Jack fell and now drags his back legs

adea

Post   » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Thank you very much Hilary and BamBam for your progress updates about Jack. I am glad to read he is getting on so well with you both and all your pigs.
Would it be possible to have some pictures of him please?

BamBam

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:11 am

A bit blurry.

BamBam

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:17 am

And the basis for his new "wheels".

BamBam

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 am

I am not posting any more pictures until I have worked out, once and for all why I cannot get them the right size. Grrr!!!

adea

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 am

Thank you BamBam. He loooks happy with the others.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2017

Post   » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 am

BamBam, the pictures look fine to me. So glad Jack is improving and that he has some buddies.

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Awww, what a warm, fuzzy story, and just in time for Christmas!

BamBam

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:26 am

Christmas with the extended Bambam family has been of great excitement to Jack.

He is booked in for an x-ray on that right hip next Thursday so please, everyone keep your fingers crossed all is well and we can continue with his rehab program.

lilbitorange

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 am

Adorable! Are you sure he's not Max's long lost brother with that orange stripe? :)

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Well now, there's a thought...... Even if he is, he's staying here!! Bam Bam and I have custody of this precious fellow, although you're free to visit any time!

Jack is having a break here at the Holmes Health Spa. And gradually being introduced to my herd as well. He is moving better than previously, especially with his left hind leg. The right leg is still not moving as well, and is still held in a very abormal position, almost as if the hip is dislocated. We're going for an Xray in the morning, to try and determine whether some damage has occurred to that hip. Hoping and praying not, for fear the vets may be difficult about keeping a partially paralysed pig alive. Our view is that he is improving, eating and drinking, pooping and peeing and so should be given a chance, espicially given how much he has improved in a relatively short space of time.

Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow. I'll give an update when there is some news.

Crazy4me

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Postive thoughts and prayers sent; we are hoping for good news!

adea

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

How did the x-ray go? Any news?

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 am

Hi. I'm really pleased to see you are still taking an interest in Jack. These little fellows make a guinea pig shaped hole in your heart, don't they? I'm sorry, I was aware I hadn't updated Jack's thread. I'm having to run to keep up with myself!

The good news is that Jack's hips appear perfectly normal and symmetrical. In addition, there appeared to be no injury to his spine, which confirms the findings of the Xrays taken at the Cambridge Cavy Trust, after he left you. However, the vet did say that even under anaesthetic, she was unable to fully straighten his right hind leg, and on the Xrays, there appeared to be an "opacity in the soft tissues", which could indicate there had been damage to that area. (You said that originally he was still moving one leg when you picked him up, so it could be that hip was injured at the time, and not his back). The vet said it is unlikely he will ever regain normal movement of that leg, but also, and reassuringly for BamBam and myself, she said he appears a happy pig, who is clearly eating and drinking well, his coat is lovely and glossy, and he seems very friendly. She said as far as she is concerned, "there are no welfare issues".

So, the plan is that we will continue doing what we have been doing, with hydrotherapy, physio and encouraging him to interact with our other pigs, which I'm sure is aiding his recovery. He is starting to move his left hind leg more, and at times, is using it to push himself around. He spent some time flirting with my girls yesterday, and helped them devour a huge pile of hay!

Thank you for having trust in us, and for having the sense to post on here, rather than go straight to the vet, who would inevitably not given him the chance he deserves.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:04 am

Talk about a team effort. You guys totally rock.

clairey

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 am

Go on, Jack! I'm sure the company of all the other pigs helps him no end. And yes, you guys definitely rock.

BamBam

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:37 am

One other thing. I updated Vedra the other day and she was really pleased to hear he was progressing.

She revealed to me (something that she had not done previously) that the vet she uses and who saw Jack and reviewed his x-rays wanted him put down on the basis that he would never regain any use in his hind legs.

I have said that I would let her have some video of him so show the vet!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 am

Ha! :-) ("So there, vet.")

Please thank the rodentologist who helped formulate a plan of care for him, too, from all of us. Sounds like s/he did a first-class job while s/he had him.

Jessie
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:58 am

I hope we get to see the video too BamBam.

It sounds like Jack is a little fighter. We're all willing him to keep going.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:54 am

How encouraging!

BamBam, would you like me to add your photos permanently to this thread?

Crazy4me

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:12 am

Wonderful news, Jack certainly is fighter and it helps that he has the oppertunity to do just that instead of being PTS.

135 posts