Petunia's Medical Thread

Macylu

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Petunia is 3 years, 8 months old, a female American pig. I took her to the vet because she is exhibting signs of ovarian cysts. I have noticed thinning hair on her sides, a bit more aggression towards her cage mates, crusty nipples, and though she has maintained her weght, her tummy seems a bit rounder, hips a bit bonier. I took her to see Dr. Carla Christman in Madison WI who felt that it was almost certainly cysts and felt we should do a spay. I have her scheduled in a little over a week, but I feel nervous as I know this is a big deal. She mentioned hormone therapy, but as Tunie is relatively young and in good health, she felt a permanent fix would be better. Also, could she be in pain because of this? She is acting normal as far as I can tell otherwise - eating, drinking, pooping normally. She gets KMS timothy pellets, 2nd and 3rd cut timothy hay, veggies twice a day. Thanks for any advice, I want her to be happy and healthy and hopefully with us for a long time!

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Macylu may I ask approximatly how much was the vet bill for the exam. The reason why I ask is I am trying to compare prices to see if one vet is a little cheaper then the other.

I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Christman, I am sure your Peunia will be in good hands.

Macylu

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

The visit was $49.75. The quote for the spay was $175. I think that seems reasonable, though I have not ever dealt with this before thankfully.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 pm

A permanent fix would indeed be better. It is unlikely she is in pain (see signs of pain here: www.guinealynx.info/.html ).

Do read www.guinealynx.info/.html and www.guinealynx.info/.html

Those prices are VERY reasonable. VERY.

Crazy4me

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Wow that is really reasonable, I think for my next wellness check I shall go to Dr. Christman. Being that she is young and healthy otherwise, surgery would be the route to go if it were me; I am sure it will be nerve-racking but with a good vet like you have the chances are even greater that things will go well.

Macylu

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Thank you for your input, I appreciate the positive comments! Now I just need to get the supplies together to make sure I can properly care for her when she gets home. I'll look over those threads and make a list. I feel better about things when I am well organized and prepared. There may be more questions as the date gets closer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Do make sure you have some pain medication for her. It will make a great deal of difference. www.guinealynx.info/.html

Macylu

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Yes, how many days worth of pain meds should I expect to get?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm

I'd say 4 or 5 days at a minimum. Maybe enough for a week though you might not need it all. See www.guinealynx.info/.html If you use an opiate, it would be for less time not so much that it knocks your guinea pig out. Just controls the pain. Talishan has good advice on the use of pain control (hopefully she will read this).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:25 am

Currently, she's probably not in any pain. A little edgy and nervous, maybe (does that ever happen to you right before your period?), but that's about all.

A spay is very invasive surgery. You have an excellent and experienced vet; that, and an otherwise healthy pig, are your best chances for a good outcome.

Be thoroughly prepared for some very intensive aftercare. Arrange to take a couple of days off work right after surgery if you can manage it.

Petunia will likely come home from the vet chipper, bright, and eating. This is good. This will not stay that way. She may very well go straight downhill after that, and scare you halfway to death.

Somewhere between about 24 and 60 hours postop they hit bottom, then begin to do better.

Be prepared to:

1. Forcefeed. Read the handfeeding links carefully, get some Critical Care in now, and make about 3 or 4 1cc syringes with the tips cut off **now**.

2. Have every med on hand you can think of. a. Reglan (metoclopramide) is a must!! It's a mild motility agent and you will probably want to give it to her **even if she is defecating**, because what she's defecating is what was in her preop. Then the pipeline will be empty! b. 4 or 5 day's worth of a narcotic: buprenorphine, perhaps Tramadol, perhaps butorphanol, depends on what the vet prefers. c. An NSAID, probably Metacam, possibly Rimadyl (depends on what the vet prefers).

You want to use the NSAID from the get-go to reduce swelling and inflammation as much as possible as soon as possible. You want to use the narcotic as little as possible, BUT AS MUCH AS YOU NEED TO KEEP HER COMFORTABLE!!

Consider asking the vet for a children's steroid (Pediapred, prednisolone) to have on hand. You CANNOT use this along with an NSAID, but you can use it INSTEAD of one at the beginning. Steroids are powerful anti-inflammatories and painkillers. She may need it at the start.

Then, as she improves, stop the steroid (if you needed it); ramp down the narcotic and ramp up the NSAID. Then, as she further improves, ramp down the NSAID.

You will likely be given a pre-emptive antibiotic. Try to get Bactrim. If they insist on Baytril, be sure you have probiotics as well to give her.

She probably won't want to drink. Get some unflavored Pedialyte and ask the vet for a 6 or 10cc oral syringe. Be prepared to offer this to her (don't force it like the food). Most pigs like it and will readily hydrate with it.

That's all I can think of offhand. Let us know how she's doing and any specific problems you encounter.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 am

Then again, with any luck Petunia will heal as smoothly as this piggie.

Your actual experience will probably be somewhere in-between. Meg was highly unusual.

Macylu

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 am

That is my biggest fear, that she will come through the surgery great and then I'll do something wrong post op and will lose her that way. I only work part time, 2 hours over lunch during the week, so I am home a lot, but I also have 3 kids. However, I have a VERY supportive husband with a flexible schedule so hopefully he can help pick up my slack that week while I hang out more with the pigs.

Thanks Talishan for all that great info, I plan to call the vet next week and ask some questions so I'll know a little more what to expect before we arrive.