

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 am

He's a fighter, that's for sure! Glad to hear he's holding on in there.

Breadfan4

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 am

So glad to hear he is doing as well as he is. Keeping my fingers crossed for him!

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi Guys, I promised I would update Jack's thread. He has stayed with the rodentologist he went to, for the last week or so, and BamBam and I have just been to see him, to try and formulate a long term plan for his care.

I'm delighted to be able to say that Jack is looking very much better. He is being syringe fed only once a day now, and has clearly gained weight, his coat is shiny, and he is bright and alert, interacting with his surroundings. BamBam and I are going to have "joint custody" of him, and he has gone home with her for a short time, to meet her gang.

I had started doing some passive exercises, to try and keep his joints moving, and these have been continued. He now has a better range of movement, although it is not back to normal yet. The great news is that he is starting to have some spontaneous movements of his back legs and he is holding them in a much more normal position. We are going to have to develop some kind of "Roxy Roller" to aid his mobility, and hopefully, his recovery.

The plan is that he will continue to have regular stretching of his joints and have daily hydrotherapy. We will be giving him regular (daily) pain relief, to aid these exercises, and to keep him comfortable, since his joints are still bound to be sore. We will stop his steroids.

He is such a delightfu little chap, and clearly full of spirit, so we are thrilled to be able to have helped his recovery. Maybe he is our Christmas miracle.

Crazy4me

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:32 pm

That is great news; yes I believe he is a Christmas miracle and I hope he continues to improve. He is getting such good care from you both, good job!!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 pm

So glad to read the positive update and best wishes for his continued recovery. He's such a fortunate pig.