Zoe's Medical Thread

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:56 pm

I just got back from the vet's and Zoe my 2 1/2 year old American sow has two very small bladder stones.

She has been slowly losing weight over the past 3 months so I took her for a wellness check last month. The vet could find nothing obvious and was not concerned about the weight loss. She was only a few grams lighter than she was the year before when the vet weighed her.

She is eating tons of hay, veggies, a few pellets (Oxbow Adult) and gets double washed grass this time of year.

I noticed she was having some blood in her urine so took her back for an X-ray which showed the two small stones.

Her vet suggested monitoring her for now because the stones were so small and I will start trying to get more water into her. Hopefully she will pass them.

My two sows do not have access to sun and eat very few pellets. I was wondering if any studies have been done on lack of Vitamin D and improper calcium absorption causing bladder stones? I know in humans Vitamin D is very important for proper calcium absorption.

Also, besides the limestone used as the calcium source in Oxbow pellets, could the pellets change the pH in the urine encouraging stone formation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Read over www.guinealynx.info/.html I don't know the answer to your last question. Do weigh regularly, perhaps even daily right now. If there is pain, you may see weight loss.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks Lynx:

I have read over the stone information several times. It says Vitamin D in required for proper absorption of calcium. What are the symptoms if calcium is not being absorbed properly (other than bone and teeth problems) and can it have an impact on stone formation?

I read on this forum that some members have removed pellets from their pig's diet. Are those members adding any supplements such as Vitamin D to replace the nutrients lost from the pellets?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 am

Vitamin D supplementation might be wise if they aren't getting any. I have a page of questions myself on stone formation. We don't have as much info as we need.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:46 am

Lynx:

Do you know how much Vitamin D a guinea pig requires?

I would be able to calculate approximately how much Vit. D Zoe is getting from her pellets. It would be hard to know for sure because I think her chubby sister eats a good portion of them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 pm

It is discussed on the stones page.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 pm

I have very good news.

Seven months ago two small stones showed up on Zoe's X-ray. I have made changes to her diet, increased floor time to 4 or 5 hours daily and added two more water bottles to the girls' cage.

Yesterday I took her in for another X-ray and her bladder is totally CLEAR of stones. Her vet was very surprised but pleased.

I had her show me the two X-rays side by side because I needed to see for myself. I am so happy and relieved.

In January I saw Zoe pass some very gritty urine with two very small stones in it. I am assuming they were the ones.

I have taken a picture of them but had some trouble trying to attach it. I am going to try again.

zazzified

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:21 pm

That's great news. Have you asked your vet about polycitra? Jeeves had two stones back to back that had to be surgically removed a few years ago, and nightly polycitra in addition to diet changes (veggie changes, and I banned Oxbow pellets in favor of Kleenmama) have kept him stone free (with a couple short scares that I think were sludge early on) for a few years since. (Knock on wood!!) It's dirt cheap, too. My current vet ordered a whole human-sized bottle from Costco and I think it cost me $14. It'll expire before I ever get through it. Even when my old vets only called in a one month supply at a time I never paid more than $12 a month. I'm not sure if polycitra is available where you are but you might want to see about it because it's a cheap way to know you're doing all you can.

Shilintong is another thing to look into. We don't use it regularly but I keep it around for scares.
Last edited by zazzified on Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Here is the picture of her small stones.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I am doing something wrong. I will try again.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 pm

I haven't asked about polycitra yet. The next time I take the girls in to their vet I will ask her about it. Compared to the cost of vet bills polycitra is a bargain.

I think the extra exercise has really helped and changing from Oxbow pellets to only 1 tsp. KMS pellets am and pm.

zazzified

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Yeah, we were on Oxbow before too. It's a good brand in general but it seems like stone pigs often have trouble on them and KM has been good for us. Plus they're such nice pellets anyway!