Charlie's Medical Thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 pm

We had a tiny chunk of Sandia's swollen/protruding conjunctiva sent off to the lab for histo and analysis. As best I recall it came back essentially what bpatters said. The clinician doing the analysis mentioned the possibility of some form of trauma (i.e., like a hay stalk) being a cause but mentioned it in general terms (vs. "that's what I think happened in this particular case").

What's important is that no actual infection was found, but Terramycin helped it. ??????? My husband and I came to the conclusion that the carrier used in the Terramycin ointment was doing more good than the antibiotic itself.

Steroids are one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents known. If the masses don't recede with the drops, an ointment with a steroid in it may do the trick. That said, if these are the same thing as what Sandia had, they never became infected and never seemed to trouble her. They looked sort of weird but that was it. As best I recall she didn't even particularly yell when the vet clipped a sample out.

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:12 am

Thanks so much Talishan. I had wondered if his earlier eye injury could've possibly contributed to this. I'll ask today to pick up the drops that include steroids in them rather than wait. Do you have any idea how long it took to see some progress with your pig?

emilyam19

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 am

I was way off on the name. Charlie is getting neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment once a day. It's a steroid so hopefully I’ll start to improvement soon.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Our vet said if you see improvement in 1 week, then the ointment is working. If you don't, then it isn't, and won't, work.

Exactly 7 days after we began using the ointment, the conjunctiva-chunks had vanished.

Keep us posted.

ETA: Terramycin is essentially what you have, without the steroid. What you have should work equally as well if not better.

emilyam19

Post   » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks again. I think this is exactly what Charlie needed. He had his second dose and already there’s a huge improvement. There is only one “glob” now after a single dose.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Carry on.

When you stop the ointment the glob(s) may return, although (if they're the same thing Sandia had) not real quickly.

126 posts