Very soft stools in rescue pig

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I believe she has looked at it under microscope. I meant to talk to her today when I had Eliot in but we got distracted with El. She was a spunky little boo today.

Anyway, I stopped the Flagyl and poops are noticeable better today. Better than the large gloppy mess they were this past week anyway still not normal by any means. I will continue with Bio sponge and benebac.

Also she has a neighbor now and that makes her happy. Dr. A said a neighbor would be fine but she still didn't want any other pigs walking in her poop. Yes, it smells but not as bad as it used to.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 pm

So, we are still having issues with Jonie and her poop. Bactrim has not helped. Flagyl has not helped. Probiotics have not helped. BioSponge has not helped. In fact, even doing nothing doesn't help.

I heard an interesting thing about diatamacious earth and clearing up diarhea in dogs. Lightbulbs started going off in my head and I wonder if it's safe to give to guinea pigs. It comes in a powder form so I would probably just sprinkle a bit on her veggies.

Thoughts?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 pm

I actually don't like the idea of diatomacious earth. Microscopically, it is sharp particles. I am discouraged that BioSponge hasn't helped. Have you tried food elimination?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 pm

I am cutting down on veggies but she really doesn't eat that much variety. She will only eat certain things. I'm also waiting for an order of 2nd cut hay to come in. It seems she had better poops when on that as opposed to bluegrass or 3rd cut. But I ran out.

wenton5

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:32 pm

I would also cut way down on the veggies. I would put the hay in a blender and mix it with the critical care and syringe it. What color is the poop and does it have an odor? How is her weight? Has she had an xray or ultrasound? Has the feces been checked under a microscope?
:) L

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Her poop has been microscoped, she has been xray'd, ultrasounded...the works. Poop is normal color. Sometimes it's stinky and sometimes not.

I don't know why putting hay in a blender will help. She eats a ton of it and pellets too. Her weight is not an issue.

We are going back on Monday for more acupuncture. That is more for her cysts than anything else tho. We will recheck her poop at that time. To date, no parasites or bacteria has been found.

shiny
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:42 pm

When you say the poo has been looked at under the microscope, is this just a smear or a proper faecal egg count (FEC) test? A full FEC would pick up most sorts of worms etc but I would expect weight loss if she had a big build up of intestinal parasites & you say weight is ok.

I hope you get some answers on this, sounds very puzzling.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 am

Good question. Probably just a smear. I will ask on Monday.

wenton5

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Another option is to have the cysts drained. I know they usually grow back but it could help in ruling out whether the cysts are affecting her organ functions.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am

Today at the vet she gave a nice big stinky poop sample. They found parasites preent this time. She is now on Albon and Panacur. I can't find anything saying these are unsafe.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm

ah, great to finally know what the problem is! :) L

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Holding good thoughts and fingers crossed the drugs work and it goes away forever!

couchon

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 am

Is it possibly bloat? Does she ever squeak/strain when passing poo? Straining and soft poo is how it started with my girl. Feel free to take a look at my thread: "How much to hand feed?" for the full story.

33 posts