Sagan's congestion went away after we stopped force feeding him last. We could hear it when he made his sounds and a few other times...then he sneezed or coughed loudly twice and seems ok now. His eyes are much brighter since being back in his cage.
Since the stones are in both ureters, the vet mentioned being concerned that Sagan wasn't able to urinate. He did twice while we were at the vet--no blood and no signs of pain. How will we know if he has lost the ability to urinate other than separating him from his cage mate? Would he show a clear indication of change in pain level? I know he wouldn't survive long after losing this ability. I just don't want him to be suffering, but want to buy as much time with him as I can.
- I dissent.
From what I've read (and my own experience with Zachary), no. Ureteral stones appear to be fairly aggressive and fast-forming.Is it unusual to have stones in both ureters like this?
As far as inability to urinate...that never became an issue for Zachary, despite having multiple stones in both ureters. The biggest problem was the failure of his kidneys. Towards the latter stages, he had lost a dramatic amount of weight and clearly didn't feel well.
I'm so sorry that you're both dealing with this stuff.
How are you hand-feeding him? I still wonder if he may have aspirated a bit of the CC.
Do we give him something in case it is an infection? No nasal discharge but congested sometimes and has the eye discharge on one side.
So my question for all of you would be, am I crazy for giving him more time? Am I being cruel? I know the ultimate outcome, I just feel like it is giving up to throw in the towel....but I'm petrified of putting him through the pain of being unable to urinate, if he hits that point. We have never had to make this decision and it just sickens us. I have a hard time because he doesn't seem at the point of no return like Milo so often did.
He currently has no UTI...no squealing while going to the bathroom..no blood...moves around fine (but doesn't want to).
Is his abdomen bigger and feeling sort of like a water balloon if you push on it? When my kidney failure pig was failing, he developed ascites (abdominal fluid). Lasix helps to stimulate its removal and, in the case of my pig, also stimulated his appetite.
Still looking to see if I can find anything else to suggest.
Sef- thank you for your thoughts. We are headed in at 3p today (ET) and are hoping the vet will give us a chance to explore options. Our normal vet is definitely out today and not there to consult with, so we are nervous.
I appreciate everyone's efforts to help us figure out our options.
Sagan has maintained his weight since Monday. We will be doing sub Q fluids every day at home and continuing CC. We are not continuing the pain meds as they didn't seem to make a difference. He is not squealing or trembling and doesn't mind when touched in the kidney area or stomach palpated. He is producing a lot of stool and it isn't stringy or small anymore...though not totally normal either. As I mentioned, we are tricking him into eating hay through a syringe. A few minutes ago he actually ate a piece of hay on his own. The vet is having us give him Baytril in case he has the start of an infection (his eyes are still a bit runny). We know the ultimate outcome of Sagan's situation, but we are trying out are options and hoping to have more time with our sweet guy. Thanks everyone...we will continue to update.
dellybean--having an infant and force feeding a pig is definitely a journey! At least we are feeding on a consistent schedule and it keeps us on track with Sagan.
He had a great night and morning. He started eating hay on his own and going to the water bottle. Then we started Baytril and he went back to the way he has been the past few days. We are continuing what we've been doing, and hoping any infection goes away and he can bounce back again once the meds have stopped. We are doing sub Qs at home, but I think we did it incorrectly today because a lot (if not all) leaked out. We will try again tomorrow.
The vet took the time to research and talk with a colleague out of state who has experience with an herbal supplement and is prescribing it/ordering it for us to try. Apparently they have a few other ideas based on experiences with rabbits, so we will see. We are supposed to be in touch with our regular vet on Monday.