Charlie's Medical Thread

emilyam19

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 pm

You can add/use whatever you think is helpful. This isn't the first one like this I've found, though they aren't too common. Usually any clumps I find do look like several clumped together -sometimes the girls' regular poops get clumped in too. He did this in about 20 minutes. It is pretty horrifying (and defeating) to find from something so small.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks! I cropped and compressed them (though you had them pretty well compressed anyway).

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Tonight I had Charlie out for an hour or two trying to get the full dose of Bene-bac in him (I’m also keeping a journal as I work through each product). I gave him a shave around his rear to keep his droppings from getting caked in his fur and to get an idea of how the huge dropping (see above) could have occurred –was it really one dropping or multiple ones mushed together. At first I tried wiping them away because it looks uncomfortable to be sitting there like this and I felt bad for him but he gave me a dirty look when I tried.

Anyway I’m sorry about posting these but I don’t know if anything here will help give more insight. Obviously I know how to spend a Saturday night.

After doing the typical butt lift before a dropping, Charlie just had this one “hanging” there for a while.

It looks like they just build up one after another.

He did end up eating the last one. These all look like the same consistency as the big one but you can clearly see they are different droppings.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 am

Not rereading but have you had a fecal done?

emilyam19

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:37 pm

I had one fecal test done, "Intestinal parasites with giardiasis ELIS July 13; Result: Negative."

I'm not entirely sure what it means or if there's another test I should try.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:47 pm

I do believe giardia is one of those problems that you can get a positive diagnosis but not a negative one because signs are not always present in the poops (correct me if I'm wrong, any of you more knowledgeable people!).

emilyam19

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I think I read the same thing as well. I wasn't sure how likely it was to pass it between herd members (I couldn't find any info on that). I would imagine someone else would show symptoms though considering how everyone is in such close contact with his droppings (poop shoes, on the food dishes, etc.). I try my best to keep everyone's feet clean but they still end up stepping in droppings and cleaning off their toes (and likely ingesting some of it).

I don't have enough understanding about fecal tests to know if the one given covers just one kind of intestinal parasite or if I would need more to rule those out.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:03 pm

did you get a full fecal smear? A lot of parasites can sneak through the average test.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Gosh, sorry, you are feeding timothy pellets yes? I would cut out the celery tomatoe, green beans and red/green leaf lettuce. I would switch my carrot to normal carrots and cut them in quarters. I would also cut out the multi vitamin. Be sure if you are using a probiotic that it does not have dairy in it. There is also fibreplex but it sounds like he may have some inflammation. Did you get an xray? If it was me, I would just to rule out anything else. :) L

emilyam19

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Yes on the timothy pellets. I can play around with his veggies once I finish trying the Bene-bac (it's been tough to get him to eat the whole dose, today I had to try a few different things). I don't think I can get the powder to stick to carrots very well.

He hasn't had a multi-vitamin but I did pick them up in case someone suggested I cut out all pellets/veggies (it's the Oxbow brand). The probiotic I'm trying now is Bene-Bac and (I could easily be wrong if it's some obscure thing) I don't think there are any diary products in it. I started it June 27.

I've been thinking an x-ray wouldn't be a bad idea too. I was going to make a list of a few things I wanted to do at the vet once I finish trying out the suggested products.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Please keep us posted! :) xo L

emilyam19

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 pm

I definitely will. I'm keeping a log as I work through the suggestions and get feed back from the vet at the end. I'll post anything relevant in case someone else finds it helpful.