Sagan's Medical Thread

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 am

If the herbal powder is the crystal stone formula, Spin's urine also presented porphirins.

I think it can't hurt to have a sample examined by the vet.

Please keep us posted.

milosmumma

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 am

Thank you both. Yes, it is crystal stone powder. If it is porphirins, what does that mean for treatment?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:44 am

If it is porphirins, what does that mean for treatment
Shouldn't affect anything, other than just the awareness that it changes the urine color.

milosmumma

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Sef--thanks. I was worried it would mean we couldn't use the powder anymore. I know it says you can't use it longer than 4 months, but how long do people typically use it? I have 1 month stuck in my head but I don't remember if one of you told me, or the person we spoke to on the phone from the Chi Institute.

New issue...something blister like on his foot. Is this the start of bumble foot? Urine scald? Do we treat it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 pm

The blister is unusual. Read over www.guinealynx.info/.html It could be some bumblefoot starts this way but people miss it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 am

That does look a little odd. I'm not sure how bumblefoot starts, since I've only seen photos of full-blown redness and inflammation, or in later stages, ulceration. Is it painful to touch? Does it look fluid-filled?

milosmumma

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't think it hurts him and I do think it has fluid. I'm trying to remember how Milo's started....I will have to go back and look at his thread for a photo. I just hesitate to treat it with antibiotics since he's doing so well.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 pm

I wonder if just swabbing it daily with a weak chlorhexidine & water solution for a few days would help? I know chlorhex is very drying, but it worked well when my husband had the start of a foot ulcer (he's diabetic).

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:18 pm

You also can soak it in Epsom salts. It may draw out the inflammation. Just make sure you rinse his foot well afterwards and no salts get in the eyes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 am

Ditto on the no salts in the eyes. Read over the warnings on www.guinealynx.info/.html

milosmumma

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm

So sorry we haven't updated in a while. Sagan is doing wonderfully (knock on wood). He is eating and drinking a great amount and maintaining his weight (which is still a lot lower than his normal weight, but we'll take it). He is running and popcorning and begging. He still cries when he poops, so we know the stones are still there. We mentioned his pee had been discolored...the weird thing is it isn't when it comes out, and only appears dark on UHaul blankets if he pees directly on them. If he pees anywhere else you can't see any different color. Anyway, he continues to have darker pee on the blankets as well. His foot did have a blister, as the blister appeared to pop and now just looks a bit darker. We did not treat it and waited it out. We are monitoring.

Our treatment continues to be 20ccs sub Qs every 48 hours, .1mL HCT daily, and 1tsp of E2100 crystal stone powder. He hasn't needed the tramadol for pain. He has now been on this treatment plan for about 3.5 weeks. We realize the subQs are for the rest of his life, but know the powder cannot be used longer than 4 months. Anyone who has used this, would you actually use it the full 4 months? What happened when you stopped it? Did your pig have liver issues?

We are going to call the company and ask them what they think about the time frame. We will go in to our vet for an x-ray to check stone size and placement at some point, and they are getting back to us on what they hear on VIN regarding the treatment plan and time frame.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Maybe a break of a month and restart? Don't know.

I hope he continues to do well.