Choochi's ongoing eye problem

wenton5

Post   » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi, please forgive the crappy photos (if I can even get them on here), I am such a computer dork. I have been a little inactive on the forum due to a ton of personal stuff. Well, Choochi, he is my sensitive albino, prone to anything and also the love of my life. He has this ongoing eye issue. He has a sensitive constitution and head tilt (which has been addressed) . He has been to two very well respected exotic vets and they just say it is irritation, he has had his eye dialated and has been thoroughly checked out. He seems in good health but this eye issue just won't go away. I have tried saline solution, it sometimes takes care of the problem for a day or two. His eye is excreting the natural fluid it should. I keep the habitat spotless. None of my other 3 guineas have any signs of problem. I think he is poking his eye with hay, but hopefully from the photos you can see that the entire area are the eye gets irritated and inflammed. I just don't know what to do. He is active and eating, everything fine but it obviously bothers him. I have tried warm compress, has anyone encountered a problem like this? thanks, Lara and the gang

wenton5

Post   » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:55 pm

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t59 ... a29b19.jpg

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t59 ... 1d4753.jpg

Hope that worked, sorry Lynx if it is a mess, I am so computer illiterate, but I try.

Thank you everyone. Lara

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Re-evaluate bedding, get softer hay, continue with soothing, healing drops?

If you are seeing improvement with the drops, I guess I'd get them out any time this problem flared.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:35 pm

When ever by piggies get a hay poke I use AB ointment Chloropstone twice a day for 5 days and it clears right up. I store in freezer and when ever I want to use it I juSt grab it and hold in my hands for 10 minutes and use it. Hoping Romeo feels better real soon.

wenton5

Post   » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Lynx, I use fleece, the problem with getting softer hay is he won't eat the softer hay. Daisymay, chloropstone, is this a perscription drop? thanks to you both. L and the gang

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:51 am

Daisymay, chloropstone, is this a perscription drop? thanks to you both. L and the gang
Not sure how the USA works but I get the ointment from the vet when ever I need it. Don't need a script to get it.

wenton5

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks love. xo L

wenton5

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Does anyone know the equivalent to chloropstone in the US? I looked online and cant seem to find it . Daisymay? You just put it around the outside of their eye? thx

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:12 pm

It's sold in the US and Canada as chloramphenicol ophthalmic ointment.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Daisymay? You just put it around the outside of their eye?
You put a little bit in the eye itself and it melts on contact with the eye and you just rub the eye a bit. Do this twice a day for 5 days and if it is a hay poke it should clear up.

CF7

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:01 pm

You need a Neomycin/bacitracin antibacterial ointment. Your vet should be able to get it easily. This should be applied directly to the center of the surface of the eye twice a day or more if prescribed by your vet.

Ordinary sterile saline rinse once or more per day to flush the eye is good, especially if done immediately prior to the antibacterial ointment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:58 pm

Just make sure whatever you get is absolutely an ophthalmic (eye) ointment. Some ointments with the same ingredients are NOT meant to be used in the eye (read the directions).