Charlie's Medical Thread

emilyam19

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Since I've been getting some good suggestions, I want to make an appointment for Charlie to see the vet. He really hates to be handled and gets stressed over trips to the vet, so I want to try to cover everything in one visit. I want to get another fecal test done and an x-ray. Can anyone think of anything else (are there other tests for parasites?) I should cover? Is there something a gram stain or a culture might show that could be missed by the test I got in the past?

wenton5

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:09 am

Food for thought, full fecal smear, full body xray. If you really wanted to get extensive add urine and ultrasound, but I would shoot for the first 2, you probably could just collect urine yourself nd bring a urine collection in. Tarp and. Small box and wait for your lovely charlie to pee then scoop it up via syringe. Xxoo L and the gang

emilyam19

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:41 am

Thanks for the suggestions Wenton. I also want to get these things done soon since it looks like I will be moving to Oklahoma (I was supposed to move to NC a month ago but nothing is certain when it comes to the Army). I've been looking around for good vets in that area but it doesn't look promising. Since nobody needs frequent trips to the vet (knock on wood), I'll probably use a vet 1.5 hours away unless I need emergency care.

Just so I understand the terminology, what is the name of the test I got? I have it written down as "Intestinal parasites with giardiasis ELIS" but when I look it up I can't find much. I did find something called ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) -this means I copied it down wrong didn't I? Is that a fecal float?

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I had three Fecal examinations done on Zoe, a Wet Mount, Smear and a Flotation.

wenton5

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Emilyam19, I don't know if you copied it down wrong but I know my vet is like a human doctor or a teacher, I can't read his writing to save my life. Is is possible you could call them and clarify what is on his chart?
:)
L

emilyam19

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I agree about the hand writing (especially when you don't have any background in the subject so it's just a random guess). I think I copied this particular thing down from a receipt I got. I found it a few weeks ago and thought I put it back in his file but must've misplaced it. I did a little searching and think I copied it wrong. ELISA shows up in another pig's medical thread and I can't find any mention at all on the Internet about ELIS.

wenton5

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:53 am

Delaine, what does a wet mount detect in comparison to a flotation? Thx, Lara

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:44 pm

According to the information I wrote on Zoe's invoice at the time, it said the Wet Mount can detect ova and/or oocysts and the flotation was for parasites. I am guessing by what I wrote that maybe the flotation won't detect the eggs, but the Wet Mount will. I am not 100 % sure though.

wenton5

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks so muchl I know I read a thread here that broke all the fecal smears down exactly, but can't find it. Anyone know? Thx, best, L

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 am

Wenton, could this be the thread you mentioned?

viewtopic.php?t=36304

emilyam19

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 am

Fingers crossed, have an appointment in an hour to check out all of the suggestions you guys gave. Hopefully I can get some answers for Charlie.

wenton5

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks Emilyam, that isn't the thread but I like that one too! Good luck today and let us know how is all goes! :)