Sagan's Medical Thread

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Awww what struggles! Glad you are there for him and helping every step of the way.

Is he still peeing some blood out?

milosmumma

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi all-
Sorry for the lack of updates. Sagan stopped peeing blood within 10 days of starting the antibiotic and it hasn't returned (knock on wood). He has been doing AWESOME! He has many more good days than bad, and his appetite is back consistently. The only downside is the diuretic causes him to not be able to gain weight so he is very thin.

I am writing to you guys today to ask for positive thoughts and prayers for Sagan. We have been delaying going to the vet for the updated xray because I'm afraid of what we may or may not see. We are going this afternoon. It has been 3 months and a day since we found out about his stones. We will update when we know more. Thanks.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 pm

I'll be thinking of Sagan.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Sending good vibes for Sagan.

milosmumma

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm sad to say the xray shows what we were afraid of. Unfortunately the herbal powder hasn't shrunk the stones or prevented the formation of new stones. He still has his two stones, and they have grown in size. An additional small stone has passed from his kidney into his ureter and joined one of the old ones. He has one very small stone in each kidney as well. We are trying to stay positive because maybe the powder did prevent more stones from forming. Maybe if we hadn't used it, there would be many stones. It has been 3 months, and it could be a lot worse. His behavior is still great so we aren't changing anything other than the calcium in his diet. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers as we keep him on the right track. He is such a sweet and special boy, and we are so thankful for every day with him. The vet had a bunch of thank yous displayed on the wall across from the room we were in. I instantly noticed a picture of our Milo (had heart disease and passed in June '11). I felt like that was Milo's way of saying he is with Sagan, watching over him and everything is fine.

Diva

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 pm

So sorry to hear about Sagan. They probably told you about Smores last trip in 2 weeks ago. She is now on the same diuretic as Sagan, but is still passing a fair amount of calcium in her urine. But she was stone-free when she was x-rayed.

She's the other guinea pig on the "Thank you" wall.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 pm

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I don't know of anything that can get rid of stones after they are formed.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm

OH dear! Is he not in terrible pain at all times or he does well even though he has 3 stones in his bladder?

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Tue May 21, 2013 3:25 am

I am sorry to hear of Sagan's situation, too, although it sounds as if you are handling it very well, considering the circumstances.

Best wishes to you and Sagan.

milosmumma

Post   » Tue May 21, 2013 8:28 am

Thank you everyone. Beth, we did hear that you had a stone pig at the moment but not details. Is she on the powder too, or just the diuretic? I hope she's doing well.

Skinnypigs- amazingly, Sagan does not exhibit any pain symptoms whatsoever. When he is not taking the diuretic, he does appear to be in some pain. I guess part of the reasoning for using the diuretic is it prevents sludge in the bladder, so Sagan isn't uncomfortable. He begs, plays, makes noises, loves, eats treats & regular food, etc. We are watching him closely as we know that pain could be a sign that things are not going well anymore.

milosmumma

Post   » Tue May 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I have compiled a list of suggested treatments from other GLers or our vet. If anyone has any others, please add.

Homeopathic anti-inflammatory *muscular pain
Arnica (herb) *pain
Accupuncture*pain
Tramadol *pain (alternative for Metacam, though mixed vet views on using this strong of a med)

Fuzzies Kingdom *force feedings without calcium carbonate http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/rem ... eding.html

Shilintong (herb) *preventing stones
Crystal Stone Formula (herb) *preventing stones, decreasing stone size

Cranberry capsules *prevent UTI
Oxbow supplements *vitamins, bladder wall

Diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) *prevention of sludge, keep urination flowing
Sub Qs *prevention of sludge, keep urination flowing, keep hydrated

Lasix & heart medication *kidney failure
Potassium citrate * mixed research on this...

Limit vitamin D & calcium as much as possible

Diva

Post   » Wed May 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Smores is currently only on the diuretic and Sulfatrim (trimethoprim sulfa). I have thought of getting her Shilintong, but have not yet done so.

I found a reference to a paper on the role of bacteria in stone formation that I am currently trying to track down. I will post more if I find it.